Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kastein posted:

The fire department put the kibosh on burning more until I have a proper outdoor fireplace put together and inspected by their head honcho. So that's unfortunately out for now...

Where do they stand on poo poo just magically setting itself on fire? drat kids with their boxes of matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Routers are the best. Set yourself up with a jig and you can do things amazingly quickly and accurately.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

tomapot posted:

Seriously, if we found our house with the issues that you or your parent's house had my wife would start weeping and I would be thinking about arson. You just roll up your sleeves and get stuff done, hats off to you.

I was thinking the same. Burn everything, buy a new house.

I respect the amount of work you put in, man. I'd have no loving clue when it comes to this stuff.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Why do Americans not use bricks to build things? I mean I like wood and everything but brick seems to last one hell of a lot longer, my house is a Victorian era brick build so from about 1850-1900 and the only thing wrong with it is a bit of plaster crumbling.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

kastein posted:

My next house will be mostly underground, a mix of cast in place concrete, prestressed concrete or structural steel, and granite or fully fired (none of this cheesy half vitrified bullshit I'm dealing with now) brick for exterior. Probably a standing seam metal roof. I am loving sick and tired of other people's piss poor maintenance issues causing me grief and want whatever I build next to last forever.

This sounds immensely cool. I've kinda always wanted a bunker home or just one set into the side of a hill. I want to be able to ride a dirt bike on top of my house...

Also thanks for the replies about brick houses, I figured out after I posted that earthquakes probably had something to do with a lot of it as well as abundance of trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it is here too, on occasion you'll get brick builds with sections of pointless wood panelling. Some of it looks really cool, most terrible though. I do like the style of places in Northern Europe, they use a lot of wood and use it really well.

I'm kinda sad it isn't really a thing here in the UK, I've been playing with wood for a few years now and it seems like it'd be infinitely easier to master/build stuff with it than to learn bricklaying and get good with it. The simple fact you can use great big fasteners is no doubt a huge help.

Anyway derail over, consider my question answered. Thanks. :)