Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Poisonlizard posted:

This, most of us do it at least once. Kind of a right of passage, like shooting yourself with a nail gun.

Been there, done that.

I shot myself with 3 1/4 inch framing nail (luckily not a 16 since my Bostich nailer won't shoot those), right through my left middle finger. I *think* it went above the bone (I was able to pull it out myself and didn't go to the hospital). Although if you look at the scar, it certainly looks like it would have gone right through it. The crazy thing is the little wire bits from the coil stopped right before it went into my skin - otherwise I'm certain I would have had to go to the ER to get it cut out.

I bought the nailer used and it came with the contact fire trigger. Great for sheeting, not so great for framing when you need to accurately place a nail. I had a wall laying down and was nailing on the top plate - I was holding the outside 2x4 with my left hand and tried to place the first nail. The nailgun recoil-fired a nail right along the first stud and into my finger.

I assessed the situation, took a photo, and decided to pull it out myself rather than go to the hospital. I have a high deductible health plan, so an ER trip would be a minimum of $1,150 out of my pocket. I could move the nail and bend my finger (as much as you can bend it when there's a nail sticking in it), so I gave it a shot.

I got extremely lucky - I have full range of motion of that finger and didn't get an infection. I went out and bought the sequential fire trigger the following Monday (something I put off doing because I thought they'd have to order it and it turned out they had one on the shelf).

I still love my nailgun, even if it is the second most dangerous tool I own.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU