Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

kastein posted:

I asked the building inspector who he would recommend for asbestos siding removal last time he was out here to take a look around, and he said gently caress that, he could write me a permit for that no problem if I jumped through the right hoops. I've read the paperwork he gave me and it really doesn't look too bad - I obviously have to wear protection, put down a dropcloth, soak the work area, and double bag all debris, avoiding breakage. Then I have to deal with some paperwork and have a licensed disposal firm haul it away. It looks like it will cost well under 200 a ton (most I've seen cost 60-150 a ton, in fact) to dispose of the waste, the permit will cost me a few hundred, and the tyvek suits and respirator filter packs shouldn't cost more than a few hundred either.
I don't know what it's like in your area, but around here, it's about $2000 to have a company come in and remove asbestos siding from a tiny house. This is because any company that claims it's certified for asbestos removal is heavily regulated, and they pay a lot for disposal fees.

Your average homeowner, on the other hand, can do it themselves by paying the local dump $75 to dig a hole and bury it. Most people do it themselves.

At least the asbestos slate is basically just cement board with some asbestos fibers mixed in, so it's pretty stable if you follow the proper procedures. The asbestos insulation, on the other hand, is scary, scary stuff.

Plotterboy posted:

Yeah if its flakingneeds to go. Sorry for the knee jrek but its the automatic for me. Even here in australia with our stringent work processes for buildings you get people who think they can pull it out themselves. I once had a guy walk in with a bag of the poo poo he pulled off his house when I was working in a hardware store asking where to put it.

The US kind of lucked out with the asbestos craze. Most of what got used here was chrysotile (white asbestos), which while still carcinogenic, supposedly causes cancer less often than the amphibole type (blue or brown asbestos). So how your local government views asbestos removal may vary pretty drastically based on which form was more common for your area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

kastein posted:

E: I am curious. For the actual contractors in the house, how much would you charge for a project like this beam replacement or the foundation repairs I've been doing? I am in no way charging my parents for this, but I am debating getting my contractors license and starting a side business doing repairs like this as it is something I am decent at and figure I could make some good money doing occasionally. It sucks while I'm getting started and not emotionally invested in a project yet, but fistfuls of money tend to reduce that somewhat.

You asked about this a while ago, but for reference, we had our entire basement replaced (previously a half basement at 6 feet dug out to a full basement at 8 feet/all new concrete/all new sill plate) for $17,000. He replaced some rotted beams as he came across them. It took the mason 6 weeks, working 5 days a week, from 8 AM until 4 PM. Sometimes he had one helper. The house was a basic rectangle, about 800 square feet.

We lived in the house the whole time, and I am so, so sorry for what you're going through on your house and your parents' house.