Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
When you call Home Depot, have a quote from another lumber yard handy and ask to talk to the pro desk. They'll usually knock 10-20% off their estimate if it's higher or equal to the competitor's. They also do quantity discounts and if you're buying more stuff on one ticket, all the better.

I have to say, I'm jealous of what you've accomplished so far. I want to buy and renovate a house so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

The master bedroom is 13x15 with sloped ceilings even including the fact that I knocked down the closet walls (which will be put back up) and the other bedrooms are smaller. Even the main (currently only) bathroom is only 8x8.

What about popping out a dormer to accommodate a small half-bath?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

The only room that's likely to be tile is the bathroom, which is like 8x8 and only about 5x8 will actually be tiled... minus the space the vanity takes up.

You should seriously consider laying tile under the vanity anyway. It doesn't cost much more for the extra few tiles, it's easier to just spread thinset across the whole open area vs. cordoning off the little space that will be under the vanity, and It'll save you or a future owner a ton of headache later if you decide to change to either a pedestal or a vanity with a smaller footprint.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

God loving damnit imgur your mobile app is the biggest turd pile. Those images were 100% uploaded, they were there when I posted. Then the loving app kept a progress bar open on my phone for 6 hours (even though the images uploaded in a few minutes) and loving deleted them when I hit the cancel button to make it go away.

loving software devs are worse than hitler, will fix in a bit

It's not just the imgur app. I'm pretty sure their servers are powered by some gerbils.

I've always found sweating joints kinda zen. There's something supremely satisfying seeing the solder just wick around while the flux bubbles.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At least they'll be curtains made out of welded metal and old engine blocks.

Nah. They'll still be fabric curtains, but they'll be kevlar-reinforced and hung on steel curtain rods welded to brackets lag-bolted into stud.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rectal Placenta posted:

You mean bolted to the steel column that runs through the floor to a concrete pad in the basement. Also chain-mail somehow.

Indeed. Incidentally, I love knitting chain mail. It's surprisingly relaxing and I can do it while binging on Netflix.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Is it possible to hang a bunch of I-beams in front of a window like vertical blinds and then turn the little thing on one side to open and close them?

I don't know about "little" thing on the side, but you could probably work something out using a few junkyard transfer cases and steering boxes or the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Laminator posted:

That looks nice, never would have guessed it was vinyl by how it looks. How does it feel - does it have that kind of sticky feeling that some vinyl flooring has?

I just installed LVP in two rooms. I don't know what the stuff tetra installed is like but this feels... not sticky, but kinda like wood with a thick coat of poly? It's noticeably softer than wood but it still feels pretty good underfoot.