Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Easily my favourite project thread in the forums so far. It's one thing to build a house from scratch, that's easy. But taking an older house and trying to get it to "make sense" and not be a huge heatsink is a real challenge. I've got an 84 year old house thats required a lot of work to make it look like someone actually cares, and I still have not tackled the outside. It's really cool how you can do so much demolition and really "mix things up", I wish I had that option, but it's a little different when you and your wife have to live in it at the same time.

Keep the pics coming, and explain your custom title. . . it looks like an interesting story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kastein posted:

My yard may look pretty hillbilly right now with the piles of demolition debris in it, but I don't want it to stay that way. I'm not sure a half-buried bathtub firepit would add exactly the ambiance I'm aiming for.

1/2 buried toilet!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My dump is free to drop off construction rubble at (assuming you're not using a dumptruck or large trailer, then you have to pay) because the end of every bush sideroad would have a nice pile of drywall and old siding. Back about 15 years ago you used to have to pay $5-$25 dollars for a 1/2 ton->dump truck load of rubble, but like I said, little "dumps" started popping up everywhere. One contractor got caught dumping at his favourite spot which had turned into a 15m x 15m x 10' tall pile of trash. By sifting through it and checking out the colours of the different siding and other highly visible building materials, officials talked to some people around town and figured out who it was by the colour of the houses he was working on. I think they figured that he had dumped about 10-15 times due to the volume of the material there and fined him upwards of $20,000. After that, the contractors stopped dumping overnight, and it was only retired old fuckfaces who think paying $10 for a once in a decade renovation dump-outing is outrageous. About 10 years ago they changed it so only pros with big loads really have to pay.

The reserves are really bad for that around here. One reserve can dump freely at the local municipal dump, but it's a shorter distance to drive down a sideroad and leave all your household trash in massive piles everywhere. I even checked it out on google earth, and it's turns out to only be 300m shorter than actually driving to the dump from the middle of the reserve. Apparently the new chief is trying to get a dumptruck to stop this as it doesn't reflect well on their "closer to nature" angle when dealing with the different municipalities in the area.

Ok, enough dump talk, start posting some pictures of your progress on your house! I want to see what you've done upstairs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Every time I get pissed off about the state of the addition on the back of my house I come to this thread and thank my lucky stars I don't have your mess! Were you some sort of war criminal in a previous life to deserve this?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Splizwarf posted:

Fully expecting tornado/earthquake/lahar hours after he tells us his goals are finally accomplished. :v:

My money's on Italian boulder out of nowhere!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I honestly can't think of a job I would hate to do more than what I'm looking at. God Speed!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I did the exact same thing with my old washer, except I used 8mm Mauser.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
drat! And I thought having to put in 18 support columns to level an 8x16' addition was a nightmare.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sir Cornelius posted:

Must be load-bearing carpenter ants then. They might just be trying to save you from catastrophe.

No, it's their insulating properties that make carpenter ants great.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
When kastein is finally finished there is going to be an abrupt end to his posts on the forums. A week later a goon is going to post a scan of an article in the local newspaper about a homeowner who shot himself. The article will mention how the police found two pieces of paper. One is a list of building supplies and a final total. The other is an estimate of what it would have cost to demolish the house and build a new one from scratch.

The totals on both are exactly the same number!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So did you ever test those exterior tiles for Asbestos?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
If you had to come up with a number, what percent of the wood in your house (before you started working) was structurally sound?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Honestly, what percent of the finished house is going to be original materials (from when you bought it)? Exterior walls and Rafters?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Gat drat. And I thought moving my 30 sheets around was heavy. My back hurts just looking at that.

(How helpful is the drywall handle? I should have gotten one for myself...)

I delivered for Rona for two summers while I was in high school and the worst thing I ever had to do was move ~100 sheets of drywall off the truck and into the house. Half of them went to the 2nd floor, half of them went to the basement. None remained on the main floor. By wrists were swollen for a full week, and for three days I had a lot of difficulty and pain trying to close my fist. After work that day I had to call my mom to pick me up since I couldn't reliably hold on to the wheel of my car.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

H110Hawk posted:

If we're vacuum posturing gently caress all this lugging a motor around crap. Central vac is the only true way to clean your house. Even if the filter isn't HEPA the exhaust is outside where it doesn't matter. We had one at my childhood house which my dad solo installed, we had a goddamned menagerie of long haired cats, various dog(s), and some birds.

It was the thing that finally cut the dust in that house. The first month of running that thing was horrifying. We emptied it after every run for the first couple of days, then every few runs, and finally a more normal schedule.

He got insurance to pay for part of it and didn't pay sales tax on the rest with a letter of medical necessity for my asthma and allergies. (You know, to all those animals.)

If you can install the piping, then this is the only answer.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

daslog posted:

This is really the best advice, except I would find a real estate agent now even if you are not ready to list. He might tell you to stop everything and just sell as is because the market is so hot, or he might say "Don't do X because it doesn't add value to the house."

X2

Depending on location, the market, and the demographic that's currently buying in your neighborhood, additional work and finishings might be diminishing returns, or even detrimental to a good sale.

My brother was in the process of finishing his basement when they were selling and had the walls framed and was about to sheet them. His realtor told him to stop, as just hinting at a finished basement added more value (on their end) than spending money to actually finish it.

Realtors (good ones) know how to sell a home for the highest price possible so as to get the biggest commission. Get one and listen to what they say.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Reality TV fake? Say it isn't so.

My aunt was a dog trainer and a network (HGTV?) wanted her to do the Canadian version of the dog whisperer. They basically laid out how it was going to work and she gave them a solid, "gently caress no".

-actor dogs that are trained to act aggressive
-actor dog owners to add drama/hijinks
-actor staff for her dog training business to add drama/hijinks
-her family would have to have reoccurring roles to add drama/hijinks
-she would have to have a "nemesis" (another dog trainer)
-season cliffhangers

She said it was quite surreal and at no point would real clients be involved unless used for background stuff during "The Office"-style monologues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Canada's the same. Also nobody with more than 1/3 a brain buys eavetrough/gutters from a store. Everyone just calls a service and has them custom rolled on site and installed with a warranty.

https://youtu.be/p0ppzB47nj4