Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

I haven't done it in the basement yet either, maybe you're thinking of Jaded Burnout? I saw that going in with gypcrete in their thread.

I think you may be thinking of someone else as well; I don't have a basement. Unless by "radiant heat" you're talking about underfloor heating, and not infrared?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Yeah, that's what we call underfloor heating in the United States of COVID19. At least what I've always seen it called. I didn't think it was in your basement since I didn't remember you having one, but it was the only thread I'd seen radiant/underfloor heating in recently.

I do got a lot of it, for sure, under screed on the majority of the ground floor and between the joists everywhere else.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

(It's actually a layer of 8280 lattice strapping behind base cap trim because I had to use 5/4 baseboards to cover the gap between the flooring and the wall. I'll use 1-by baseboards and skip the 8280 in future rooms, now that I know to ignore the instructions and make the flooring go closer to the wall, especially since I left expansion room for it under the edge of the drywall.)

:thunk:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Wow that sucks, guess I'll skip plastic then.

Counterpoint, the plastic guttering on my house lasted almost 30 years.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a fair point that my ones won't have seen a whole lot of snow, though you can bet they've made up for it in rain.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Verra nice!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This is only reinforcing for me that tiling earns its place on my "never do it myself if at all possible" list.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Looks really nice painted. Good job.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What's the tape for?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Shows the edges of the subfloor, so you don't try to drive a nail into the gap between the plywood, I think?

Ah, could be that! I've got floating floors so they don't get pinned down.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I bought the glue when I got the flooring. There's a better than pretty good chance the glue is a nice, solid weight in the bucket now. Some projects just never get off the ground.

I've got a box with a fibreglass kit slowly offgassing in a plastic crate somewhere, I'm betting those OCs won't be so V when I finally get around to it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If you say Feb 29th you get an extra two years :ssh:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

meatpimp posted:

It's this, and it's maddening. The only way I see a fully flat wall happen is to skim coat the entire thing and then get something fancy like the Festool drywall sander and surface the entire wall.

A decent plasterer will give you a perfectly serviceable smooth wall without much if any sanding, not sure how common they are in the US though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

When you see people post/talk about textured walls they are not in the northeast. West coast in particular has nobody who knows how to finish a wall properly. Half the placed I see out there you can see the tape lines THROUGH the popcorn bullshit on the ceilings.

Only the shittiest of cheap rear end places around here have texture anywhere.

So, depending on where you are you absolutely can find plenty of people who know how to drywall and even plaster/skim coat.

Reno drywallers are increasingly using a "no sand" method that probably takes years and years to learn, but basically ends up with a very watered down final coat that can be wet sponge wiped smooth so you don't end up with a house full of plaster dust.

The only downside I've found to having a long tradition of plastering trades is that they seem to judge their place in the hierarchy on how smooth they can get the final product to be, with "marble" or "glassy" being the pinnacle of the trade. Which is good in principle but I've found it can lead to walls so smooth that the paint doesn't have much to key onto and becomes more likely to lift off via painters' tape etc, so I wind up having to sand it anyway. But at least they're flat.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

That's silly, they are confusing surface flatness and surface finish. A rookie machinists mistake. Amateurs.

(Say this to see if they pop a gasket)

I guarantee the response would be "huh?".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Sanding never ends. I'm going to be sanding this drat kitchen until I am old and gray. Or young and gray as the case may be, seeing as my dust collection system ain't so great.

It may be too late to suggest this, but if you're using an orbital sander then I exclusively switched to abranet / autonet pads because the mesh nature of them prevents clogging and makes dust collection more effective.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Why are you still single?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good work, man. I could feel all the effort through the screen.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Fair enough! The next owner really ought to have at least one thing they can shake their fist at PO about, and given how insanely thorough you've been on everything else, this is a pretty drat minor quibble.

You also don't have to put trim around the window opening if you don't want to.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

God loving dammit

Are you going to be closing up the ceiling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Plus a roof, some flooring, just take the whole house.