Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Dr Scoofles posted:

Speaking of attractive mummies:
http://lastdaysoftheincas.com/wordpress/?p=194 (linked for really well preserved 500 year old dead girl)

I'm not saying she's hot in a sexy way because that would be hosed up and gross, I'm just saying I am amazed at how perfectly preserved this beautiful young woman is. It creeps me out a little as she looks so alive, like she could open her eyes at any moment.

She looks so lonely in that chamber. :(

Japanese hottie from 19th century.

A total babe from 1920's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?
I like this photo of this Inuit woman from 1907.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Doll House Ghost posted:

That's Evelyn Brent. I'm a huge silent film fan, she was a great actress.

As long as we're talking hotties of the silent world, you can't forget the gorgeous Louise "Lulu" Brooks. :love:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheKracken
Oct 16, 2011

Doll House Ghost posted:

She has the most perfect profile I've ever seen. That nose!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

InediblePenguin posted:

Eugene Bullard.

An American from Georgia, the first African-American military combat pilot, and the only African-American aviator in WWI, although he never flew for the US. He had kind of a hard-knock life, ran away from home at the age of 11, stowed away on a ship to Europe, ended up in London doing boxing and slapstick with a troupe called "Belle Davis's Freedman Pickaninnies", moved to Paris, and ended up joining the French Foreign Legion when the war broke out in '14. He got injured at Verdun, and while he was recuperating he bet a buddy a cool two grand that he could join the flying corps even though he was black. He was right - got his wings with the Aéronautique Militaire in '17.

The insignia on his airplane was a heart with a dagger through it and the words "All Blood Runs Red." He got the nickname "The Black Swallow of Death." Look at that picture. He's so cool.

You left out the parts where he marries a French Countess, runs a nightclub in France, bangs Josephine Baker, fights the Nazis in WWII and relights the eternal flame at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at the Arc de Triumphe at the invitation of the French Government.

Seriously, I'm not making any of that up. Dude owns.

edit: oh yeah, he was also a Knight of the Légion d'honneur.

Of course, when he came back to America he had to put up with poo poo like this:

That's Bullard being attacked by some New York State Police and an anti-union thug at a music concert in Peekskill NY in 1949.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Apr 15, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This guy made his way across Greece and Persia, loving every hot person he met and betraying everyone who employed him. Also the hottest guy of his generation, according to Plato.

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
Yuri Gagarin, first man in space. Love that smile.

Delilah Fawkes
Jan 6, 2012

*Utterly Shameless*

magic pantaloons posted:

I like this photo of this Inuit woman from 1907.

She's got such a warm face :3:.

I've always had a mega History Crush on Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen, AKA The Red Baron!

He was known as the "Ace of Aces" in WWI for his incredible aerial badassery, with 80 confirmed kills, more than any other German pilot. :black101:

Even though he was on the wrong team, and a life-long foe of Snoopy's, I still thing he's smokin' rear end hot!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Delilah Fawkes posted:

I've always had a mega History Crush on Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen, AKA The Red Baron!

He was known as the "Ace of Aces" in WWI for his incredible aerial badassery, with 80 confirmed kills, more than any other German pilot. :black101:

Even though he was on the wrong team, and a life-long foe of Snoopy's, I still thing he's smokin' rear end hot!

Hells ya. Little guy, big dose of courage.

Ganraam
Feb 26, 2005

Whatever he does represents both a gain and a loss, an arrival and a departure.
Konstantin Rokossovsky, a Soviet general who made some pretty tough decisions. He was purged by Stalin, tortured by the KGB, but then rehabilitated and reinstated as a general to fight the Nazis when they invaded the Soviet Union. After the war he was military governor of Poland for some years.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Madhubala, Indian actress in the 50s.

And a video- "Pyar Kiya to Darna Kya" from 1960's Mughal-E-Azam, still the second-highest grossing Indian film ever (adjusted) and considered the best film of her career.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Conchita Montenegro.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

bonestructure posted:

Glenn Gould, a great pianist and interpreter of Bach and a stone fox in his disheveled youth. :swoon:

God:drat: that was one gorgeous man. Absolute perfection.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Venus of Willendorf :pervert:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rosalind Franklin, scientist who had her work on the shape of DNA stolen by Watson and Crick, and my super nerdy science crush. :swoon:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Jayne Mansfield:

And here's another Amelia Earhart.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So many of my picks have already come up, but here's a few:

Anne Bronte

The most beautiful of the three sisters, not to mention the best writer.

I'd risk getting eviscerated by her peerless wit just to hit on Dorothy Parker.

This dapper motherfucker. I couldn't find his name.

Olympias - the ruthless, murderous mother of Alexander the Great. I've always had a weakness for crazies.

I'm probably alone on this one. Emily Dickinson :3:

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
A young Virginia Woolf

There's like..no other picture of her when she was young.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

Jayne Mansfield:

You can't post Jayne Mansfield and not post this pic!

She was THE blonde bombshell in Hollywood after Marilyn Monroe.

Tagichatn has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Apr 17, 2012

desert diver
Mar 30, 2010

Zhou Enlai:

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Tagichatn posted:

You can't post Jayne Mansfield and not post this pic!

She was THE blonde bombshell in Hollywood after Marilyn Monroe.

I like how Sophia Loren (?) is looking at her tits and is jealous of them.

Sad about what happened to Jayne though :(

magic pantaloons has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Apr 17, 2012

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
"Gone with the Wind" author Margaret Mitchell :allears:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I always thought Sherman looked like a total badass.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I always thought Sherman looked like a total badass.

He punched the South so hard that the economy still has yet to recover.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
Has Orson Welles been mentioned?

He aged gracefully, too:

And then there's Welles' contemporary the venerable W.H. Auden.

Time was... less than kind to him:

demoneyespaul
Sep 14, 2007

PIATPIATPIAT!
David Vivian Currie, Canadian recipient of the Victoria Cross. He was a Major in the South Alberta Regiment during the Second World War, and one handsome devil:

VC Citation posted:

In Normandy on the 18th of August 1944, Major Currie was in command of a small mixed force of Canadian tanks, self-propelled anti-tank guns and infantry which was ordered to cut one of the main escape routes from the Falaise pocket.

This force was held up by strong enemy resistance in the village of St. Lambert-sur-Dives, and two tanks were knocked out by 88 mm. guns. Major Currie immediately entered the village alone on foot at last light through the enemy outposts to reconnoiter the German defences and extricate the crews of the disabled tanks, which he succeeded in doing in spite of heavy mortar fire.

Early the following morning, without any previous artillery bombardment, Major Currie personally led an attack on the village in the face of fierce opposition from enemy tanks, guns and infantry, and by noon had succeeded in seizing and consolidating a position half-way inside of the village.

During the next 36 hours the Germans hurled one counter-attack after another against the Canadian force, but so skillfully had Major Currie organized his defensive position that these attacks were repulsed with severe casualties to the enemy after heavy fighting.

At dusk on the 20th August the Germans attempted to mount a final assault on the Canadian positions, but the attacking force was routed before it could even be deployed. Seven enemy tanks, 12 88 mm. guns and 40 vehicles were destroyed, 300 Germans were killed, 500 wounded and 2,100 captured. Major Currie then promptly ordered an attack and completed the capture of the village, thus denying the Chambois-Trun escape route to the remnants of two German Armies cut off in the Falaise pocket.

Throughout three days and nights of fierce fighting, Major Currie's gallant conduct and contempt for danger set a magnificent example to all ranks of the force under his command.

On one occasion he personally directed the fire of his command tank on to a Tiger tank which had been harassing his position and succeeded in knocking it out. During another attack, while the guns of his command tank were taking on other targets at longer ranges, he used a rifle from the turret to deal with individual snipers who had infiltrated to within 50 yards of his headquarters. The only time reinforcements were able to get through to his force, he himself led the 40 men forward to their positions and explained the importance of their task as part of the defence. When, during the next attack, these new reinforcements withdrew under the intense fire brought down by the enemy, he personally collected them and led them forward into position again, where, inspired by his leadership, they held for the remainder of the battle. His employment of the artillery support, which became available after his original attack went in, was typical of his cool calculation of the risks involved in every situation. At one time, despite the fact that short rounds were falling within fifteen yards of his own tank, he ordered fire from medium artillery to continue because of its devastating effect upon the attacking enemy in his immediate area.

Throughout the operations the casualties to Major Currie's force were heavy. However, he never considered the possibility of failure or allowed it to enter the minds of his men. In the words of one of his non-commissioned officers, "We knew at one stage that it was going to be a fight to the finish but he was so cool about it, it was impossible for us to get excited." Since all the officers under his command were either killed or wounded during the action, Major Currie virtually had no respite from his duties and in fact obtained only one hour's sleep during the entire period. Nevertheless he did not permit his fatigue to become apparent to his troops and throughout the action took every opportunity to visit weapon pits and other defensive posts to talk to his men, to advise them as to the best use of their weapons and to cheer them with words of encouragement. When his force was finally relieved and he was satisfied that the turnover was complete he fell asleep on his feet and collapsed.

There can be no doubt that the success of the attack on and stand against the enemy at St. Lambert-sur-Dives can largely be attributed to this officer's coolness, inspired leadership and skillful use of the limited weapons at his disposal.

The courage and devotion to duty shown by Major Currie during a prolonged period of heavy fighting were outstanding and had a far-reaching effect on the successful outcome of the battle.

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

bonestructure posted:

As long as we're talking hotties of the silent world, you can't forget the gorgeous Louise "Lulu" Brooks. :love:

Yeah, Louise Brooks was absolutely amazing

She had a temper that was legendary, and had totally burned her bridges with the entertainment industry by the late 30's. Unlike a lot of silent era stars however, she didn't drink herself to death.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

magic pantaloons posted:

I like how Sophia Loren (?) is looking at her tits and is jealous of them.

I don't think the stare has anything to do with jealousy but rather how ridiculously revealing the dress is and deliberate posing to further emphasise that. A few bonus pic from that night:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

demoneyespaul posted:

Holy Colin Mochrie doppelganger :stare:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Now that is a jealousy stare.

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Farbtoner posted:

Venus of Willendorf :pervert:

Thich Quang Duc

Because the other cliche answer had been done. Legitimately looks good in the painting though.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Frostwerks posted:

Now that is a jealousy stare.

Nah, I think she's just wondering when the silly things are going to break loose.

Nell Gwyn! "Pretty, witty" Nell was King Charles II's mistress and one of the first English actresses in the 1660s. She's accumulated many, many anecdotes, particularly about jokes she told on herself. Who knows which ones are true, but here's a couple from Wikipedia.

"Nell Gwynn was one day passing through the streets of Oxford, in her coach, when the mob mistaking her for her rival, the Duchess of Portsmouth, commenced hooting and loading her with every opprobrious epithet. Putting her head out of the coach window, 'Good people,' she said, smiling, 'you are mistaken; I am the Protestant whore.'" (The "Catholic whore," Dutchess of Portsmouth, was Louise de Kérouaille, another of the king's mistresses.)

And once her coachman got into a fight with another person who had called Nell Gwyn a whore. She broke up the fight, saying, "I am a whore. Find something else to fight about."

Besides being Charles' mistress, she hung out with some pretty cool people of the time, including Aphra Behn, one of the first women in England to make her living as a writer.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
Lady Elizabeth Butler. Did a lot of Britain, gently caress yeah! military paintings during the 1800s. A chick into military history? *swoon*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Thompson

Spartan421 has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Apr 18, 2012

utada
Jun 6, 2006

I had the craziest dream last night. I was dancing the White Swan.
Ava Lowle Willing aka, the first Mrs. John Jacob Astor.

(Sorry about the watermark)

She was a stone cold bitch but even as a straight woman, I've always thought she was really quite beautiful.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
From days back:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I seem to recall some story where the two swapped royal outfits when they had a meeting together to gently caress with their staffs but I can't find a reliable source for it. Do you have any information on that?

This sounds familiar. The one story that I remember clearly was both of them being in London during the celebration of George's wedding - people would congratulate Nicholas on "his" wedding/marriage while George would get asked how he liked London so far.

Rasler posted:

He's the most handsome of the three, and was also the gayest, and the craziest, and the stupidest.

Wilhelm was the Paulie Walnuts of the royals.

To contribute, French actor Jean Gabin:

Lucania has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Apr 18, 2012

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't want this thread to die. :(

Someone already posted Sophie Scholl, but they missed this absolutely adorable photo of her. Every time I look at it I want to break that loving janitor's face.

The Nachthexen ("Night Witches") as the Germans knew them. Not only are there lots of cuties in the bunch, but these girls had some serious balls. Turning off the engines of your WWI-era planes mid-dive for a silent approach? :drat:

Now for some hotties from ancient history. A young Alexander the great and a middle-aged Aristotle. Granted, Alexander was sort of an alcoholic megalomaniac, but I'd do anything to sit in on one of those classes just to fawn over these guys.

Will Durant :love:

Auda ibu Tayi. A nomadic badass who was just as renowned for his formidable skills in combat as his generosity. Even Anthony Quinn couldn't do him justice.

The News at 5
Dec 25, 2009

I'm Chance Everyman.
How can we have all these beautiful silent-era actresses and no Lillian Gish?
http://imgur.com/LXXz8,CNzyz,fyGGR

Also, have some Anna Held
http://imgur.com/LXXz8,CNzyz,fyGGR#1

And check out the smoulder on this young man
http://imgur.com/LXXz8,CNzyz,fyGGR#2

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Palpatine MD posted:

He aged gracefully, too:

The words "Orson Welles" and "aged gracefully" is a huge contradiction:

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007