Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

stefania_r posted:

Classic historical hottie:

Saying this as a completely straight dude, Stalin may have been a mass murdering sociopath, but he was pretty loving stunning looking too. All the way to the old age too (looking at you Tito, Castro, and Mao...wait, no Mao was always ugly).

Oh, and if anyone wonders why George, Nicholas and Wilhelm looked how they looked, look no further:

Those are some pretty great genes to have rolling around in your DNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

khwarezm posted:

Keep in mind that most of the photos that exist of him after the revolution were very heavily doctored to remove his personal blemish's and his nasty smallpox scars, they were so prominent that he was known as "the pockmarked one" while he was operating in the Georgian underground.
He was also short!

Yeah, well, Edward James Olmos, so there. :colbert:

Also, shortness doesn't stop people from looking good. Actually surprisingly common with revolutionaries too:

(Che Guevara, Fidel Castro, Josip Broz Tito and Ho Chi Minh)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

InediblePenguin posted:

Eugene Bullard.

An American from Georgia, the first African-American military combat pilot, and the only African-American aviator in WWI, although he never flew for the US. He had kind of a hard-knock life, ran away from home at the age of 11, stowed away on a ship to Europe, ended up in London doing boxing and slapstick with a troupe called "Belle Davis's Freedman Pickaninnies", moved to Paris, and ended up joining the French Foreign Legion when the war broke out in '14. He got injured at Verdun, and while he was recuperating he bet a buddy a cool two grand that he could join the flying corps even though he was black. He was right - got his wings with the Aéronautique Militaire in '17.

The insignia on his airplane was a heart with a dagger through it and the words "All Blood Runs Red." He got the nickname "The Black Swallow of Death." Look at that picture. He's so cool.

That's one of the most badass things/pictures I've seen in months.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Nancy Pelosi was downright adorable in her youth.

...is that Kennedy?

Did...did they...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
:stare: Time and copious amounts of alcohol were not kind to him.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Alive people count?

Michael Caine and his wife, Shakira Caine.

quote:

After seeing Baksh in a television advertisement for Maxwell House coffee, British actor Michael Caine became obsessed with finding the woman he considered to be "the most beautiful... he had ever seen."

Hard time disagreeing with you there, dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Schweinhund posted:

Alice Hathaway Lee Roosevelt

Teddy Roosevelt's first wife who died from childbirth.

Clicked the link to the daughter that survived...

goddamn

EDIT: that's a photograph! :stare:

Apparently she was pretty awesome too.

quote:

Longworth led an unconventional and controversial life. Despite her love for her legendary father, she proved to be almost nothing like him. Her marriage to Representative Nicholas Longworth (Republican-Ohio), a party leader and 43rd Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, was shaky, and the couple's only child was a result of her affair with Senator William Borah of Idaho. She temporarily became a Democrat during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, and proudly boasted in a 60 Minutes interview with Eric Sevareid, televised on February 17, 1974, that she was a "hedonist".

Alice Longworth was renowned for her "brilliantly malicious" humor, even in this sensitive situation, since she had originally wanted to name her and the senator's love child "Deborah," as in "de Borah." And according to one family friend, "everybody called her [Paulina] 'Aurora Borah Alice.'"

EDIT 2: Seriously, how I have never heard of this woman, her life was apparently just one scalding burn after another:

quote:

To Senator Joseph McCarthy, who had jokingly remarked at a party, "Here's my blind date. I am going to call you Alice," she responded acidly, "Senator McCarthy, you are not going to call me Alice. The trashman and the policeman on my block call me Alice, but you may not."

Her long friendship with Nixon ended at the conclusion of the Watergate Scandal, specifically when Nixon quoted her father's diary at his resignation, saying, "Only if you've been to the lowest valley can you know how great it is to be on the highest mountain top." This infuriated Longworth, who spat curse words at her television screen as she watched him

When asked if she would be buried in Cincinnati, she said that to do so "would be a fate worse than death itself."

On May 11, 1908, Longworth similarly amused herself in the Capitol's gallery at the House of Representatives by placing a tack on the chair of an unknown but "middle-aged" and "dignified" gentleman. Upon encountering the tack, "like the burst of a bubble on the fountain, like the bolt from the blue, like the ball from the cannon," the unfortunate fellow leapt up in pain and surprise while Mrs. Longworth looked away.

Mrs Taft offended Longworth by offering her an invitation to the White House; upon receiving the invitation, Longworth asked, "Me--who walked the halls of the White House for so many years?"

As an example of her attitudes on race, in 1965 her African-American chauffeur and one of her best friends, Turner, was driving Longworth to an appointment. During the trip, he pulled out in front of a taxi, and the driver got out and demanded to know of him, "What do you think you're doing, you black bastard?" Turner took the insult calmly, but Longworth did not and told the taxi driver, "He's taking me to my destination, you white son of a bitch!"

On another occasion, asked by a Ku Klux Klansman in full regalia to take his word for something, she refused, saying, "I never trust a man under sheets."

And when a well-known Washington senator was discovered to have been having an affair with a young woman less than half his age, Mrs. Longworth quipped, "You can't make a soufflé rise twice."

-------

When her father was governor of New York, he and his wife proposed that Longworth attend a conservative school for girls in New York City. Pulling out all the stops, Longworth wrote, "If you send me I will humiliate you. I will do something that will shame you. I tell you I will."

Once, a White House visitor commented on Longworth's frequent interruptions to the Oval Office, often because of her political advice. The exhausted president commented to his friend, author Owen Wister, after the third interruption to their conversation and after threatening to throw Longworth 'out the window', "I can either run the country or I can attend to Alice, but I cannot possibly do both."

DarkCrawler has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Jan 16, 2014

• Locked thread