Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

stefania_r posted:

Classic historical hottie:

Good gracious.

I admit to being a Camille Desmoulins fangirl, from the French Revolution. Not all portraits are quite as flattering as this, though:

His wife Lucile:

And sometimes he and this guy were bestest buddies:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Another for Mexico, Katy Jurado. I have the hugest crush on her from High Noon:

And two from American illustration.

An early Rosie the Riveter (the figure you usually think of by that name wasn't actually called "Rosie the Riveter" until the 80s, says Wikipedia). I dislike Norman Rockwell, but this gal rocks:

Aaaand the Arrow Collar Man. Modeled on artist JC Leyendecker's boyfriend, Charles Beach, he shows up in many of the Arrow Collar ads.

SUBTEXT, WHAT SUBTEXT

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

While we're talking Tutankhamun, these cuties have been staring intently at one another for a very long time:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Cruxxed Up posted:

Ah, how could you bring up French Revolution hotties and not mention this lovely fellow?

Oh St. Just. :allears: Why did you have to be so gosh-darn fanatical?

He has his own paper doll, complete with Farrah Fawcett hair!

There's a great/bizarre/hilarious/bullshit Robespierre biography with a St. Just chapter. "His was an unearthly beauty. His large deep-blue eyes reflected the firmament of an unknown universe.... What did that face look like asleep: were the cheeks flushed, the mouth open? Did he ever sleep? Was he alive? Was he dead?" Later it talks about how as a youth he sat in a room with skulls painted on a black cloth.

Link, for some good laughs: http://archive.org/details/robespierrethein005510mbp

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

Now that is a jealousy stare.

Nah, I think she's just wondering when the silly things are going to break loose.

Nell Gwyn! "Pretty, witty" Nell was King Charles II's mistress and one of the first English actresses in the 1660s. She's accumulated many, many anecdotes, particularly about jokes she told on herself. Who knows which ones are true, but here's a couple from Wikipedia.

"Nell Gwynn was one day passing through the streets of Oxford, in her coach, when the mob mistaking her for her rival, the Duchess of Portsmouth, commenced hooting and loading her with every opprobrious epithet. Putting her head out of the coach window, 'Good people,' she said, smiling, 'you are mistaken; I am the Protestant whore.'" (The "Catholic whore," Dutchess of Portsmouth, was Louise de Kérouaille, another of the king's mistresses.)

And once her coachman got into a fight with another person who had called Nell Gwyn a whore. She broke up the fight, saying, "I am a whore. Find something else to fight about."

Besides being Charles' mistress, she hung out with some pretty cool people of the time, including Aphra Behn, one of the first women in England to make her living as a writer.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

If we're doing Charlie Chaplin without mustache, how about Yul Brynner with hair?

...some hair, anyway.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Rakugoon posted:

I still think I'm looking at Stephen Fry first every time I see a picture of Oscar. Every single time.

And every time I look at pictures of Lord Alfred Douglas I think "y'know, young Jude Law was such good casting that really he was an improvement over the original."

Yeah, sure, he's a historical hottie:

But he tends to put on this weird vacant face for photographs.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Being a shameless sucker for historical fiction, I love Pat Barker's Regeneration novels. Psychiatrist and ethnologist W.H.R. Rivers shows up as a highly sympathetic figure--and it turns out he was pretty cute as a youngster:

He kind of gave into the silly moustache thing, though:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Ententod posted:

I know right? While not as dreamy as Yeltsin, Gorbachev was acceptable too:

I sadly couldn't find a larger picture of him with hair. Wonder if he even knew about that pattern on his head before it started falling out.

I'll be darned.

(I saw the update to this thread and told my husband in passing "huh, Yeltsin was kind of a good-looking guy way, way back when." He said "Pff, the next thing you'll tell me is Gorbachev used to be a hottie." Who knew?)

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Source says it's Brezhnev in 1936:

Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Fabre d'Églantine. Revolutionary, poet, playwright, shoddy conman. And (in this portrait anyway) kind of a hottie.

• Locked thread