Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Deathlove posted:

Yeah, that didn't happen with me at all. Our game was a soft PG (OOC not-so-much, but nothing vulgar or anything) the whole way; I would've been comfortable with my sons being there.

That said, my game was loving awesome. I did this back-to-back with a Pathfinder Beginner Box, and the lack of structure and ability to just set things up on the fly just translate wonderfully to the universe. Our GM (Mike Olson, if gold stars are to be passed out) was completely on point and funny and just ran things perfectly. Obviously the GM has a lot of control over any RPG, but the open-endedness of this system lends itself to some...creative...GMing, and everything was just hilarious and great. I became Covered In Monkeys. TWICE.

So, yeah. I will run this game into the *ground*.

Mike Olson is the game's writer, so I am double-jealous of you now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I got an email saying that Volume 7 was "unavailable" and my preorder was canceled. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

They cancelled my pre-order, though.

I mean, I'm okay with waiting for Amazon to realize that it's actually a thing that exists, but still.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

Yup. They'll send you an email asking if you still want it when they realize it's actually available for real in about a month.

And I just got the email saying my order shipped. Oh, Amazon! :allears:

Speaking of RPGs, is it okay if I talk about the ARRPG here, if people have any questions?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Look what Fred Hicks just leaked as part of the grand finale of the Fate Core Kickstarer:

:allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That is the best final stretch goal I've ever seen. :allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

None of this is particularly clever. It's just that a relentless linearity pushing forward an eternal "now" doesn't let you do that, so it may look like a more impressive trick than it is. All we've done is take advantage of the fact that we're working on a creator owned project. We don't have to worry about retcons or events or wild shifts in editorial direction.

I would love to see a "everything in order" omnibus, with all the stories in actual chronological order. That being said, though, I love the "reverse references" thing you do where stuff gets referenced in one volume, expanded in the next, and then pays off in a completely different story.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know this technically isn't comic news, but The Atomic Robo RPG went up for preorder today. It's $35, full-color, and while the book itself won't be out until July you get the PDF now.

In celebration, Dr. Dinosaur took over Evil Hat's Twitter page.

I'm going through the PDF now; one thing I really like is that it's clearly geared towards people who've never RPG'd before, and that it uses pages from the comic to explain how the system works and some of the more abstract game concepts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yessss just got my shipping notification for my Field Guide and mug! :dance:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My stuff arrived today!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BooDoug187 posted:

Did you get a message about shipping from kickstarter or was it a different email? Just wondering if I need to be checking spam filters.

It was an email from noreply@tesladynelabs.com.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

One wonders why you'd put the Nerd Book Shelf in the background yet go out of your way to not include the best Nerd Book of them all, the Atomic Robo RPG.

I didn't even know they were using our domain! Also, I should update that drat site.

Because it's on the next shelf up on the "coolest gaming stuff" shelf.

And it's not my only nerd bookshelf.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

I want to buy the Robo RPG but between me no having anyone to play it with and my incredibly bad play test of it two years ago I just haven't got around to picking it up.

Is it full of fun Robo setting fluff?

Yes. There's a full timeline, stats for pretty much everyone, and it uses pages from the comic to explain the rules in detail.

And yes, you can play a dinosaur.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, if anyone's going to be at PAX East, come to the Games On Demand booth in the Tabletop area; I'm going to be running (among other things) the Atomic Robo RPG at various points over the weekend.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of giving you money, Brian, when is the Volume 9 collection coming out?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

Two weeks ago. Or one week ago. Depends on your shop because *~Diamond~*

Amazon may still be listing it as out of print or unavailable or something because *~Diamond~*

But your local shop should be able to order it for you regardless. Or Midtown Comics. The collected edition doesn't seem to be at ComiXology and I'm not sure why.

In the meantime, just read what we put online and make sure you're not blocking our ads. In aggregate it generates money out of the ether.

Oh, nice. I'll have to start bugging them next time I can head in.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Spigs posted:

I'll definitely be by at some point, will you have times posted or signups?

Yeah, there'll be sign up sheets at the booth. I don't know what the schedule is looking like yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Crosspostin' from the Fate thread, but I figure people here would appreciate this too.

I ran two session of Atomic Robo for people at PAX East's Games on Demand this year, and man the brainstorming system is so much fun, especially with people who're used to systems where they're not allowed to really "contribute" at that level. The scenario presented was that everyone was Tesladyne folks and hangers-on working late in the labs when vampires and M-12 agents started teleporting in and wrecking the place, and I left the cause and solution up to the groups.

One group determined it was due to M-12 using a crystal in the mineralogy lab to teleport things in and out (and allowed me to bring in Dr. Dinosaur) and ended with the cyborg PC throwing Dr. D out a twelfth-story window.

The other group decided that M-12 was beaming in the vamps and agents from an orbital platform,the vamps being a distraction so the M-12 agents could steal tech. They ended up solving the problem by taking out an M-12 power armored agent in the middle of a fight, strapping a patched-together EMP bomb onto him, hacking his coms, and using them to call for an emergency evac teleport.

It's great how easily people were able to come up with solutions that fit the universe perfectly even though I think maybe two players out of the ten total were really familiar with the source material. Of course, I sent everyone to the website so they could keep reading.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I just got caught up on Volume 9...

:ohdear:

It's going to be a long wait for the next volume...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

I finally picked up a copy of the RoboRPG and I plan to dive into it this week. I work at a daycare and I'm thinking about running a RPG for the kids (my age group is 5-11 with most around 8) and tradgames suggested FATE.

Now to figure out how to run a game before next week.

Fate is a good game to learn how to GM with because it's very loose and forgiving of mistakes.

Don't be afraid to ask for advice in the Fate or general chat threads.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Why did I search what FATAL was? Why do I do this to myself?
We must remember, so it does not happen again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice a similarity between Helsingard rattling off his long-term plans at the end of volume 9, and ALAN reciting the steps of his long-term plans as his systems shut down?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, Bernard just has the worst luck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have to admit I can't watch the Jurassic World trailer without thinking of Dr. Dinosaur.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is the girl with the pink hair someone who's shown up before? For some reason she looks familiar.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"I ask for guns and what I get is fungus-human hybrids?" is pretty much the essence of action science.

Or a Brainstorming session from the RPG. One or the other.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BooDoug187 posted:

So you saying this comic is the prequel for The Last of Us?

Last Of Us is actually the VampireMushroom Dimension.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TurninTrix posted:

(Current page remark: Goddammit, Bernie.)
I don't know which is funnier; the fact that Bernie picked those names, or that nobody else at Tesladyne has watched Hackers, even ironically.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

The Mirrorshade Overdrive.

Objectively the best title.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I ran a few ARRPG demos at PAX East last year, and the set-up was that the players were a mix of action scientists, action interns, an ex-Majestic 12 security guy, and a soldier who was there as a "test subject" for cybernetic limb replacements. I set it up that Robo wasn't around because it was the start of the third shift so they were the only people in that section of Tesladyne because everyone else went home.

Hyperactive posted:

There's a couple things you can do.

STUFF
Speaking of which, this raises a good question: what does Robo do when he's not at work? Does he have a home? Someplace he spends his free time?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was just reminded this fanposter exists, so hey Hyperactive I think I found a good idea for the next Robo arc.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like that Robo has to specify that Phil shouldn't violate the known laws of physics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

So.. Dr. Dinosaur is Edgar Sparingly?

DigitalRaven posted:

Better than Uncle Micky.

A.o.D. posted:

You are a degenerate and belong in a human occupied landfill.
Now that is deep nerdity cut.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

Fun fact: I would test RPG systems by seeing how closely they could model Atomic Robo as a character. HoL was the first one to produce an acceptable version. I never found another until the Fate iteration of Kerberos Club.

And that's why the Robo RPG is a Fate Core product.

I will admit I'm kinda disturbed by the idea of you going through the flowcharts in Buttery Wholesomeness to see if you could make Robo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

People might be interested to know that the Atomic Robo RPG is part of a special RPG bundle deal as part of the beat-the-average threshold.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

I'm going to aim for a thanksgiving rpg one shot of Atomic Robo. I've only played Fate once and noone else has even done that much how good an idea is this?
A pretty good idea. AR/Fate are pretty forgiving for new players. The main thing is to remember that everything should be one of the Four Actions, and don't be afraid to compel aspects so people get Fate points.

We have a Fate thread that's kinda quiet, but you can stuff ask there too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hopefully people don't mind me posting about the RPG here, but folks might like to know that the current Evil Hat kickstarter will include the Majestic 12 sourcebook.

quote:

Enter Majestic 12, a secret government organization that has only recently stepped out into the light in the latest volume of the Atomic Robo webcomic. We've strapped Atomic Robo author Brian Clevinger to a chair, given him the eyedrops and injections, flipped on Beethoven's Ninth, and demanded he tell us everything he knows about Majestic 12. We'd say he cracked under the strain, but anybody who knows him knows he's already a bit cracked.
Has anyone seen Hyperactive post lately? :ohdear:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

It's fun!

Sorta.

I'll admit I enjoyed what I've played during free periods.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And as an added bonus, the backer almost-complete version of the Majestic 12 book for the RPG just got released to backers. :getin:

e: Haha I love the "Anatomy of a conspiracy theory" sidebar

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

By the way, was Odin inspired by anyone visually? He reminds me of someone, but I don't know who.
Niles Caulder?

• Locked thread