Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, thanks to the sale on Comixology last month, I've gone from having seen bits and bobs of Robo, to having devoured most of the series thus far (waiting for the trade/collection on Golden Circle and haven't nabbed the Two-Fisted Tales one-shot). Brief first impressions are that I'm torn between vol.3, 5 and 7 as my favourites. 3 is probably the most consistently funny Lovecraftian horror story I've seen (HP himself and Sagan were both GOLD in that regard), 5 has a really sweet romance and fatherhood theme going for it (both Jack and Tesla are just trying to protect their children, physically and emotionally, before realising they're growing up), and the panel of Helen dry-heaving after realising how old her robo-boyfriend really is is frigging hysterical and oddly charming, in that it punctures the star-crossed lovers thing in a way that makes the relationship feel more honest and real.

And 7 does a fantastic job building up the She-Devils as both a group and as individual characters, such that some of the more tragic emotional beats land properly. It's a little sad that I can probably name more of them than I can the women at Tesladyne, though. I know there's the red haired gal and the stockier Asian lady that usually goes on field missions, but their names are barely used, and the downside of them being 'regular' parts of Robo's life, means we spend less time with them in focus. To be fair, this goes for most of the crew, but Bernie (nebbishly rocks guy), Vik (imaginary physics dude), Gerry (hippie-looking nuke guy), Martin & Louis (evil computer dorks) and Jenkins (Jenkins) all have distinct bits of focus that at least let me tie a name and a trait to the character designs.

Also picked up Real Science Adventures, and I think there's still a couple of backups missing, as I saw references on other pages to stories I don't think were collected in any of the digital trades. But the Tesla & co, and Sparrow stories were great pulpy adventure stuff, though I'm torn between adoring Guruhiru's work on the zeppelin story, and lamenting them not getting to draw Robo himself.

(PS Dr Dinosaur rules, but only in small doses)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ooh, maybe the 40s Sparrow and her spy friend can team up with the She-Devils?

And cool news about the upcoming stories. :) I wasn't meaning my post as any kind of call out, just that it would've been neat if the more regular lady characters were as distinct and front-and-centre as the Devils. I'm also weirdly fascinated with who the lady with Robo in the Sagan issue of Vol.3 is. I got the impression she's his at-the-time SO? Any chance of more disco-Robo era stories to get more into that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Robo should really work on getting their domain whitelisted.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

I didn't even know they were using our domain! Also, I should update that drat site.

You mean... it's not from the real Tesladyne? :saddowns:

(Yeah, my joke was pretty crummy.)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 7, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume it's probably more appropriate to talk about it in the generic indie thread, but I just saw in the promos at the end of Django/Zorro #1 that Hyperactive's writing a Phantom mini, which is awesome news! I realise it's probably been known for a while, but still!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I can still buy digital copies of the stuff I can get for free online, though, right? :ohdear:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Fun Fact: DIamond made it almost impossible to buy Atomic Robo in the UK for years. Because, Diamond claimed, the demand for it in the UK didn't warrant listing it for the UK. Mind you, if something isn't listed, then you can't order it, so it looks like there's no demand. Fuckin' brilliant.

...That's why I could never find it despite hearing buzz online for years?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

It's old-ish news but not terribly big, so it was easy to miss. We did a little interview about it a couple weeks back and the response from Phantom fans is the most concentrated grognardiness I've been exposed to in my career.

I understand their apprehension, but it's pretty funny to be looked at suspiciously as a guy who cannot deliver fun pulp adventures.

Meanwhile there seems to be some controversy over whether or not we can print these comics. I have NO INSIGHT into this matter. All I know is: I'm writing scripts, staying on deadline, and they're paying me. Might just be a bunch of corporate bluster.

Hey! It came out! And the hook of who the Phantom is is kinda neat. Though I say this as someone who hasn't read Kings Watch (even though I love Jeff Parker) but grew up with Defenders of the Earth VHS's... I loved DotE's version of Lothar as a kind of Indiana Jones type adventurer. It filled in a gap among the other three main heroes. (Flash is sci-fi, Mandrake is more urban fantasy a la the Shadow, the Phantom is vaguely spiritual, and Lothar's this dude that kicks down tomb doors to see what's what.) But making him the Phantom is cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, Hyperactive/Brian? How come the new volume isn't up on Comixology yet? I want to give you my money via the middleman of a soulless online shopping corporation, and I can't!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Might not have been deliberate. I believe there's two different publishers doing two different Phantom books right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hermes Press are putting out something Phantom-y, at least here in the UK/Europe

Congrats to Hyperactive (and Scott too) for getting Robo back up on the store under their own/Submit banner. Finally I can buy volume 9 (and try to ignore the itch in the back of my head to rebuy the other 8 volumes so I can have CBR versions on my hard drive). What's happening with the Real Science Adventures, is that down to Red 9 or to dealing with the individual artists?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought it was pretty clear that his fuel/batteries were running dry, not aided by all the exertion he was putting himself through to save the townspeople and fight Helsingard's cyborgs. I'm also not sure if I'm impressed or not with the Wild Wild West and Star Trek: TNG references.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Cobra Commander.

This is how Robo and Helsingard sound in your head too, isn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

He does control the eb and flow.

He even labelled them!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't expect Hyperactive to tell us before the comic does, but I'm almost thinking Dr Dinosaur IS a for-real hyper-intelligent dino that got thrown through time the same way Robo did in Vol. 9. Mostly because the reveal would drive Robo nuts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have to admit I can't watch the Jurassic World trailer without thinking of Dr. Dinosaur.

"It's an animal!"
"A highly intelligent animal!"
"YES! HIGHLY MORE INTELLIGENT THAN DUMB MAMMALIAN DUMBNESS! BEHOLD!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wanna feel even older? For most of those kids, the only Cobra Commander during their lifespan is Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was presuming some of them might be young enough to have been born AFTER that movie came out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Atomic nanomachines, son!

More like crystals! :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's interesting, I've seen interviews from creative teams working on stuff like Sensation Comics for DC Digital that mention that format's harder to work to because you need to have a 'page turn' moment, basically some kind of plot motion or transition happen essentially either mid-page, or twice as often as you'd normally write/draw. Plus doesn't it make doing splash pages weird?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So, digitally you guys are still selling under your own banner, IDW's just doing the print version?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, Futurama was deliberately ripping off TNG, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The softcoves are the IDW versions, right? They're super-quick at getting stuff out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Kinda? He's tough as hell but stuff has to get replaced every so often. Whatever his brain is, it's taken a lot of beatings over the last 100 years, and he's come out of all of them fine. An extended dormant period might not be that bad? Maybe?

How long is it taking you to write these posts, if you count the time spent cackling?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Here is a non-exhaustive list of other story amalgams I know I want:
Citizen Cane/Homestar Runner

So, Strong Bad having a raps battle with a white dude from Virginia?

(:ssh: The movie is Citizen Kane)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Obviously, Robo is going to have his head attached to a not-so-giant robot, which will then be used to pilot the really-giant robot used to punch the biomega.

Minimus Robo?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not enough crystals.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Are you looking for this to take place in the 60s? Because when he went to Mars in 1975, we never see him coming back to earth, the Soviets could have intercepted him when his capsule came back to earth.

HAWKING! :argh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hmm, I'd need to go back and look, but do we see Robo doing stuff like reading comics in the present day? It's pretty clear that he'd chill out and read or go to the movies or date in the 30s or 70s, but I'm not sure any of the modern stuff has him doing normal pass-times like that, which is a neat subtle way of showing that, Hyperactive. (If I'm right. If not, welp... :shobon:)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Superstring posted:

So... Atomic Robo/Transformers crossover?

Clearly this has all been a years-long con to build to the reveal at the end of Vol. 13 that Majestic is secretly led by Shockwave.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sorry to get back to boring business-y stuff, but is the Comixology release of Ring Of Fire going to just be individual issues or is there a digital trade coming at the end?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

There will be a collection available on comiXology once all five individual issues are released.

:tipshat: Much appreciated.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You realise that every reference in the last two pages is going to result in one more issue that Hyperactive isn't going to use Dr Dinosaur?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Doesn't that kill the gag with him not being able to use capacitive touch screens, though?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Are you guys not putting the collected editions up on Comixology anymore? (or the series at all? I suppose maybe the singles aren't up because of IDW not releasing the print versions yet for vol 11?) :( I just can't quite read long-form comics on a browser, I'm afraid, so I've read the entire series so far via my tablet and it'd suck to have to buy singles when I've gotten the rest as collections/trades so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flosofl posted:

The collected editions are up there. I just purchased them not too long ago.

Not volume 10!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Even better, it's in the current Humble Book Bundle along with a bunch of other licenced RPGs. (Including the Dresden Files one which also uses FATE, which is kind of neat to contrast how the books contrast in the rules presentation. Dresden is very, very heavy on getting backstory and context for your aspects before starting, Robo is more amenable to building stuff on the fly)

• Locked thread