Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I looked for this thread month or two back and didn't find it. Figured we didn't have an atomic robo thread since I don't usually see many inde books here with their own threads.

Anyway, just wanted to mention, I learned about robo from the team fortress 2 read, someone there posted a page of the tf2 crossover and I got super curious and had to hunt down that issue.

Which I read then immediately bought all 7 volumes and the first issue of "flying she-devils." It was a fantastic read for my family vacation and I am waiting for vol. 8 for the Dr. Dinosaur arch so hard.

I'm now torn though, buying issues in print help out you guys and the local shop, but digital is cheaper and so much easier. Going to probably switch to digital for vol. 8 and buy the physical trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

But the realistic answer is: the royalties Scott and I get from each format are so close to each other that it makes no functional difference on our end which one you get. Buy what works best for your needs.

Good to know, I like others think I'm going digital for vol. 8 then picking up the paper trade. At this point of my life I can't justify piles of comics taking space when I'm buying the trades already.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Really Pants posted:

What's this about seven volumes? I thought there are only six, and She-Devils is going to be the seventh. Do you mean to tell me I'm not as Robo'd as I can be?! :ohdear:
Blergh, no I just looked at my books and noticed she devils was vol 7.

Sorry to bring up your hopes.

For actual content, I'm also looking forward to new real science adventures. While I really liked the new series, I was a little sad that there were repeated stories from earlier atomic robo trades.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Fixed!

re: more OP stuff

Have you added the Vol 7 (and possibly beyond) audio commentaries?
Did you post about these in your sites news feed? I only saw the first one, but didn't know you had done more.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I didn't pick up the last issue of Vol 7 due to getting distracted with a million things and then seeing the release date of the trade being last week. Well that came and went, and it's now slated for next Wednesday?

Maybe I'm just not used to Comic Book release dates, but is this a known thing that comics don't really get release dates or something? :(

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Long story short: Diamond distributes all comic books, and you will not find a single comic book creator, publisher, shop owner, or shop employee that has a single positive thing to say about Diamond.

Well.... gently caress. :(

Thanks for the reply though. I only read 2 currently printing books, and both seem to come out "When they (Diamond I guess) feel like it."

( It's Atomic Robo/Real Science which I consider one book really, and The Lookouts if you were curious )

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just got to read the new digital only Robo I picked up. That was a pretty awesome presentation. I'm going to be going digital for the next volume(s) and this was a nice jumping off point for it.

I really enjoyed the action shots that kept the same background but then expanded as the action happened. Specifically when the villain (did you guys actually pick a girls name for her? Tyra? ) is shooting at Robo with her laser. Loved that!

E: added spoiler tags for the story specific question.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just finished volume 7 issue one, and god dammit if that reveal and twitch didn't get me. Loved it! Can't wait for more dr dinosaur.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

rantmo posted:

Holy poo poo, there's an Atomic Robo Kickstarter campaign and I'm going to own a Tesladyne coffee mug someday soon :dance: I still want a Tesladyne t-shirt with "Remain calm, trust in science" on it but this is a drat fine start.

How are you guys making money on this? The stretch goals you guys have mean that putting up even $30 gets you a ridiculous amount of swag?!

I backed for $30 originally mostly for the Atom print, but I just looked at it again today due to seeing your post on red5 about stretch goals, and holy poo poo.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
For anyone looking to pick up issue 2 of volume 8, it is up on comixology now.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Jedi425 posted:

In for a mug, and holy hell, you guys are lavishing us with goodies for the stretch goals. Here's hoping you get $130k!

More like 150k....

God drat... want it so hard.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
It appears that I somehow selected the wrong tier for my rewards! I wanted the $30 Physical reward tier (I wanted those posters hard). Is it going to be an issue to correct that? I just saw the email from Amazon/Kickstarter that my funding was successful and saw the reward tier.

I didn't even know that there was a digital only tier for $30.

I emailed through the kickstarter to query this as well. Hopefully it's no big deal and can be remedied. :argh:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Bingo.

We're still mired in pre-campaign responsibilities like finishing Volume 8 and then writing the Field Guide, so there hasn't been any news or surveys to send to backers.

This pre-campaign stuff was factored into our delivery dates, including the news released toward of the end of the campaign updating the delivery date to November to account for all the extra work we need to do for the stretch goals.

Did you have any reply to my issue? I haven't heard anything back from the kickstarter email or anything. To refresh (From this page) I apparently selected the wrong tier for rewards, as a digital only version which I didn't even realize existed. :(

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

LEARN TO READ.

But yeah we should be able to accommodate you as we get closer to fulfillment.

:(

Yeah.. I know it's my bad. I was really quick on selecting everything and didn't even see it in the tier listing in the main post.

I really appreciate that you guys can fix it though. Thanks :shobon:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

I remember when we used to publish comic books. Just barely.

After an incredibly frustrating few months we're happy to report that Diamond will let us sell the sixth and final issue of the "Billion Dollar Plot" volume of Real Science Adventures and Atomic Robo and the Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur #3 on November 20th. The fourth and fifth issue of that series will follow as shortly after that as possible since they've been finished for ages.

Sorry for the delay, it won't happen again.

I've been in the middle of saving for a house and killed off ALL spending since August.... so Savage Sword Number 3 hitting now (When we're just about to close) has actually worked out fantastic for me. I'll just keep thinking that you guys didn't want me to suffer with the decision of not buying Atomic Robo right when it hit!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Scott.... or Brian.... I unfortunately don't recall at this point whom was the goon among you.

I got the backer email to update my address, but if you recall, I'm the guy who made the mistake of picking the wrong $30 tier.

It doesn't appear that I have an "Update Address" field for you guys.

Don't know if I should email the contact for Kickstarter with an updated (The same) address? Or a PM?

Sorry again bud. :( LOVE THE BOOKS THOUGH!!!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Comixology is doing a big giveaway of comics at their Tumblr: http://comixology.tumblr.com/geekstagegiveaway

Today they just put up the digital only release Atomic Robo: Two Fisted Tales in a bundle. If you don't already have it, you need to jump on this asap!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I emailed back the contact for Kickstarter about my stupid situation with my address. :(

(Picking the digital reward by mistake instead of physical)

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Out of curiosity, will you still be drawing on paper? Or going digital for all the art now?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Scott started transitioning off of paper with the conclusion of Volume 9. Atomic Robo now has a paperless production cycle. He found a great workflow after a few weeks of experimentation and he's cranking out the best pages of his career.

The downside is that there are no original pages of art being produced going forward. But maybe that'll help to get some of the older pages sold. And there are other options. Like: maybe if there's a Patreon and you toss $50 or $100 at us for one month, you'll get to commission some original art from Scott.

Patreon huh? I may have to look over at that when I have some spare cash, I still kick myself for not jumping on the page of Dr. Dinosaur fleeing in the tiny car from CERN. :(

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Hyperactive, did all of the Kickstarter rewards go out already? I sent an email regarding my pledge kickstarter, but haven't heard anything back.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

About 1% of them have not gone out. The best thing to do at this stage would be to send another message through Kickstarter.

Short version: we were scrambling on the backend to get our Kickstarter support and online shop support integrated and inevitably a few things got dropped in the middle of that. Now it's running smooth, so go for it.

Ok cool. Thanks bud. I sent it late last week so I'll wait a few days to send another then.

E: Don't know if you mentioned something or not, but I got a message back tonight. Thanks again! :D

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 25, 2015

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Thanks!

For the curious: lookie here.

Went to Comixology and saw this. Awesome work. I love the Dr. Dinosaur tradition going with FCBD :D

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I just backed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tesladyne/atomic-robo-reprint-regalia

And you should too!

E: And the lowest tier to be name dropped is already almost filled.

I also am finally not a gently caress up and DID NOT select a digital only tier when meaning to grab a physical tier. Sorry again for that Hyperactive. :v:

E2: Talking to my wife she convinced me to order every book instead of randoms so she can read them too.... I neglected to point out that we already own all of them except the latest release.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 14, 2015

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just out of curiosity, how are you guys doing with the latest kickstarter? There haven't been any updates, but are you guys still on schedule for November?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Update later this week or early next. There just wasn't any interesting news until now!

Hooray! :D

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just got my survey for the hardcover kickstarter! So excited to get them!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Has there been any Kickstarter news lately? Last I saw was that the books were on a boat. The link for the boats status is no longer working so I assume it hit states side by now. Are they shipping soon from the end distro?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

8one6 posted:

According to one of the recent updates on the site they've arrived but customs wants to x-ray the entire book lot which has slowed things down.

drat it Scott, you should have known better than to hide your stash in a large shipment of books!

Thanks for the tip. I really should spend some time to check up on the website. I haven't been reading the new comics as I tend to like to read them in long form instead of broken up. The web comic transition didn't quite jive with me. Glad it's working out though! I need more Robo.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

8one6 posted:

Any updates on the HC shipping yet?

Ditto on this one, I was just thinking this last night.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Things should start going out this week.

Thanks for the update :D

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

8one6 posted:

Just read the KS update about shipping! Woot!

And I got this great message:

quote:

Tesladyne LLC says:

Guess who's getting all nine volumes of Atomic Robo in PDF form?

You. DUHHHHH.

Click the link, download the goodies, lord over lesser beings.

Link obviously not included in this post :P

Loved it though!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I could only afford one random volume, but it was Shadow Beyond Time so I'm okay with it.

This is me. I'm lording.

Just doing as told.

This was a great kickstarter, and I'm glad we are getting the fulfillment process started. I actually stopped reading after Book 8, so I am very excited. :D

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Got my books in today. Just got back from work to a package sitting on my foyer floor that my wife accepted. Opened it up to a large amount of treats :D

The books look awesome, but I had one problem that my wife pointed out to me:

Apparently I can't count, cause I thought everything was kosher, yet when she looked at them she noticed there were only 8 books. :( I figured the Field Guide would be book 9, but apparently not, as I looked at the PDF's that I have, and I'm missing a book. :(

Hardcover #4 "Other Strangeness"

I'll message the guys on Kickstarter about it though. I also noticed on my Dogs of War there seems to be a crease through the Sparrow's legs on the cover. Anyone else get that?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

This is definitely an error at the warehouse as there were literally ZERO backers for the eight books tier. We'll get you fixed up.

I figured, I messaged on KS already too :coal:

I got the book plates for 9 though ;)

Also holy crap that must have been a lot of work to sign every drat book plate! Really smart to not put them in the books as that would have made it so much more of a chore.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

8one6 posted:

According to my tracking info it's en route!

Also, DHL express disavows all knowledge of DHL Global mail's practices. So I learned that.

I actually had to use the USPS website for my DHL marked shipment.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Glad your items survived the trip. If it's possible to take pictures of the box, please do.

Did you guys not pack the boxes? Would kind of explain all he extra space in mine. Which is why I think that crease is in dogs of war :(

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Hyperactive, got my Other Strangeness in today :D Thank you all for getting that sorted so quickly.

Not sure what the resolution on the damaged book, but at least I actually have all 9 now :D

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Looks like Hyperactive's too humble to mention, but there a new KS for hardcover copies of Ring of Fire.

Thanks for the heads up, in for both books as hard cover. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

I'm afraid we have to. You can't lie about the contents and books have titles. Maaaybe we can just say the title is "The Ring of Fire" since that isn't technically untrue.

Might be a better idea :D I'm sure a lawyer can advise you on something like that though, instead of random strangers on the Internet.

• Locked thread