Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I haven't done pixel art in a little while but I've just started getting back into it recently and decided to do some character animations that I think turned out really well

These are great, how long did it take you? What did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just use Aseprite, each one took me about a day-ish although it was all in my free time so I'm not sure exactly how many hours it was. I also did a lot of tweaking after the core of the animations were done to clean up various stray pixels that didn't look right or add little details like the hair movement.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I haven't done pixel art in a little while but I've just started getting back into it recently and decided to do some character animations that I think turned out really well

These are really nice, what's the dimensions?

To add some content, trying my hand at bigger (larger than 48x48) sprites but my desire for perfect anatomy and readability, even at early stages is hamstringing me

(X2 so it's actually readable)

Hoping my drawing/traditional art skills are paying off

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 13, 2022

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

BrainDance posted:

What would a beginner use to start making pixel art "in the easiest way possible"? I'm actually asking for a friend, otherwise I wouldn't be as hung up on finding the easiest way to do it.

I'm assuming the recommendations in the OP are out of date, and that there's probably gotta be some specific software that makes the whole process easier than just drawing big pixels in photoshop.

I think his goal is to learn how to make something like from this post.

I might be the odd one out, but I'm a GIMP man - functions very similarly to Photoshop, but the pen tools are quite excellent for pixel stuff.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
My medieval/early industrial-setting turned into uh, something else.

I'm not happy with the ground having harsh contrasts clashing with the buildings's smooth shadings.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 2, 2023

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Love the lighting and the palette work.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
This looks like peak Dan Malone Amiga art!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

I am doing an absolutely terrible job with this hair.

Lol I've been posting art itt for 10 years

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Congratulations!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Thank you for your service, veteran.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Been focused mainly on my game and doing paid work I can't post but I have a few things from the last 3 months

Some more Zelden Ring

I was also doing sprites of friend's OCs to warm up for a little bit

Lots and lots of little fun things that I could squeeze into a half hour or so...

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You have really nailed the style. These are a lot of fun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finally found an ipad app with a pixel perfect drawing mode so I can start turning all these inconsistent sketches I've made over the years into the jrpg characters/enemies I envisioned them as :hellyeah:

They're going to need some work (the colors especially) but I'm just trying to get first drafts out of the way

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 2, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really like the fly like monster in the middle of the top row.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I finally found an ipad app with a pixel perfect drawing mode so I can start turning all these inconsistent sketches I've made over the years into the jrpg characters/enemies I envisioned them as :hellyeah:

They're going to need some work (the colors especially) but I'm just trying to get first drafts out of the way

Love the parrot pirate captain but I keep thinking to myself "there should be a tiny human on the shoulder"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

bessantj posted:

I really like the fly like monster in the middle of the top row.

Thanks! They're a Bumblebehemoth :3:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Love the parrot pirate captain but I keep thinking to myself "there should be a tiny human on the shoulder"

I love this idea and I'm going to try and work it in next time I work on the parrot

Current progress:

But also spent some time making a tileset for space exploration:
https://i.imgur.com/XH4E4Yj.mp4

and planet exploration:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Planet closeups have been kind of awkward to do at these sizes: Large enough that there's tons of empty space to fill up, small enough that it's hard to show much actual detail while maintaining a fairly limited palette. I'm going for a more cartoon-y illustrated stylized style where you can actually see the things on the surface which doesn't help (and also trying to avoid barren, lifeless worlds). But it's been fun! If anyone has any tips for making the large empty spots (particularly on e.g. the third one) feel "busy" or lived-in or whatever without looking like 'noise' I'd love to hear them

And also:

e: I guess the answer is dithering but I went way too heavy on most of these:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 10, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not exactly on topic but you guys might know: anyone know of a tool where I can punch in a dozen colors already in use and it can suggest a cohesive extended palette across other hues that aren't in yet?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 14, 2023

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

MikeJF posted:

Not exactly on topic but you guys might know: anyone know of a tool where I can punch in a dozen colors already in use and it can suggest a cohesive extended palette across other hues that aren't in yet?

I would say that palette are usually more restrained in pixel art, and a dozen of colors is probably too much for a starting point colors.
But I can recommend https://meodai.github.io/poline/, this is a great tool.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks! They're a Bumblebehemoth :3:

I like it even more now I know its name.

The planet designs are interesting.

jammiesjammer
Feb 14, 2023

Loving these and the creativity you have with designing these lil monsters. Whats the app youre using to make these btw?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks :blush: I'm using Pixaki for iPad which I am not entirely in love with (it tries to save everything primarily to iCloud which has more than once resulted in lost files or caused problems loading files when my ipad couldn't connect to icloud, it doesn't actually save images until you return to the main gallery, stuff like that) but it's the first dedicated pixel art app I've found that's designed to be used on a tablet with a stylus, and not having to use a mouse has completely revolutionized pixel art for me.

The designs are almost all from sketches or (very amateur) drawings I've made on my ipad for the last ~4 years while learning to draw...

And, admittedly, a lot of AI generated sketches that are based on feeding my own drawings into an AI and having it attempt to recreate my style. Which feels a little bit like cheating and I think will get very mixed reactions from the public but :shrug: I seed it with my own art so I feel okay about it. I couldn't produce the volume of characters I need for this as a solo dev without it.

To be fair I think stylus drawing would not work so well if I wasn't going for such a large resolution - The smallest canvas I start with is 128x128 which gives me plenty of room to draw, doing smaller sprites would require the precision of a mouse (or using the stylus like a mouse)

For the game I am working on, I literally need several hundred different arbitrary creatures from throughout the cosmos, because one of the main mechanics is the player having telepathic conversations with random beings. So this week I am doubling down on pumping out as many basic designs as I can stomach. These are from yesterday + today:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Love this, everyone is pretty much instantly recognisable

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love the use of the limited palette!

Some first pass shading/detail work this morning:

2x:

(one of them has a very unintentional crotch bulge I will fix when my ipad is charged :doh:)

Note to self that I need to get more dynamic with hand positioning. These aren't exactly battle pose sprites but I mostly keep sticking to a few distinct poses (hand on hip, hands at side, hands distanced from side) and since these are supposed to be weird aliens from throughout the universe, a lot of them should stand in weird unusual ways.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 19, 2023

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

which great house will you be dune next?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm now up to 120 with at least basic shading in 20 days :hellyeah:

I still have a couple dozen unshaded and... uhh, a couple hundred more sketches to work with. But I have a fun monthly ritual of being unable to refill my meds for a few days because of national shortages and that's about to start to they're going to have to wait until next week probably.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Not the most productive few days but:

Pixel art hands are tough :argh: I spent a lot of time learning how to traditionally draw hands but it all kind of goes out the window here because there's just not enough space for the subtle bends I'm used to drawing.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 23, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pixel art hands are tricky and you usually have to go more for the "idea" of a hand than a really detailed one. Especially with outlines since that's taking away a good chunk of your real estate. Something that can help is to only have the outline around the whole shape of the hand rather than each individual finger (kind of a mitten look), and then using shading to imply the internal details.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That definitely helps, I guess these are pretty much all going to require a second pass doing the small details the old fashioned way - pixel art with a stylus makes most of the job easy, but the fine details are still a pain

They could all use a bit more in the interesting small details department anyway, they feel a little flat currently.

e: like so:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 24, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Personally, I love the flat look. Makes it have a Ralph Bakshi vibe.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Personally, I love the flat look. Makes it have a Ralph Bakshi vibe.

I've been thinking about this a lot, largely because it's a whole lot less effort :sweatdrop: And if I design things with that in mind, I can fit some details in while retaining the flat shading. I was looking through some Ralph Bakshi characters and noticed a lot of them have visible fingernails and I can do things like this:

The hands look like hands in a way that I don't think would work as well without the flat shading, I think it would just get too complicated with any more than two shades per color.

You've given me a lot to think about here :tipshat:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 28, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

I've been thinking about this a lot, largely because it's a whole lot less effort :sweatdrop: And if I design things with that in mind, I can fit some details in while retaining the flat shading. I was looking through some Ralph Bakshi characters and noticed a lot of them have visible fingernails and I can do things like this:

The hands look like hands in a way that I don't think would work as well without the flat shading, I think it would just get too complicated with any more than two shades per color.

You've given me a lot to think about here :tipshat:

Your artwork is cool. Would you be able to draw like this in ProCreate?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

Your artwork is cool. Would you be able to draw like this in ProCreate?

Thanks! You can make a single-pixel brush in procreate (just create a 1x1 canvas, save it, create a new brush, load that 1x1 canvas as your brush shape, set the size to 1%) but it doesn't have a pixel perfect drawing mode, so unless you patiently draw one pixel at a time (which can be a pain in Procreate) you'll end up with lines that look like the top one here:

I switched to Pixaki for pixel art since it has pixel perfect mode but I end up exporting to Procreate for some of the shading/coloring because I'm comfortable with using things like clipping mask layers in it. You can do the same thing in Pixaki in different ways (e.g. just making selections) but I have the muscle memory for procreate.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 9, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Pixaki exports to Photoshop AND Asesprite? Holy poo poo this is an instant purchase.

E: why do some artists prefer Photoshop for pixel art? It seems to be complete overkill when something like Asesprite exists.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 16, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Been working on a little thing because I'm in a Star Warsy mood, I've 2 scenes left to do (Vader and Luke on Bespin and the Emperor in his room on the second Deathstar) before I think I'm done.

I was at one point gonna try make a little prototype with the taller sprites but I uh.. got some bad news and then scoped back..

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Way to break my freaking heart about what could have been if Lucasarts had catered exclusively to me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I was at one point gonna try make a little prototype with the taller sprites but I uh.. got some bad news and then scoped back..

I thought that art looked a little short for a stormtrooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Been mainly drawing alot the last year or so, but I've still been pixeling, mainly applying the lessons I've learnt from traditional art

Here's a small bit, more of a proof of concept for a larger sprite (anything over 32x32 for me, it's meant for a 64x64 tile btw, it's also been doubled in size for clarity) than anything else, having perspective issues with the axe and shield that need to be resolved but at least i can recognise them now

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 28, 2023