Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Here are a few things from a recent project:

And assets from something older that I've been thinking about dusting off again:

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Haud: Start by deciding a screen resolution and then sketch some concept screenshots to get an idea of how big things are in relation to each other. For RPG-like things I often go with something like 24x16 (taller than wide) sprites on a 320x240 display.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Physical: You could use these, from a game I wrote many years ago:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

.TakaM posted:

Friggin' amazing. I really like the washed-out feel of the palette. If I was going to criticize anything, I'd say the cobblestone walls don't really "pop" and produce a sense of depth- creating a harder baseline to separate them from the grass they touch or adding a subtle gradient that is darker at the base of the wall and lighter at the top might help.

I'd be curious to see the tileset- you've done a very good job of making the grid less visually apparent, and I'm interested to see how you organized your tiles.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

powerofrecall: Nice. Looks like... 90 unique tiles?

Main thing I'd suggest is playing with the text some more- I like the shapes of the characters, but I don't think they stand out well against the background.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Very rough initial work on a run cycle:

I think I need more frames, or possibly to add some flex along the body's vertical axis so that the upper thighs parallax against one another. Thoughts?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Mimsy: I like the overall design. If you're looking for some greeble ideas, consider the engineering concerns that make the International Space Station look like it does. Cylinders are prevalent because the structure has to be assembled from pieces that fit in a space shuttle bay or a rocket. Everything that doesn't need to be pressurized is strapped to the outside of the habitation areas to maximize usable space. You can also add external scaffolding, an easy way to add rigidity to structures without much mass. In general I think designs that are asymmetrical will look "lower tech".

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Finally got around to trying out the new, actively maintained version of Pixen. Holy poo poo, I can resize the canvas without crashing and I can merge layers without desaturating my colors!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Started tinkering with a mockup for a Binding of Isaac style random-dungeon-crawler, except you control a squad and it's set in an abandoned research base on Mars.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

That sounds awesome. How would the members of the squad be controller or managed?

Playing with a couple ideas. The simple approach is to allow the player to cycle through squaddies to select a "leader" to control directly, and have the others automatically follow the leader and use weapons, etc. as appropriate. Alternately I might try some sort of "VATS mode" thing where you can pause the action and issue commands seperately. I think I'm going to have to just try things until I get something that feels fun.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Went over the tileset again, reorganized things and reduced the palette by one color. I gave the room tiles a more detailed, technical look which I think better suggests a sci-fi setting. The HUD shows the second squaddie selected. I'm not totally pleased with the HUD- I think the hearts and energy containers look too visually busy and will be difficult to interpret at a glance. Thoughts?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Thanks for the great feedback, guys!

Scut: Are there any particular tools or techniques you use when working with palettes?

Among many small changes I now have a less generic energy container, hollow shapes for empty containers and I've incorporated Scut's kickin' rad tweaks to the palette. The map portion of the HUD is centered now, which I think adds some balance to the design. Still needs work, but it's getting there.

I've started working on some sprites so I can begin roughing in gameplay:

And a quick first stab at a title screen:

Thoughts?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Scut: I really like the way you dithered the inner surface of the robot's face.

As a brief sidetrack from my other projects, I fiddled around with some monochrome character designs:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Triangle: animation obviously still needs work, but drat that is some nice shadowing and use of partial outlines. Looking forward to seeing how that shapes up. I assume you're going to do something more dynamic with the pose of the right arm?

edit: Give him a trident!

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 19, 2013

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Gordon Cole: I meant in the other hand, obviously.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Title screen and sprites from a game I've been tinkering with for a bit. It's about programming and poking things with swords.

I'm going for a somewhat more colorful look than my usual.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

JellyLOL: Drawing large, detailed sprites, especially animated ones, is extremely labor-intensive. Small sprites, on the other hand, can be done relatively quickly. I often go for pixel-art in my games because a "retro" look provides a consistent and visually pleasing aesthetic which is feasible within the limits of time and skill available for my projects. It's important to strike a balance between "as good as I can possibly make this look" and "I can do the whole game in this style without spending a decade working on it", especially when you are the sole developer.

There are also sometimes technical limitations. Large animated sprites can eat up a fairly surprising amount of video RAM despite being "lower tech" than 3D.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Zvezda: Really nice stuff! you should try putting together a point-and-click adventure or something. If I was going to criticize anything it would be that using a large number of subtly different colors makes things look a little muddy- those characters probably wouldn't stand out well against a similarly detailed background. Try restricting your pallette a bit or using contrasting colors to provide a sharper silhouette.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Dude don't save pixel art as jpegs. :smith:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Personally, I'd much rather have pixels. It's also worth noting that Mario World uses a very cartoony style with flat colors and rounded shapes which probably lends itself better to this sort of postprocessing than other styles. Running a Metal Slug game though an upscaling filter would be a travesty.

edit: beaten.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I dig the webbed foot, and the faces are cool. The torso is presently kind of plain-looking. Perhaps add some shinies to make it look wet or some extra finlets?
Was the original crabman supposed to be based on a horseshoe crab?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Did some quick sprites for a co-op platformer Poemdexter is working on. I think they came out fairly well:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I'm really digging those rocks, McKilligan. Nice autumnal palettes too.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I get a really strong psychonauts vibe from the character on the bottom right. Outstanding work as always, Scut.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Stuff3: I'm getting a Hotline Miami vibe from that.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

As much as I love his art and the story behind it, my brain kept nitpicking at his technique the whole time. :sigh: I'm a monster.

Part of it is he's really using more of a pointilist style than what we would consider "pixel art"- it is less about precisely choosing individual pixels. I get the impression that his work is meant to be viewed at a 1x zoom, whereas the things we typically discuss in this thread are meant to be blown-up. I just think it's great he's having fun making art with a computer.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

the chaos engine: Gotta say, that all looks fuckin' great. I really want to see where this is going.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

RabidGolfCart: I dig the style and palette, but the thumbs-up doesn't read very well for me. Maybe consider exaggerating the size of the hands a little more?

romanowski: Those are some really nice walk cycles. Cool stuff.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I was asked to do a title screen for a Western game in the style of the Wolfenstein 3D title screen. Here are some progress shots:

I may still do some more detail work on it, but I'm burned out for tonight.

edit: for comparison:

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 15, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

More pixels. This time I was asked to redraw the HUD player portrait.

Original:

New:

And the full Doomguy treatment:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I did kinda like the earlier simplistic style, but everything else in the game is getting more detailed and polished and it just started to look out of place.

While I'm posting, here are two earlier revisions of the gunslinger girl's sprites!

The first revision and its doomguy treatment:

A "T-pose" which was meant to be adapted into a 3d model at one point:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Jackard posted:

How do you guys go about making your own fonts?

Gumption.

I call it "variable1". Evocative, no?

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 6, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

You do a good job with that limited palette, NK. What is your approach for drawing something like that?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Started doing some art tests for my next game.

I'm going with the "sketch, then trace" approach I've used before with larger work.

I'm using very flat, minimally shaded colors to produce a cartoony look which will also make it a bit easier to animate. Striking the right balance on detail and economy (so I can actually finish the whole project in a reasonable timeframe) is difficult and will take some practice, I think.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Making a series of frames for an 8-direction walk.

Still needs some work, but I think it's a good start.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I think our protagonists might get along, Baldbeard.

I still have a lot of variations on facial expressions to do.

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 10, 2014

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Is this for a game? Looking good so far! Got any more characters to make?

Thanks! I'm making a puzzle/adventure game about turtles and programming. I think I'll need to do sprites for 3 or 4 additional NPCs, but thankfully none of them should require as many frames.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Every tutorial can benefit from a crazy uncle.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Chipp Zanuff posted:

It looks good! Was just wondering, but does this not wander into Oekaki territory? Apologies if that sounds rude.

I'm not familiar with the term. From what I'm reading it seems to refer more to the way images are made and shared than a style. Do you just mean that I'm working with really large images as pixel art goes?