Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm at a loss over an animation issue. I made an animation of Tetran from the Famicom version of Salamander using an AVI that I recorded with an emulator, converted to an animated GIF in VirtualDub, and then worked on in Aseprite. If I set the animation's frame duration to 17 ms, the animation appears correct in Aseprite and IrfanView, but it seems slow in a web browser (I tried Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge) or in the Windows photo viewer. If a lower the frame duration, the animation slows down instead of speeding up in a web browser, but if I increase the duration to 20 ms, the animation gets pretty close to the animation speed of the game. If I increase the frame duration higher, the animation slows down like I would expect it to. If I adjust the frame duration in another application like Photoshop, I come across the same problem. What gives?

Tetran at 0 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 17 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 20 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 25 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 30 ms frame duration:

Tetran at 60 ms frame duration:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

Most(all?) web browsers have a minimum frame speed of 0.02s for gifs and anything below that gets rounded all the way up to 0.1.

Fascinating. I had no idea.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This certainly took a while.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Don't anyone tell him it's from Salamander Famicom/Life Force NES :ssh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have strange hobbies.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Your character's sword is still made of rubber and the rest of her balloons as she sinks down.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
These weren't as big of a pain as I though they were going to be.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
IT'S SO BIG

...and probably animates slowly in a browser even at 20ms per frame because it's 1.88 MB in size. Though it seems fine in IrfanView, Aseprite, and Photoshop and Crystal Core is about as big of a file. Weird.

edit: oh, if I give it a black background, it plays at a faster speed. I suppose it's because it doesn't have as many transparent pixels to process?

Star Man fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 8, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Things that shouldn't be squishy like metal are still squishy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Weird. These are now working as intended with transparency when one of them wouldn't before.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Here's a movie that I think needs to be required viewing for anyone that wants to ever consider a rotoscoped style of animation: Fire & Ice.

The characters have no value added to their colors. If there are any cast shadows on them, it's usually rendered in black line or shape. But you'll notice that it doesn't shift all the time and any changes to the line or shape are with movement, but it's not warping around like moving water. The shapes adjust in a way that's consistent with their form as they move. Objects like clothing and metal also don't have their lines warp either like they do in a cartoon like in Ed, Edd n Eddy or Beavis and Butthead.

Rotoscopic animation always looks a little janky when compared to traditional animation because it's not as easy to keep everything still in the source that the rotoscoping is being done with when in traditional animation, objects that aren't moving aren't redrawn every frame. But you still have some level of control when you are rendering your artwork and once you apply color to your drawing, you can eliminate a lot of the inconsistencies of the look by making sure that your values, colors, lines, and shapes stay consistent.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Scut posted:

I've long had the notion to try rotoscoped animation for a game with a 3/4 bird's-eye view. You'd need a rig with multiple cameras and maybe a treadmill for walk cycles. I know it would be inelegant vs rotoscoping onto 3D models but it would give more freedom to improvise with movements. It would also be a big time sink.

Wouldn't that just be motion capture?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Your values are better but you still have solid metal objects that inflate and deflate.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nine megabytes of alpha transparency, baby!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Baron Snow posted:

Which Gradius is that from, Star Man?

Gradius II Famicom. I have all fourteen bosses from that game animated now.

The reason I'm animating all these things is to revive a Gradius games LP I started in 2015 and blew up after eight updates. I'm a raging loving lunatic and want animations for the boss profiles because I think it looks cool, but it takes a while to make these. It doesn't help my cause much when the community that rips sprites skips several games or does a lovely job of it that I have to rip them all myself with an emulator by extracting image data from tiles or recording a video of them, converting it to a GIF, and editing it all in Aseprite. There's one game in particular that is going to be really painful to make images from because there are no X68000 emulators with recording features.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Your pallette is kinda brown.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And now for something completely different.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 10, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I will never understand why it is every digital artist's goal to make every color have a warm tone--blue included.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's been a hot minute since I put together an animation from a Gradius game. I have such a dumbass hobby.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Eye see you!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It drives me loving crazy that Aseprite doesn't have features like nudge or being able to manually input in values to set the XY coordinates of a selection on a layer.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I joined their Discord to ask if the features exist and I'm just missing them, but they all just told me to write a script to do that.

loving computer people.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Then enlighten me on what it is. I'm a Photoshop kid and just want to use my arrow keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to be that weirdo in 2024 who plans out original dot art on graph paper like it's 1982.