Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'm relatively new to Pixel-art, and art in general, but here's a few examples of my attempts of art:

A sprite of a friends character. I wasn't sure how to create a good human-base, hopefully as I improve I can create my own, so i used Ash Crimson's sprite as a base, got his outline and then proceeded to change it..

A bigger, more detailed sprite of the above character

Be wary of pillow shading! It looks like you put down your darkest shadow color first and then pillow shaded from there. You should define your light source first and then shade accordingly.

(I also don't know how to render out folds in pants, so maybe this won't be the best example)

Be mindful about your anatomy too, because anatomical errors will be more obvious on larger, detailed sprites. You gave him two right hands, for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Coldrice posted:

Ugh it does look like dancing

I thought the solution would just be timing, but... uh... I guess I just made snappier dancing.

Then again it looks like climbing animations out of context are just silly in general, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
Hey, I hope this isn't out of line (and I don't wanna dogpile on you), but as Marx said your concept has a good silhouette that kinda got lost in the transition. The 32x32 size is pretty restricting, but making use of your horizontal pixels would probably help out a lot!

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
I've been whittling away at some random stuff lately to pass the time.

Some talk sprites. Bomb collars!

Those go along with some super old stuff:

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
Most(all?) web browsers have a minimum frame speed of 0.02s for gifs and anything below that gets rounded all the way up to 0.1.