Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Yeah, in fighting games you're really only looking at two giant sprites the entire game--the rest is just fluff. It makes sense for them to be huge. There's way too much other stuff in platformers to be focusing on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Those are great!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I think it's readable, but requires too much focus and strains the eye a little bit. I think it's the brightness of the top row, the pink color. Try making it a few shades darker and re-post?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I agree that the top one is better, but the little notch is bothering me.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

chaos engine...are you working on a game these days?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

It actually looks pretty good, except for that thing jutting out on the left. I'd remove that.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Bottom one looks like Alf, except in my nightmares.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Wow, that's only 13 colors? Amazing!

My only issue with this and the last few shots you've posted is I'm starting to think screenshake is being overused lately. Dunno, maybe it's just me. Can you post one without screenshake just to see what it looks like?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Supernorn posted:

Jungle environment I created for pirate game. The characters were drawn by a cool dude called Zach Montoya.

Looks cool. I'm sure you've gotten this before, but is this inspired by Hyper Light Drifter at all?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Chipp, sorry I know there's been a lot of discussion on your progress here, I might have missed it, but has anyone given you advice about the black border pixels? They seem really jarring to me.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Just an update on Non-Human/Enemy units, with previous versions for comparison:

Bottom row is the latest update.
I still think they would look way better without those black outlines.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I'm aiming for readability and the sprites may not always be placed against a single-colour backround.

But i did give it a go and here it is, for comparison's sake:

Hopefully you recognize how amazingly better these look.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Scut posted:

I've been doing almost all client work the past week and wanted something unattached to any specific project to stretch my creative muscles a touch. Say hello to my fictional gang member. He's a video correspondent for the Waffle Conans, selling footage to network affiliates as his crew vies for control of the Mortuary Junction.
Coming from someone who thinks your work is consistently amazing, I feel like something is off here with the shoulder/ice cream thing. It doesn't fit for some reason, but I'm not an artist and can't pinpoint the reason. Too bright?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

rinski posted:

Edit: better loop for the last one.
That monster is awesome, did you get inspiration from anything?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Screenshake is the most utterly overused thing in indie games lately and I cringe every time I see it. I like your blur better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

The lighting is cool but it doesn't look like the way I'd expect someone to sit in a chair. It kinda looks like the way someone would sit down if they had their eyes closed.