Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Here's a first try after reading some of the tutorials in the first post. I can't really draw anything other than basic geometric shapes, but it will be fun to play around more.

-= study of orb =-

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punchdaily posted:

I am finally, after almost two decades of trying, getting a somewhat firm hold on pixel graphics. but I made some GameBoy RPG mock-ups a month or so ago as a lark. I like working within the Gameboy palate because it stops me from going apeshit on the sprites. I was inspired by the sprites of the Japanese version of Ghostbusters 2 for the NES, which has some super-adorable sprite work, and is made by the team that made Kirby's Adventure! It's really worth a try if you can get a hold of it. Warning: For some reason Winston is blue.

Part of me really wants to make this game, but I've got a lot to learn about programming and/or GameMaker 8.1 before I can really do anything with it, and I've got other projects I want to do first. I have about 100 monster sprites for the game, seven main characters, six generics and a handful of town tiles.

Also: I like "aseprite" for tile making. It's good for testing out repeating tiles, at least. I haven't used it to animate anything.

These are absolutely wonderful. I'd love to see the Ghostbusters 2 sprites you used as inspiration, is there any good site for viewing these as opposed to just trying to glean from screenshots? http://spriters-resource.com doesn't seem to have anything and that's the only big site I know for resources like that.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Seashell Salesman posted:

Okay, I found a free library provided by the GraphicsGale folks which will read gal files into bitmap handles (they only provide a windows binary naturally), with that I can covert gal files to other animations or explode them into multiple static images of whatever format I like. Why on Earth they would provide this for free when their entire upgrade pitch is "Convert to GIF!" is beyond me. If anyone is interested in doing conversions like this (especially if you want to do it programmatically) then I can point out the framework code I used, which is extremely simple. But I suspect I might be the only person in the universe who cares about this.

I would love to see that code, it sounds useful for me too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Ash Crimson posted:

Will do so! Specifically the arms or the body itself moving up and down?

Tried to fix that in this update (still working on upper body sorry)

Hopefully it looks less kick-walkish.

I think the main thing now is on the last frame of the kick back, the flat of his foot is perpendicular to the ground. If that was angled somewhat I think it would look pretty natural.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

thats cool, where was it posted?