Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

.TakaM posted:

Here's what I've been working on lately:

I think it's done, but I'd like to get some feedback before dropping it. Keep in mind that it will hold on certain frames in game for ascending and descending.

Thats looking pretty nice. The main thing I see with it is the back, tail and the back legs on the landing, they seem to be a bit ridgid, maybe bring the back legs towards the head with a slightly curved back a for the land?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Essentailly done, in game it'll be made up of multiple animated body parts put together so I don't want to over complicate things.

Spriting diagonal running is possibly the shittest thing..

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Scut posted:

When I can team up with a programmer I guess.

Actually I've been mulling over how to make the game into a board game seeing as it's really hard to find reliable programmers for zero budget indie projects (assuming you want to see it finish), and I've also started to get really interested in the new wave of boardgames coming out.

Is Delver still ongoing?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Scut posted:

Nice palette, would you mind sharing it?

Umm, maybe you're thinking of The Salvage? There are a couple indie games going under the name Delver with some nice pixel art but they are not projects I'm involved with.

Yeah thats the one, sad to see its not currently in progress!

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Scut posted:

Personally I don't flatrate anything. Every client wants something custom, every client is going to ask for changes. If they can't pay me hourly then they are probably wasting both my own time and theirs.

I got a new plane done. It's largely inspired by the Super Tucano. I'm not happy with the character standing next to it yet. Her upper torso is wrong and I should probably simplify the hands to leave less pixel noise.

Agreed on not flat rating - flat rate makes it a you vs them situation (you want to get it done as quickly as possible to maximise your profit, they want it done as well as possible to get the most value for their money.)

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice
Been working on this this evening, almost happy with it.

Ideally want to keep the colours low and simple to make it easier to change the markings with masking on the fly and to keep it readable at smaller sizes, think it works well enough without the shading?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Scoss posted:

A friend and I are trying our hand at making games for fun, I'm the art half of the team and our first project is a simple platformer. I'm learning all kinds of annoying things about how to handle sprite sheets for games, but the most intimidating part is definitely making and animating pixel art. I have a painting and illustration background so I'm not completely hopeless, but I have extremely little experience with pixel art and no experience with animation at all, everything is an exciting new challenge when it comes to making things move.

This is Jumpman, our player character. This is actually his second incarnation because the first version had a 3-frame walk cycle and it was so horrendously lovely I could not let it continue to exist, so this is technically my second attempt at a proper walk/run cycle ever.

He came out a lot better than I expected but I know there must be things that are wrong and I could use some criticism on both the pixel and animation aspects. One thing I've noticed after getting him into the game and running around is that as the arms pump the left and right sort of occupy the same space and have similar shape/palette that can cause a little bit of confusion about what's in front of what. Similar thing with the legs too I guess. Not sure what the solution is exactly, I might try an even darker color for the rear limbs to push them further back in space. I think the contrast in general could stand a little push perhaps. I'm also a little unsure about the quasi-toolbelt thing that I designed him with, it looked alright in the idle stance but I wonder if it's just confusing the read on his body in the run cycle. I'm planning on building a 3-frame jump animation to round out the movement set and I'll probably make some final tweaks to the whole thing then.

yeah first thing I noticed was the arms too and switching up the colours a bit would probably help, looks pretty nice otherwise!

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

anothergod posted:

How do I start making a roguelike?

This is awesome and reads really easy

I've recently delved back into pixel art for a game I'm working on once I found out how hostile 3d modelling software is (again).

Im fairly happy with these, maybe too many dark colours? Also annoyingly I switched the pallette to dawnbringers 32 colour one and there's a few reaaaaaly similar colours hidden in the frames somewhere, but I can cross that bridge when I come to it with photoshop.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice
All the stuff on this page looks so amazing :11tea:

I've been getting back into doing pixel art and drew a bunch of graphics with the aim of them being easy to read at 100% magnification, so I opted for chunky outlines and dark pixels to use as antialiasing (which by habit always turns into shading). Turns out I drew everything almost smaller than I needed to, so here's my start on redrawing them bigger which I'm terrified of doing as it tends to head away from stylised and in a more ugly realism direction with all the extra detail etc which is not what I'm after.

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 23, 2021

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Bean posted:

Would anyone mind to critique my first walk cycle?

Here's the sheet if that helps.

Thank you~

I think as a first attempt its fantastic, instead of actually trying to explain a few things, I've done a real quick and dirty few minor changes on it here:

- Frame 4 and 8 had the neck line shifting up, shoulders have been brought up to match
- The gut was kind of shifting out of sync, I made it a bit less...shifty
- Shifted the shoulder forward 1px on frames 6 and 7
- Made the arm swing upwards a bit on frame 2 when its furthest back, before 1 2 and 3 had the arm doing a different shape but it didn't quite convey the movement
- Pointed the toes towards the ground on frames 2 and 6 - I didn't do a great job of it
- Sped it up a bit, but that was just to make it easier for me to see what needed changed motion wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Wipfmetz posted:

So, uh... I am in need of doing a sideview of a wall climb animation.
I also found that while there are lots of references for walk animations, there's nearly none for a wall climb.

Does anybody have an advice or link for me?

https://www.mixamo.com/

There are a bunch of climb animations on here and you can scrub through them frame by frame.