Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What are the bonuses for using Intimidate/Persuasion?

I tried Persuading those guys in the intro to start down that path, but it's never stuck, and since I end up going Magic every game anyway, the Axiii trick usually works much better for me. Just curious what kind of buffs I'm giving up in the process, since the +5 Sign Strength is actually really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

dihaploidy posted:

Oh okay, I won't worry about that until I do a second playthrough then, Thanks for the explanation.

More accurately Geralt, Ves and the Blue Stripes go drinking, and many shenanigans occur. It's not the most important quest, and most people will miss it, but its funny and helps flesh out the charaters,

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno but in general, people seem to know what witchers are about, and yet they keep falling for that hex. There's a lot about fantasy worlds that I have a hard time suspending disbelief on.

edit: does anyone remember the sequence off-hand to get La Valette to surrender?

The average intelligence level of people in the Witcherverse tends to be very low, to the point flying, teleportation, and a whole host of other things are also attributed to Witchers.

The neat thing about Axii Hex is that it tends to only work on the dumb, you can attempt to use it on magical creatures/Witchers/Sorcerers/Sorceresses/Nilfgaardians, and it will fail every time no matter what you do, because they are trained against stuff like that. I think even a few Kings have anti Axii training. It'll give you the option of course, but it just won't do anything besides them calling you out on it.

Same with Persuade/Intimidate, there are a few conversations in the game that if you try to Persuade someone, they'll call you out on it, even if you pass, and if you intimidate certain people, again, even if you pass, you'll get a less then desired result.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I really wonder how Witcher 3 will handle choices.

I just saw both endings, and they offer drastically different scenarios for how things are going to go in the future.

On my Roche run, it pretty much outright stated the North will win, as it mentioned Anais will learn from Roche/Natalis how to be a badass warrior Queen and will crush Radovids forces when he comes to claim Temeria "several years after the second Great Nilfgaard War", and will destroy all opposition to her rule among the barons/other nations, becoming a better leader then even her father.

On my Iorveth run though, it basically just popped up with a "What the gently caress was wrong with you getting rid of your neutrality? Now that you got played by Nilfgaard the North is super hosed! At least the nonhumans will be free to live under the totalitarian regime of the Emhyr, a man who wants to kill you so he can sleep with your/his daughter!"

If they are going for two entirely different paths good on them I guess, but I wonder if they'll just pull another Triss/Shani and make one canon for the future battles.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

So I loaded up this game for the first time, read the OP, played the tutorial, seemed to instantly get the hang of everything and felt pretty drat smug about it. At the end of the tutorial it says,"Now we'll bring in several waves of fighters, how many you are able to defeat will give you a recommended difficulty setting." No problem, I think, prepare myself and step into the red circle.

"We recommend EASY difficulty setting for you." :negative:

I have you beat.

I prepare myself, and easily handle all the enemies, final wave starts to launch, and I figure I should use my traps.

Set them all down around the area, and then start drawing them to them by launching an Igni, which blows up all the traps, and sends Geralt flying out of the Arena.

"We Recommend Easy"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Honestly replaying through The Witcher 2, I'm noticing they really lean hard on the whole crapsack world thing, it's just a relentless downer all of the time. They probably should lighten it up a touch just so the atrocities actually seem like atrocities and not "oh things got a little out of hand there". I play the Witcher with a sort of detachment because everyone is so poo poo all the time and constant horrible fates await just about everyone. If they gave even a little bit of genuine, simple hope to the world it would seem a lot more engaging to me. But hey, even your good intentions have bad results and the nobles are just going to run over the common folk regardless, so gently caress it. Let's slay a few monsters, maybe make this village a better place until it's inevitable pillage/sacking. Bleh.

It's not though, it's just the situation we see.

Foltest was a good/great king who was widely loved by his people, the people who live in Nilfgaard have pretty ok lives, it's just a totalitarian dictatorship where racism is punished by death, many parts of Redenia/Kaedwan are somewhat nice places to live, the Elven Capital is a beauty of it's own, same with Makham, etc.

In Witcher 2 though, all we see are a shithole trading post in the middle of the rear end in a top hat of Temeria, a warzone full of angry soldiers, and a summit to announce everyone's political ambitions, and everyone hates us because we are supposedly the Kingslayer, and are not helping their goals. Even Witcher 1 was similar, it was a little racist hole in the ground, Vizima during the worst time in its history, and a bunch of warzones, look at Murky Waters for example of a nicer place.

I actually really liked how Roche evolved through the course of the game, in the beginning he makes it clear he neither trusts nor really likes you, but deals with you because Foltest did trust you, and you'd likely be of some help, by the end however his entire character has changed, and he basically becomes Zoltan p2 human edition.

Also only the Iorveth path really builds itself on/ends on a negative note. If you go with him, the nonhumans in Aedirn will likely just get slaughtered by the incoming Nilfgaardians as they use that as their passage into Redenia, Geralt will forever be banished from the North as he'll never lose the Kingslayer title after killing Henselt, and the North has no chance of surviving the incoming army. If you do the Roche path though it does end on a good note, the North is prepared for Nilfgaard and you get several "after the war this country was still around" popups, Geralts name gets cleared, and Roche basically joins Geralts band of merry misfits as they go hunting for Yennefer/Ciri to keep them from the Emhyr.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Eddain posted:

Is Geralt averse to using ranged weapons or is he just not skilled in them? I know you can throw knives and stuff but you never see him pick up a crossbow or use a bow for anything.

When you can canonically dodge bolts, what's the point in firing back. Go stab the fucker.

More accurately, he's trained in light crossbows, but nothing more. Thing is he's rarely in situations where he'd need it. Outside of the games, he's mainly a monster hunter, and monsters don't tend to attack you from ranged areas. And even if they did, somebody from his group of friends could usually handle that problem better then he could with a crossbow. He's also not hurting for ranged attacks, as he usually carries grenades of a sort, bolas, can throw his sword, and has ranged signs.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Slashrat posted:

Since the existence of other worlds got mentioned, can somebody more knowledgeable than me summarize the Witcher universe's creation myth? All I remember from it ingame is bits about there being multiple worlds that interacted in the past.

Which one?

According to the Elves, the gnomes/dwarves are the oldest races on the Continent, and have been there even before they arrived. The Elves arrived a long time ago from "a distant land" on "white ships that flew in the sky", and quickly began a peaceful coexistence with the other Elder Races. According to the Elves, they were created, not evolved like the humans that came later.

Humanity as a whole arrived during an event called the Conjunction of the Spheres, where the human world/the world of the Witcher got way to close, and things were able to cross the barriers. This was when humanity learned how to use magic, and also when monsters started coming in to play. Almost every monster type in the world of the Witcher came from the human world, which was apparently destroyed by something the humans did.

The Wild Hunt's existence is ( probably major Witcher 3 spoilers ) they are the other group of Elves that decided to not settle down, but instead become intergalactic racist murderers. They go from world to world wiping out any life that isn't up to their standards before moving on.

The common theory that most people have is that the setting is actually a post apocalyptic one. The Elves are human astronauts/biomodders/ecoterrorists ( who knows which, but all their differences would be fantastic biomods for astronauts trying to survive space/settle new worlds ) that saw the writing on the wall and left Earth on spaceships, hence the "flying white ships" to the Dwarves/Gnomes. A few thousand years after that, the Human race finally did itself in and nuked the planet, creating monsters and destroying what was left. In desperation they caused the Conjunction of the Spheres, creating an event that allowed them to escape, but also allowed all the monsters to escape.

This is also likely why humans/elves can reproduce, but neither humans or elves can reproduce with gnomes/dwarves. It also explains the abundance of advanced tech randomly appearing in the world of the Witcher.

Probably not the origin story you were expecting, but hey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, on the bright side, I'm not going to suddenly blowing several hundred dollars come Febuary now for Rogue/Unity/REmake/Rev2/Witcher 3. On the other, drat, Witcher 3 was the one I wanted most out of that pile.

• Locked thread