Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mickey McKey posted:

Question about this, spoilers just to be safe.
The Rivian Pogrom is when non-humans there start getting mass-murdered but then Geralt stands up for some non-humans, gets pitchforked and dies, then he gets revived somehow, the wild hunt stuff happens, then Witcher 1 with Geralt running from wtf with no memories right at the beginning?

Yeah Geralt is interesting in a game sense because he's an established character in a universe where he's well known but he has amnesia and the player is left to figure out wtf. Someone basically went "Wouldn't it be cool to make a Witcher game?" and they went with the main character and continued a book series instead of making up a new character in the same universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lycus posted:

This part's wrong. Yennefer was struck down in the riot too. Ciri heals Geralt and Yennefer and teleports them to Avalach.

They didn't go there to recover, it's a timeless dimension where they could spent eternity together. It's basically an afterlife.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Will modded saves be able to carry over to the Witcher 3? I'll go for another playthrough from my Witcher 1 save with this mod to get nice and primed for the third game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Roche is a great dude, and there's a lot of satisfaction in the last chapter with him. I do like the theme of Iorveths path better though, and the ending is a lot more positive.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

It activates when you expend your adrenaline bar.

Regarding Saskia and Upper Aedirn/Pontar Are we so sure that not breaking Philippa's spell will lead to the collapse of the new state? Philippa created it, after all. Why should she want to just take her pet dragon away and let it fall apart?

Saskia is doing just fine before Phillipa takes her over with the spell. She was poisoned by the nobility to curb her influence because they wanted to suck up to the King and earn pardons. Phillipa basically took the opportunity to get a pet dragon and everything after that went to poo poo.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lycus posted:

They definitely have Geralt not knowing about it at the start of Witcher 2. If you ask Triss about it in Chapter 3, she's surprised and asks "How do you know about the Lodge?" So it is a discontinuity. It's not to big deal to me either, though.

Yeah, they never really covered where he came from. The best answer I could think of for this is how Letho mentions that he knows there are a couple of other viper school witchers out there besides him, Serrit and Auckes but he hasn't seen them in a long time. Maybe one got captured by the Empire and was given the same deal as Letho's trio.

Honestly I think the assassin from the first game was related to the fact that it was all about people stealing the Witchers secrets. And they changed course and went for the Letho storyline as a sort of adaption to that. There's still plenty of material for the Salamanders though since the other Witchers are off in other directions and we still haven't heard from them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What hooked me on Witcher 1 was the actual investigation section and the fact the bad guy of the game might be 100% completely justified in everything he did. If the white frost is coming and his actions saved the human race, they could be excused no matter how evil the deed. But we'll never know now.

The question is whether there's anything left that was worth saving after he's done.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Konsek posted:

Big spoilers in this question: What are the conditions to kill Dethmold? Is it choosing the option to not save Triss like I imagine?

Yes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

I'd be fine with him being gay if he also wasn't suddenly really fussy when everything else about him suggested he was an awkward nerd that gave no shits about his appearance. That was a bit weird. It's just too much of a convergence of stereotypes suddenly, and it kinda took me out of the narrative that otherwise handled its characters really well.

I mean I guess they were just kinda setting up a joke where all the Kaedwenis were wondering what horrible tortures he was doing in that warded off room, but it turned out he was just loving some dude. But it kinda got botched in the execution.

I didn't even really notice it. At this point gay culture is so ingrained in modern media that I just kinda went "oh I guess he's gay... gently caress YES ROCHE IS THE COOLEST!"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm reinstalling this because I started a Dark playthrough I never finished. I haven't done any of the new act 3 stuff (but I finished the game like 3 times before the rework), is there any cool quests I should definitely check out in the new act?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finally finished my Dark playthrough, the new act 3 stuff was interesting but not earth shattering. I had to cheat in some extra orens to finish the Kinslayer set though, because there was simply no way I could scrape all that money together.

I am a little sad though, because I played this with Roche and it's just so goddamn bleak. I had forgotten how horrific the pogrom against the mages and sorcerers is when you don't save Triss and the north is utterly hosed despite having strong kings. I would have preferred to have Saskia around but honestly I don't see her city surviving the initial onslaught of the Empire after the beating they took from Henselt. I'm super excited to bring this save over to the Witcher 3, but I doubt it will have too much effect on the game since it's set in the Empire. Plus there were plenty of retcons from the first game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah, they were really good at making the choices sting. Should be some real doozies in the next game.

It's really a great choice. Because on one hand some of the mages really do want a proper conclave with controls so they can practice their magic in relative safety for the good of the north, and they all end up dying because of the lodge which is a relatively tiny group within the whole. On the other hand you have Broche and you feel you need to save the little girl. I honestly feel that saving Triss is probably the better choice overall because it's the more callous one with real benefits. I don't think saving Anais will actually have a great impact on the political situation of the north.

poo poo I might just go back and save Triss. But Broche :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh and btw, what the hell did I win for finishing the game in Dark Mode?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

alex314 posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind getting not feature complete beta through GOG in second part of the year. I'd reserve second playthrough for "extended director's cut" version after couple months.

Please no. Let's not make early access an acceptable part of AAA game releases.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

alex314 posted:

I see no downsides: you get title with flaws to fix, and a person that gets it at official release has mature patched and balanced product.

That is exactly the legacy the devs are trying to escape now. Twice they've released a buggy and unfinished product that had to be fixed up later. It's a testament to them that they have done the extra work but let's not pretend it should ever be an acceptable business model.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

It just seemed like a weird solution to a problem that has a much simpler, more logical one: Just give the player a spell to teleport to the outside entrance. Not that I object to it in concept, but having it in every dungeon made no sense.

It's one of the reasons I'm very excited for Pillars of Eternity's dungeon design. The mega dungeon especially is designed around multiple forays where you clear a part of it, leave and come back later after you've resupplied and sold loot. It gives dungeons a more natural and expansive feel that I really missed in Skyrim outside of that one massive underground cave.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

edit: ^...beaten?

Beat the game last night, was checking on a wiki and I saw there is another "path" you can take (with Iorveth). Is this worthwhile to do? I feel like I could bang it out pretty quick now that I know how the game works. The game itself was also much shorter than I expected it to be so maybe they're hiding another few hours of content on this other path?

Also Footwork x2 is baller.

Yes. Think back to how long chapter 2 was when you're slumming around an army camp with Broche. You get another chapter 2 of similar length that's in my opinion better.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Brumaldo posted:

Does this invasion of Nilfgaard feature in the books in any way, or are we going in uncharted territory?

I don't really see the northern kingdoms getting out of this one, so I'm wondering if CDPR would take any big departure from Sapkowski's work.

A big part of Nilfgards invasion plan was to neutralize the mages so they must at least think there's a good chance of being beaten back by powerful magic users. I could totally see some Salamander-esque efforts by the mages to create abominations to fight them and failing that, the entire north turns into the middle east and is just impossible to occupy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The gameplay video was really cool, the three dames were a great wtf moment and it's c thaoolt in the Witcher even when you think you're doing the right thing you're gonna get a gut punch.

I like my dark fantasy...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope they have some sort of Dragon Age Keep esque save game editor that I can use because I lost all my saves from the previous games in a format :(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

There has to be some site where you can download saves with different choices, similar to Mass Effect 2, right?
If not, you could always ask the thread.

I think so yeah, I'm pretty sure I used one for the Witcher 2. Hopefully there's something close enough to what I did and at least the Witcher series didn't have that many critical choices.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where the gently caress did the downgrade thing come from?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

I really wish more developers of open world games would be willing to do this.

Double Fine sort of ruined it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Witcher 3 will take horse armor to a whole new level.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Aumanor posted:

*Literally. Apparently, you can cast spells with your leg provided you're good enough, although it's rather unreliable. Her first batch of targets just turned yellow.

That's really loving funny, I should read the books.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I never felt as though the problem with W1 was the fighting gameplay - that's fairly competent for what it is. The dialogs were the really janky part for me. Blank-eyed mannequins reciting an alien robots idea of noir-speak right past each other.

I think they redid a lot of the voice acting in the Enhanced Edition. But hey at least Geralt's voice actor learned a lot between the two games.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hell I'm still using a GTX 580, I'll probably upgrade for the Witcher though since my card is quite old and you can get some really beefy cards for basically peanuts these days.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Counterpoint: Don't buy an AMD card.

I have a 4GB MSI 770 and it owns but you're better off getting the sweet new 970 and being set for several years.

There are some really good value cards out there but the 970 isn't it. Most people are looking to buy for about $300 give or take.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

On the other hand, the GTX 970 is the absolute best price per performance card you can buy right now. It's around $330 though, but at least you're getting your money's worth.

Yeah I just checked the prices again and HOLY poo poo it's cheap enough. Just ordered one :toot:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Well don't leave us hanging, share your value secrets.
It's a 290X with some mail-in rebate isn't it.

^^haha ok, hope it was a MSI Gaming 4G or Asus Strix

I got the MSI, I really shouldn't make snap decisions like this and I hope I'm not wasting my money.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Suspicious posted:

A big problem in Witcher 2 was that buff timers would still keep going during conversations, so if you went through every option and let the voice actors speak all their lines, by the the time the fighting started your buffs would be gone.

The trick is to always be high on at least four different substances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

These are all great :allears:

The third one especially just screams "can I have your stuff?"

• Locked thread