Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anybody experienced catching stripers? They don't live where I live so I have little experience with them, but I love surf fishing and stripers are on my bucket list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Today is the third trip in a row where the first cast caught a bass, this time in a heavily-fished lake where they should know better. It's starting to feel like I've unlocked Easy Mode.

These are the days to remember during the periods when you can't catch a fish to save your life and you wonder if you ever will again. You've been posting some real hogs lately!

Rig question: is a Lindy Rig the same as a Carolina Rig, except with a no-snag sinker instead of an egg sinker? It seems like it is, but maybe there is some kind of subtle, functional difference that I'm not seeing.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

It's pretty close, but the idea with the lindy rig is that because the weight is resting on the bottom, you can open the bail and let walleye take the hook without feeling any weight, then set the hook once they've taken it fully. It's good for slower feeding/finnicky fish. A carolina works totally fine when they're hungry. Also it seems because carolina is a bass thing, and lindy is a walleye thing, theyre used mostly with soft plastics and live bait respectively.

Thanks to whoever posted this earlier, it's useful enough to be posted again http://www.fishinfo.com/fishing-articles/article_512.shtml

Thanks! Yep, that's the subtle difference that I was missing. I use Carolina rigs in saltwater for bottomfish and shore fishing in lakes for trout, so I'd forgotten that they're primarily a bass rig. Maybe I should switch it up like I'm fishing for walleye and see if it makes a difference.

That link is a pro click, too.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Decide to try a spot in my new town; doesn't look like much, one of those small ponds with a fountain.

First cast, something slurps my senko out of the O ring. Rerig with a 4" senko. Slurped out on the second cast. Rerig. Third one gets slurped out after a couple more casts.

Got frustrated, poked the hook through the next senko instead of O-ringing it, then this happened:

Even the small bait-sized bream were going hog drat wild on the thing. Out of seven caught total, probably four snatched it before it could even start sinking.

It always cracks me up when a tiny fish tries to take a lure that is nearly as large as it. Also, is bream a local name for bluegill where you are or am I completely misidentifying your fish?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

We're back at the lake again this weekend. The water is 70 now which makes me think the lake trout are probably close to the bottom. We don't have much in the way of vertical jigging gear so I'm not sure it's worth fishing at all. Bass opens in 3 weeks though.

Is it worth trolling for lake trout once the water warms up? Or trying to vertical jig with just a regular rod and reel set?

Trolling and mooching are preferred ways to catch salmon from a boat in any season. I realize that lake trout is not salmon, but it is a salmonid so it seems worth a shot?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

dms666 posted:

I'm going to be working out of Spokane for about the entire month of September. Any advice for fishing up there during that time period? It appears there are steelhead/salmon runs in the fall from some quick reading I did, lots of lake fishing too.

You will be east of the Cascades, so salmon and steelhead will be bad compared to the wet side of the mountains. Eastern Washington has the best walleye and crappie fishing if you like lakes, but if you prefer rivers and trout you will have a lot of options, too. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has a wealth of good info!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Recently went out on a friend's boat with him and his dad in the Long Island Sound, did some saltwater fishing for the first time in forever. Had a drat blast. We were all getting a good number of bites, but for some reason I was lucky as hell and it seemed like I couldn't even take a rest from reeling in something. Even if it was just a sea robin it was fun as hell. Ended up keeping 2 fluke, a porgy, and a bluefish.

It was a good fuckin' day

Dude you have stripers out there, too. And if you haven't tried surf fishing before, know that it is an option!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can I catch Striper or only Bluefish on a 6.5 foot medium heavy spinning rod with 25 lb braid?

I'm planning an impromptu Massachusetts fishing trip to the ocean

I think that would probably be fine for a boat but is probably too short for long casts from the beach. You'll probably want a reel that holds a substantial amount of line (250 yards or more) either way.

Please be aware that I have never caught a striped bass, only researched and lusted after the opportunity. They don't live where I live. :(

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Planet X posted:

Heading to the upper Potomac this weekend to wade for smallmouth. I've got a few approaches. First, I'm going to use some flies: Crayfish and maybe some subsurface stuff. I

For spinning, I've got a few packs of Z man worms (ned rig). I'm going with some folks that haven't fished before, so it'd be nice to get something, so I'm looking for recommendations.

Best bet is basically Senkos, wacky rig, right? I've been trying to keep up with this and the 'post a fish' thread, but I could use a refresher on what works on smallmouth. I'll order up some lures soon and have them delivered if so. I've got a few rapalas too.

Thanks yall. I'm really looking forward to this as I have some brand new waders and boots that I've not used yet!

Somewhere, bongwizzard's bass sense is tingling.

Wacky rigged Senkos have been very productive for folks in this thread. Ned Rigs are also great for beginners; last year I caught bass with every cast on a Ned Rig having never caught bass before and having no idea what I was doing. The combination of mushroom jig and short Senko is a magical thing.

Also the Post a Fish thread in Take a Hike is a very good thread. Why are there two fishing threads in different forums? It doesn't matter, :justpost: about fishing!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

tesilential posted:

Use a 2 hook (dropper) rig with pyramid weight on the bottom. Best general bait is filets of fingerling mullet or strips of bluefish belly, thread hook through a couple times but leave a “tail” that will wiggle in the current. Dig your hands into the sand after a wave breaks on shore and see if you can catch sand fleas. If you do throw the big ones on the hook and have fun!

For artificial I love nekid ball jigs off the beach, when the fish are really aggressive it even outfishes the bait described above.

You can expect bluefish, Spanish Mack’s, white trout, whiting, jacks, speckled trout, the occasional redfish, etc.

During the fall mullet run Tarpon and other big predators are reachable from the beach too.

Seconded for West coast surf fishing, too. 2-4oz sinkers, depending on current. Clam necks are good natural bait, and Gulp sandworms have a great reputation.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Enigma posted:

Thanks for the tips, tesilential and A Pack of Kobolds. Dropper rig with pyramid sinker is what I've tried in the past, so maybe just rotten luck and inability to read the surf.

I didn't think redfish or trout came this far south. I've only ever heard of them being caught in the north half of the state.

Reading the surf is everything. Try a bunch of different places and don't stick to a spot that isn't productive. I love surf fishing and I'm not even that great at it, but I'm trying to put the time in to git gud. If you want to try some other rigs, there's a good book called Notley's Book of Saltwater Knots & Rigs, or something to that effect. Might see if you can get a used copy.

a foolish pianist posted:

Thanks, A Pack of Kobalds! I finally got the dick spoon yesterday. Sorry the Ann Arbor post office is total clown shoes - I didn't even get (or maybe didn't see, if it was slipped into a circular or something) the notice that it was at the post office before.

gently caress yeah, I'm glad you finally got it!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hopper posted:

You can buy pretty cheap foldable anchors and rope at building supplies stores with home and garden departments over here, should be the same in the US. Alternatively depending on the water body and dange of losing the anchor, I ahve used bricks with a hile and a lien through as weight. That won't help with strong winds or currents though.

In reference to nothing, I've been in Germany for a couple of weeks and my goodness the fishing laws here are strict.

Nabokoffin posted:

Picked up a new 7wt fly rod and reel on friday, got to break it in today. (took it out Saturday for carp but no luck)

Beautiful! You may consider posting in the Post a Fish thread in the Take a Hike subforum.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hopper posted:

Part of it is because they want people to be educated on the laws surrounding fishing, and they also teach you about the local fish, about proper "ethical" killing, and about techniques and stuff in order to prevent overfishing and cruelty to animals.

I can see why you need a permit for each water body as well, we are 80+million Germans and we already managed to almost empty out some of our lakes and rivers in the past.

But a 6 weekend course and difficult test is overkill.

Are there subsidies for poor people or is the price point meant to make angling unavailable to all but the most serious anglers with cash to spare? I get that overfishing has been a problem, but are fish hatcheries and stocking verboten?

I think about how many fudds where I live complain about license fees, and an annual license for saltwater, freshwater, and shellfish is only like $100 for any legal body of water in the state.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thank you for answering! I am glad that poachers are prosecuted. It's kind of a shame that eating one's catch isn't more popular though. It's an immensely satisfying thing to harvest one's own food.

Viel glück for your trip, and please post pics of your catch!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I pay my license fees happily every year because the department of fish & wildlife in my state is extremely kickass and I don't expect them to do the work that they do for free, and jerks who want to dump industrial waste into salmon rivers can suck the chili out of my rear end in a top hat.

Also extremely drinkable beer in Germany costs €1.80 per liter so yeah factor that in.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, you have to get a special endorsement on your license for a second rod where I am, and it doesn't even work for every lake. Eleven rods is hosed up and I hope the fish cops nab them.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Yes and Yes. Also you are not in the west coast so I cant mooch from your teachings.

You are severely mistaken, my dude. You are addressing the West Coast Crab Master.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

I've switched to the palomar for tying hooks and small lures on but for big lures it's too much of a pain.

Same here. I like the uniknot for things too unruly for the palomar to be practical. You can also do a double uniknot instead of a blood knot for joining lines. It's a good one to know.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Does anybody actually use the Bimini Twist?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Just pulled out a beauty of a coho on the incomming tide.

Nice salmon! Where were you fishing, and what did you catch it on?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Homer, AK (Kachemak bay) on an orange/silver mepps #4

Awesome. I fish coastal Washington and getting a salmon from the shore is high on my list. I wish it was a humpy run year; my smoker needs some action.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

I just noticed yesterday that snagging is now open at this spot and the limit is 6!

Got some big ol weighted trebbles and about to go try this incoming tide

Dang, you can snag for them there? We can't legally keep anything that wasn't hooked through the lip with a barbless hook.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Fisherman's Life is my favorite by far. He's got the only fishing videos my SO (who is completely disinterested in fishing) actively watches when I queue one up. EliasVFishing is really good too. East coast, was NYC but moved to NC recently. Lots of variety in where he fishes/what he targets, and fishes most of the time from his kayak, which is helpful as a prospective kayak-owner. Lots of catch and cooks.

Washington fish quest is pretty amateurish in terms of the technical stuff, but he's a super charming goofy guy, and is fairly informative. I've been looking for WA content, as I'm moving there soon. There doesn't seem to be much, though.

Most fishing channels have such dire editing so it's refreshing to find someone that knows how to pace a video.

While not WA specific, PK Yi is based in Oregon and has lots of content specifically related to the Pacific Northwest, especially for surf fishing.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Do you bounce them off the bottom or steady retrieve? Either/both/whatever works that day?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

What's going on?

I'll hit the surf again this weekend since it's so drat productive right now and the pompano are coming in. I consider pomps one of the best tasting fish in the world and they make excellent sushi. Plan to do a charter this fall for some grouper or maybe mahi and hit the jetties more frequently to get back into reds and flounder. It's barely cooling off here, but it is starting.

I'm jealous of your surf fishery. It's pretty much only redtail surfperch and Dungeness crab from the beach here.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m gonna put more effort into sand dabs since the drat winter crab season got cancelled for area 10 for a second year in a row.

I've caught a couple of little ones from piers, and I've read that you can catch some really decent ones in West Seattle. Seems like flatfish are still a decent quarry in Puget Sound since everyone else is fishing for salmon.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You should post pics in the PAF thread. I'd love to see all the different fish that you bring in.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I hope that there are many ice fishing posts this winter. I can't do it where I live, but getting piss drunk in a shack while catching panfish on a tiny rod sounds like a good time to me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Mukulu posted:

I'll try to do this for you.

Much obliged. :tipshat: Do you fish live bait or lures under the ice?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I'm hella jealous that you are allowed so many line. We're only allowed one line with up to two hooks in marine areas here. I don't know the exact rationale behind that, but I suspect it has to do with Puget Sound's proud tradition of overfishing and salmon poaching.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

Snuck an hour in yesterday and got a few nice spotted sea trout in the 16-19" range we'll have for dinner tonight. Keeper size pompano keep evading me.

How do sea trout taste? My mind defaults to steelhead in terms of trout of the sea, but I don't believe that spotted sea trout are salmonids so it's probably way different.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Real trout is not good. Too delicate.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Got skunked this morning on a small local lake that was just stocked yesterday with 2-3 lb rainbows. same with the ~10 or so other bank anglers. wtf

I still haven't received so much as a nibble since I moved to this state 2 months ago. my situation is becoming dire, gentlemen.

What's your presentation? Lots of the lakes in your new region have very tall weeds. I've had better luck in terms of quantity by fishing worms off the top, but I've caught larger fish off the bottom, albeit fewer of them.

If you haven't fished saltwater, try that also. There are several public piers to visit.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The annual WDFW rulebook is your bible in terms of following what's in season, especially if you're thinking about salmon. There's no salmon season at the moment, but blackmouth Chinook season opens Jan 1. Also, you've got ten more days to catch a cabezon in Puget Sound if you want to keep it, but there are also usually lots of flatfish, sea perch, pile perch around at any given time. The perch fight like hell on light tackle. And if you like fishing at night, there are squid to be had.

You might look into some nearby rivers if you can't get off the lake bank. Even if the lake isn't very large, there are so many places for fish to be that aren't near you.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

I just picked up a bag of frozen shrimp and some pro-cure herring oil. I'll see whats around the pier tomorrow. Should I use a heavier leader for bottomfishing? I have 15lb braid mainline with a 12lb fluoro leader rigged up on my bass rod, but I could switch things out if there could be something with sharp teeth around

Also my original plan for today was to hit up a river that has some good reports of chum salmon from within the last week, but I got intimidated because salmon fishing seems very involved and I feel like a total outsider. Also I didn't have any clear line heavier than 12 lbs (solved this problem)

You don't have to worry too much about teeth cutting line with most things out here. I can't think of anything around here that would require a wire leader or anything like that. Since you're fishing bait off the bottom, you probably want at least an ounce on there to keep the current from tossing it around. If you're going for perch, I've seen people have good success vertical jigging with a dropshot rig and bait. You probably wouldn't need as much weight for that. A slip bobber rig would also be a good approach. Don't forget to rinse the salt water off your line and reel when you're finished!

River salmon fishing can be really unpleasant if it's crowded. I hate that kind of combat fishing, and if the salmon have already undergone their spawning metamorphosis their meat has already begun to degrade. If you do decide to give it a shot, Buzz bomb lures, especially pink, are favorites though. I'll probably hit some rivers next year for the humpy run, but I'm going to get there before dawn and plan to be gone by 9am, with or without salmon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and salmon fishing usually has bonus regulations like no-snag rules and barbless hook requirements. Definitely consult the WDFW rulebook.

LingcodKilla posted:

I should go fishing this Saturday. Been so busy lately.

I'm not traveling for the holiday so I'm going to try to get, too. I may go to Hood Canal next weekend since blackmouth are open over there. I also need to get out to the coast for surf perch all day, razor clams all night. So much to do. :

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 21, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I think that I need to spend the week between Christmas and New Years in Florida some year. Very nice fish!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Finally broke the drought yesterday with a little pile of striped perch on a carolina rig. they were piled up next to the pier so I basically just suspended my shrimp into the crowd. Not the most challenging fishing in the world, but plenty of fun. Now I want to get out to westport and catch some redtails and crab. Thanks for the suggestion dude.

I need some waders for surf/river fishing. Anyone have any recommendations for brands, or stores with good black friday sales?

My pleasure! I'm glad that they were in the mood to bite. It's the worst when you can see a school of them inspecting your bait and not giving a poo poo.

Also, you probably don't need waders for redtails. They usually hang out between the first and second set of breakers, and you shouldn't need to wade out to cast that far. I'd wager for the first few times that I went and waded that there were more fish swimming around my ankles than were near my bait.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

How about for the humpy run in the sound? I was thinking that could give my cast some extra yardage

A good salmon/steelhead rod with 2-3 oz of lead will give you those yards better than wading in the sound will, and you can use that rod for surf fishing too. Most people without boats catch salmon in the sound from piers (as I understand it), or in rivers during the earliest part of the spawn before they become nightmare fish.

Waders would be a lot more useful in the river than in the sound, though. Neoprene is cheap and warm, but isn't a lot of fun to take on and off. Newer style, breathable waders are very comfortable to wear, but lack insulation. Stockingfoot waders will leak before bootfoot. Pros and cons abound.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Behold, my surf cane pole

I would like to behold this.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Following their scheme, red+green would mean go and green would mean prepare to stop.

It's the New Mexico Way!

Anyway, that 5-piece rod and reel that you posted seem like they'd be alright for trout and panfish, but you could spend $30ish for a 2-piece rod w/ reel combo that could be a bit more all-purpose. Daiwa makes some good entry-level stuff like that. If you get a reel of any brand that comes pre-spooled with line, strip that poo poo off and replace it. It's almost certain to be garbage quality with permanent loops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

hosed up sheepshead

Last Christmas I was in South Carolina and my family and I went pier fishing for some of these weird fuckers. We didn't catch any, and in a way that's a relief. The bait shop sold us shrimp and told us to jig it a little, but I like your method better.

How does it taste, anyway? Do serious sheepshead anglers keep the teeth in mayonnaise jars as trophies?