Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Frogmanv2 posted:

Sup thread.

We went trolling for bonito and apparently were doing the right thing. Bag limit hit of fishies between 1.5kg to 2kg. We had a couple of double hookups within a minute of putting a lure in the water.

The salmon at the bottom was 4.5kg and a bit annoying for me, because it was another double hookup and I learnt the lesson of not tightening up the drag too quickly on thinish line. Mine snapped off and took my lure while my buddy landed his.

Much fun. Only slightly sunburnt.

Nice salmon. How do you cook them? I've not yet worked out how to make them taste edible so they just end up as gummy bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

I really like Shimano spinner reels. However, 1: their low end is garbage, and 2: their middle of the road reels ( Stradic and Sahara) have gotten way too plastic-ey and really expensive. I damaged one last weekend and was looking at 150 bucks or so to replace it. Well.. Penn makes this reel called the Battle II. At around $90, there are no plastic parts. It's also smooth as butter. I love it!

From what I can tell that's the best reel you can get in the ~100$ price range.

We will see how it holds up to weekly trips to the salt water, but I'm pretty sure it will hang just fine.

I quite like Penn Slammers. Heavy and not very smooth, but it is a solid and reliable workhorse reel than can survive the dunkings and sand I subject mine to. Not good for surf spinning due to the weight, but I like them for soaking baits.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 21, 2015

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Caught my first gummy shark the other night

Wasn't massive but he tasted pretty good.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Australia, they might have other names elsewhere but here they're called gummies.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

extra stout posted:

I don't want poo poo on you guys too much but how do you actually lose a rod? I grip mine like a baseball bat that cost more money than my baseball bat so it seems impossible, the only thing I can picture is if you're running multiple rods in a row and one of them hooked a killer whale or something at sea.

I've never lost one myself but a few blokes lose them fishing off the beach for gummy sharks when a huge ray takes the bait and drags the rod and holder into the water. The smooth rays we get here can grow to 2m across and you'd struggle to stop them with game fishing gear. I use bungy cord to tie my rods down when I'm soaking big baits off a pier to give me a few more seconds for the rod goes over the side.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Could be, I like to have it fairly firm though to make sure the circle hooks set properly.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Ugh I hate circle hooks for that reason but I understand it's state law. Just using bronze hooks and cutting them off if they swallow them is pretty harmless to fish.

Are they required by law in some places? I just use them because I do a lot of my fishing at night and picking up little nibbles at a bait that's 100m in the dark out is pretty difficult so I find it easier to just let the fish hook themselves.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They're encouraged in Australia for people practicing C&R but not mandatory in any state as far as I know. They can be a bit useless when the fish are slow and tentative because they don't have the 'momentum' to set the hooks but other than that I like using them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, I've heard of bank fishermen throwing rocks and weights at sleds and stuff which come through too close or too fast. It's not that uncommon on some of the more popular areas with a lot of guides and tourist money as well as hundreds of bank fishermen shoulder to shoulder, many of them drunk. A guy pulled a knife on his own adult son a few weeks back on the Columbia, the kid had his limit and the dad fell asleep with half a case of beer in him, so the kid handed his rod off to a nearby fisherman to land the fish when he couldn't rouse his father in time. The older guy got so pissed off he chased his son around with a fillet knife and then got arrested once the cops arrived. :downsrim:

I hate the popular spots, especially over summer. For a sport that is supposed to be about relaxation people get really pushy. There is a jetty in Melbourne that has a resident retired couple who come and fish right next to you if they see you catch anything. Jetskis are a constant pain in the rear end too. I prefer fishing off beaches now, find a gutter away from other fishermen, get a nice tuna oil trail going to keep the swimmers and surfers away, and chill the gently caress out.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I thought abrasion resistance was a factor of the line diameter so while the breaking strain of braid for a given diameter is much higher, there is less line for rocks or whatever to wear through so they wear through it quicker.

mastershakeman posted:

Where can I learn about braid, monofilament etc? I don't know why the fishing shop recommended I use that over regular fishing line for kayak trolling.

Might have something to do with the smaller diameter of braid making it less susceptible to getting washed around in the current, or less stretch keeping you in contact with the lure better. I've never done that type of fishing though so I'm just guessing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Some good info from the last few posters.

Holding your rod while trolling with a kayak may be kind of hard though.

No issue if you use a peddle kayak like a Hobie.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm wondering if I can just stuff the rod between my back and life jacket and feel any hits that way!

From what was explained to me, salmon in lake Michigan (clear water) can see the braid easier? I have no issue just putting braid on, as it seems weird to be using a bunch of types of line all tied together.

I use a flurocarbon leader whatever conditions I fish in. Flurocarbon is more abrasion resistant so it helps to have a couple of meters if fishing for sharks or anything else that likes to wrap themselves up in your line, also less chance of a fish wearing through the line on rocks and sand while trying to escape.

It is attached to the main line with an FG knot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

It's a good knot, it is as thin as physically possible so it goes through the guides nice and easy, and I've seen blokes last the entire season without needing to redo it it's that strong and durable.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Use fluorocarbon ahead of mono if you can because fluoro has the same refractive index as water, making it effectively invisible. Fish can still see clear mono, but it is less obvious than braid.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I've been poking around into making more and more of my own gear as I get re-acclimated to fishing and teach myself new methods and concepts as I go. I've been thinking of making some spoons and spinners, and tossing around the idea of hitting up a Goodwill store and buying up a bunch of old silverware like butter knives and spoons, to cut, drill holes in, and use as lures, or flashers. You don't need much in the way of tools, except for a decent pair of split ring pliers for when your thumbnails get torn up. I wish there was one of those penny-smashing machines around here, maybe I can leave a few coins on the tracks and put some holes in them. ;)

I know that you can buy those banana-shaped weights with eyelets on both ends, and paint them up a little and stick a hook on, and catch jetty and rock fish all day long.

Depends on the fish but you can catch some species on nearly anything

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Grab one of the ones you do care for then :shrug:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

There are places that charge you to fish off a pier? :psyduck:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Here the local governments maintain them I think. Maybe some of the money collected from fishing licences goes towards it too but most of the licence money goes towards fish stocking, artificial reefs and improving boat ramps.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Boat ramps should be maintained by boat owners. Classic case of the poor supporting the rich.

I couldn't agree more. Most of the maintenance is actually paid for by ramp fees, but some of the fishing licence money goes there too. Doesn't stop the boaties whinging about money being spent on improving beach access or building reefs that are too shallow for them to reach though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I like kayak fishing but a tandem seems like a great way to get a treble hook up the nose if the person up front isn't careful.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I can't tie it with 10lb fluorocarbon, but 20lb is fine. My surf spinning setup has 16lb YGK braid with 60cm or so of f/c leader tied on with an FG knot. The only time the knot breaks is when I hit a bad snag or the bail arm flips over mid cast.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Would they take a popper off the surface? I like using those around snaggy areas when fishing for redfin but I have no idea about what works for those species.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This has been happening to me more frequently. What's the cause? I haven't changed lure weights or anything recently, so it's just frustrating when it happens because I don't know why.

Could be a number of things. Is it just one reel that is doing it or all of them? If it's just one reel it could be a problem with a spring or locking mechanism or something making the bail arm sensitive to movements. If it's more then one I'd say it is more likely to be your casting action is too jerky or something.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I spent Saturday down at some rocks that have a reputation for being a good early season snapper spot.
We arrived before sunrise which was worth it with the sun coming up over some fog streaming off the cliffs opposite.

It turned into a beautiful day, the wind and tide were right so I floated a fish head out under a balloon (to the right of the pic) in the hope of getting onto something big and toothy but to no avail...

No snapper (or any other decent fish for that matter), we got a couple of undersize blue throat wrasse which are seriously cool looking fish, I pulled in swell shark after swell shark, the irst one was fun for the novelty but they fight like wet carpet, taste like poo poo and are ugly fuckers. One of my baits didn't get a hit for a long time and when I pulled it in to see what was up with it I found a starfish had inhaled the squid strip. A skate at the end of the day was interesting, never caught one of those before. Despite the lack of decent fish it was a top day and I'll probably be back nxt week weather permitting because those snapper are due any day now...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

gamera009 posted:

Point taken.

The wife and I are looking for kayaks for fishing, and I assume I don't need to know how to eskimo roll to use one designed for fishing. Confirm/deny?

Any recommendations for a good one that is easily packable? A lot of the really good small lakes for fishing trout are a decent hike in.

Nah, a fishing kayak will most likely be a sit-on-top. If it rolls over you'll just tip off instead of hanging underneath it and if you have all your hatches sealed it will take on very little water and keep floating.

I don't know how 'packable' you need it to be but with a kayak trolley they are fairly transportable if the terrain isn't too rough.

Make sure you read up on how the different shapes and sizes of kayaks affect things like tracking, turning and stability so you get a kayak that is both safe and practical for your intended use. For instance a long kayak will tend to track better than a short one but probably won't be as maneuverable, which makes it less user friendly on smaller rivers and lakes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

stealie72 posted:

Any of you raise your own bait worms?

I'm thinking about doing it for the nexus of convenience, cheapness, and opportunity for a science project for the kids. I'm getting kind of sick of needing to hit the bait shop every time they want to fish.

It seems like its a pretty low maintenance thing that can easily be done in a 5 gallon bucket in the basement, but i'm wondering if anyone here has tried it and has any advice, even if that advice is "don't bother."

A compost bin in the back yard would probably be all you need to grow your own worms, and you'll get compost for the garden out of it too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Some advice on hooks on lures. When they have two sets of trebels I always remove the mid body one and leave on the tail one. I then clip off one of the three points. I dont seem to miss any more fish than when I dont but I dont tend to snag nearly as much.

I always replace my treble hooks with Decoy jigging singles.Much easier to get out of the fish's mouth and does a lot less damage than a treble. I reckon the hookup rate is better with the single hooks too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I had that issue when I put braid on my Windcast, only to find that it was so thin that 300m of line only came halfway to the lip even with backing mono. I put another 300m on and it casts like a dream. Never going to catch anything capable of peeling 600m+ of line off but whatever.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Probably wouldn't hurt to get the reel serviced to make sure the grease will still do its job. It'd be a shame if it seizes as soon as it is put under strain or something. Some people here use that reel for tournament casting but they do a lot of mods on it first.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

How do outriggers make it worse? You can't roll it. It creates more surface tension. What force is attracted that would make it less stable?

Outriggers mean each wave affects the yak three times as it goes underneath. I've never used them myself but I've been lead to believe they're better suited for stabilising yaks when the center of gravity is high like when you're using a mast or are standing up for some reason rather than providing stability in rough conditions.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I took the kayak out for a fish today, conditions were absolutely mint until a bit after 11 when the wind picked up and it got quite choppy. Lots of undersize flathead (a bit like your lizard fish) and one small snapper.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bunnielab posted:

When surf fishing, what do you do with your rod when trying to dehook and release a fish? The obvious answer is to back up and fight the fish to shore but the specific place I was at has a ton of loose riprap and I wasnt too keen on walking backwards without looking.

As mentioned, PVC is pretty good and cheap. Doesn't need to be fancy, a straight length of pipe is fine without any additions. Just make sure you get it down deep enough or the weight of your rod might tip it over (I've had a couple of reels get a dunking from this). I push the pipe in as far as it will go, then take it out and shake the plug of sand out of it, then push it further into the hole. Do this a couple of times and you'll have a nice, secure rod holder. Mine are about 1m long, I get them in about 40cm deep which leaves your reels high and dry if a set of big waves comes in. They work with both threadline and overhead reels, and can be used on rock if there are crevices to jam them into. I can tape up to 4 pipes together and strap them to my tackle bag if it is a long walk in.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

What are you supposed to do with your rod when the fish jumps out of the water while hooked? I was bringing in a Rainbow trout this Sunday (would have been my second of the day). It jumped a good 2-3 feet out of the water while I was bringing it in. I pulled way up on my rod and when it landed back in the water it wasn't hooked any more :argh:

Did I do something wrong, or was it just unlucky?

Were you using treble hooks? Fish are pretty good a spitting those and I've replaced nearly all mine with Decoy singles. The other trick is to use a 'straight through' lure like a Tassie Devil that can slide up the leader when a fish hits it, stopping the fish from getting any leverage from the lure.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah, it might take a bit of getting used to. I've seen blokes surf spinning with 12' rods and I have no idea how they do it. A stiff 9' or 10' rod is perfect for spinning though, I've got a 902 Catana Nano XG and even with my terrible casting I can punch a 40g lure 70m or so out.

If you're using metal lures try a Sea Iron or a Halco Outcast, those things cast like bullets.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

This made me look twice

I guess they didn't run that past marketing before giving the go ahead.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I took the kayak out yesterday to do a bit of bait collecting. The wind was up which made things a bit tricky, but I did end up with a couple of squid

Launched right on sunrise and tried to troll a couple of HBs but there was a heap of weed in the water and I gave up after a while.

It was a great way to spend the first day after exams, even if the conditions were far from ideal. The kayak handles the rough weather really well, and while I wouldn't intend to push it to it's limits it's reassuring to know that I won't be completely hosed if I get caught out in and unexpected wind change or something. I'd never caught a squid until today so it was good to get that out of the way too. I ate the bigger squid for dinner, the smaller one is bait for Sunday.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It's probably pretty meaningless to US goons but that was at Cleeland Bight. It's the channel between Phillip Island and the mainland, about an hour and a half out of Melbourne.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

We call them leatherjackets because the skin is rough. That one is a Six Spine Leatherjacket, but they can be even more colorful than that.

The smaller ones are prolific bait stealers and the larger ones can destroy your rigs. That fish I caught bit through one of the droppers on my rig without me noticing before getting hooked on the second bait.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I don't fillet them, you just make a cut behind the head, rip the head off (the guts are attached to the head and come out too) and then peel the skin off the back half. Pan fry that with the bones still in it. If the one I caught was about 5cm longer I'd have kept it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah, sharks taste pretty good. You just need to look after them or they'll taste of ammonia. I'm going after some gummy sharks tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a couple of larger ones and fill the freezer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I've always figured that the recreational take of any given fish species is insignificant compared to the commercial harvesting (except for popular sport fishing species) so the fish I take home to eat aren't affecting the species in a meaningful way. For species endangered by fishing I'd say smaller commercial quotas are the first step, and if that isn't effective then stricter bag limits or closed seasons for recreational fishing are the next step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bloody hell, nice fish. Certainly makes my efforts today look pretty insignificant.
Eagle ray. I didn't land it, I can't think of many things I'd like to share the cramped kayak cockpit with less than 15kg of pissed off ray

The aftermath of another decent sized stingray:

Finally got a gummy shark but it was too small to keep, that was caught in a meter of water