Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I use a snell for some stuff and have no problems with braid on my normal knot. I just tried tying a palomar on my spinning rod, so we'll see tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Scott martin's channel on youtube has a ton of well shot and edited videos that are entertaining. Mostly florida/se us specific, but given I live there, it works for me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm planning on adding another baitcasting setup to my fishing setup for throwing jigs, topwaters, frogs, etc. This would be in addition to a mh/xf baitcasting setup for an all arounder and a med light spinning setup for more finesse stuff. All of which gets hauled with me when I fish, unless I know what I'm gonna throw and its doable with one rod.p

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tackle warehouse is running a hell of a sale and is putting the Ark Rods Sniper on sale for $100, a 50% discount. I get paid right before it ends. I may be buying a new rod shortly. :|

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

One dumb sanddab and about 50 crabs. I was out town without my equipment for most of the year.

6 largemouth and one yellow catfish. My favorite fishing spots have been blocked off, had houses built on them or were destroyed by hurricanes in the last couple years. I haven't really had the time or money to look for new ones either, though google maps has shown me a couple nice spots that might be worth picking up a decent set of waders to go check out. And the local fishing pier is finally going to be fixed after Hurricane Hermine. Maybe in 2019 I can do more. :shobon:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 25, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If you've never hooked yourself, you haven't been fishing for long. My favorite is still my dad getting an ear full of hooks after my uncle went too far back on his backswing with a big rear end crankbait. 3-4 people fishing with 7'6"-8' rods in a 16ft boat gets interesting real quick.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I've never hooked myself past a barb but i've been spiked by more rockfish than I can count.

Maybe I'm just bad at this, because I've hooked myself plenty through clothes and a couple times through flesh. If the barb goes into the flesh, I push it back out through the skin and snip off the barb and back it out.

Also, I get stabbed by a spine at least one out of every half dozen catfish I (or whoever I'm with) catch. Fuckers sting like hell.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

This year, I will figure out a decent place for freshwater bank fishing. The river near me is so tannic you can't see your bait more than a foot down. The ponds here are clear as gin, but either have houses around them or need a boat to get to them.

Today was my first time trying the river from a couple of new spots. I snapped off several lures (on 40lb braid no less) on cypress knobs in the first of 3 parks and somehow my only black and blue football jig left my cast wrong and wound up wrapped around the literal top of a tree. I couldn't have hit that shot if I had tried it. :saddowns:

Next stop in a pond next to a lake in the next county over. I will find a good fishing spot drat it. And then buy a kayak to fish it. :argh:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The water was a bit chilly for a moving bait to do much to entice the bass, despite being in the 80s for a few days beforehand. (Horray florida!) And black and blue works wonders in tannic and muddy water from experience. And white. And reds. And junebug. And bright electric blue. Sadly I only had black and blue on me, so away I went. Straight into the top of a loving 30ish foot tall tree.

And if I want catfish, I can go out to the coast and use some shrimp and come home with enough for a fish fry that tastes delicious.

A few of the old timers told me I was better off going a bit farther north for bass, but they also claimed they caught smallmouth there. Afaik, there are no smallmouth naturally in florida, but this river system does have Suwannee bass in it so maybe they meant that. Either way, its been just fun checking out local spots and parks.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A Pack Of Kobolds (and some others) might get a kick out of this, a guy who makes custom plastic lures to sell and for himself. He also does a bunch of how-tos on different colors and styles. Hes also somewhat entertaining which is a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCScpvPNtZxs7gC_lSHXDUcw

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

New rod is in. Its very nice and really light. Like absurdly light. Even compared to a cheaper rod from the same company. And absurdly sensitive. Definitely worth the money I paid, worth it even if it wasn't 50% off.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 7, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Brian Latimer has a good series about the build of his falcon bass boat for the 2019 FLW tour. Its kinda neat to watch. The order they use to build the hull is super neat, along with the fact that it only takes around a week to put it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZUSQbt7aA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtoIiKaJaG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4bHjH88dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFXxuUFxMTU

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 24, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

NavanaSokarad posted:

man i may currently live in texas but am from wisconsin. right now Im itching to go ice fishing and eat me some fresh fish right. stupid real life getting in the way is costing me my winter fishing vacation with the family. All these pictures of panfish and bass is causing my mouth to water and im bout to start crying because i have to wait for spring fishing to get my fresh fish. Oh the pain of this thread!!!! :eng99:

Texas has some of the best largemouth bass fishing short of florida my man. Get you a red craw crankbait, white spinnerbait and a green pumpkin jig and start catching them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Another thing to look for is an area where a bass can get out of the current and just wait for food to roll by. Little cuts off to the side of the river, behind stumps/rocks, etc. Cast further up stream and let your lure drift back if possible. Also, something I've been trying to focus on is casting more parallel to the bank and fishing the natural ledge that often forms in canals and ledges.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Let he who is without backlash try casting a 1/8th ounce jig into the wind.

Speaking of backlash, using a baitcaster with mono/floro is so different than using it with braid. I can cast all day with braided line and the various adjustments backed 80% of the way off. I try that with non braided line and backlash like a mofo. Practicing with a weightless 5" fluke in the backyard is helping, but it would help more if it wasn't gusting randomly to 20mph when I have off from work..

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been able to tie an oddball version of a cinch knot that usually snaps line before it pulls through, so unless I'm using a snell for soft plastic fun times, I just tie it. Even on heavy braid, I can drag a stump back to the boat before it breaks. I've learned to tie a palomar knot to try it, but theres just not enough difference in movement in something like a jig to really justify tying it most of the time.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sooooo, while cleaning out my closet I found an Orvis fly rod case. Which means the fly rod hanging in the rafters in my shed that I've never looked at might be an Orvis. It would likely be a 70's/80's model that has sat in that shed for around 30 years untouched. Is it worth dragging it down to sell? I'm not really in a place where fly fishing is A THING, otherwise I'd give it a shot.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Italy would be fun to fish. Its home to Black Flagg plastics which I've been wanting to try, but next to no places in the US sell them. Like 3 shops that I've found and all they do is drop ship. Given my experience with anything Italian in cars, I expect it to work beautifully, then fall apart and somehow catch fire after a single fish.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How is chain pickerel to eat? I tend to only eat saltwater fish with the exception of catfish, and even then I'm picky.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been skunked more times freshwater fishing than I ever was saltwater fishing. Granted, while in freshwater I tend to use artificial lures and while in salt I mostly used cut bait or live bait which most likely accounts for some of that difference. But both fresh and salt water have their own unique challenges that can make catching something difficult. But thats the fun in this sport. Or at least I think so.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I used a wire leader for extra abrasion resistance fishing rocks and oyster beds. 4 strand 65lb braid can only do so much. It also came in handy when dealing with sharks.

In other fishing news, I didn't skunk out today!

A 1 1/2-2lb bass smacked the poo poo outta my keitech a few casts before this and I had an excellent view of the strike, so I went to set the hook as soon as I saw him eat the bait and felt the rod load up. I was greeted with the sound of my drag slipping because it had backed off at some point and I hadn't checked it. He spit the bait and I couldn't get it rerigged and in the water again before he went off to munch on something else. 2 casts later this little turd smacked it. I definitely had quite a few bites, but most were pissed off bluegill and sunfish that were getting territorial with the perch pattern on the 4" swing impact. Still a good few hours before it got too hot.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The only time I had to go to the E.R. for having a hook extremely deep in my finger, I wound up teaching the doctor a much less invasive way to remove the hook than A) just ripping it back out like some of the other doctors or B) slicing the entire side of my finger open to remove the hook like he preferred to do. I had him numb the finger, then make a very small incision where the dulled tip of the hook was having trouble coming through the skin, then snip the end of the hook off and back it out with minimal damage to my various meaty fingat bits.

When I told him to snip the barb off he looked at me like I had 2 heads.
:saddowns: "How the hell am I supposed to do that?"
:v: "Call maintenance and ask for a pain of wire snips. I guarantee you that they have a pair."
:saddowns: "But its not sterile."
:v: "Dude, we're in a hospital. I'm sure you can find the stuff to sterilize a pair of wire cutters."
:saddowns: "Oh. Uh, Good point"

The nurse was very visibly having a hard time not busting out laughing at the situation of the patient schooling a doctor on how best to do the thing the patient came to the hospital to have done.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You sure it wasn't you that had the fishing rod in his head with that posting? :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd try slow rolling a small paddle tail like a keitech 4" swing impact around in whatever color matches the bait in your area if you want an artificial. Or slap some fukkin squid on a circle hook and chuck it out there. I've never gone wrong with squid, even if I personally prefer shrimp as my bait of choice.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Surgical pliers also are awesome for pulling hooks out of stuff. Also, bring a cheap hat and polarized sun glasses. They help keep the sun off your eyes and let you see in the water!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Outside of chewed up plastics, I think I've lost maybe $20 in tackle all year... Horray for fishing with braided line and never having wood to fish I guess. :haw:

Also, those 2 paddle tails look pretty nice. That big tail swinging back and forth making a big thump thump underwater should get some attention.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've used a version of a clinch knot since my dad taught me about 20 years ago and once you get them down well, you have to try hard to get it to come undone. Its a good basic knot to tie. A palomar is also a great knot, but I don't have much practice tying it and therefore don't have much confidence in it personally. Find one you like and practice the hell out of it.

Also, as for catching seaweed, thats not necessarily a bad thing. If there is one rule of fishing no matter where you are doing it, its that fish loving love cover. Rocks, vegetation, stumps, bridge pilings, etc. If they can hide next to it and think they're safe, they will. It also makes a great ambush spot for eating other fish. Next time, try focusing on the areas just at the edge of the seaweed. It'll be thinner there, plus if there is a fish hiding in the weeds to ambush his dinner or patrolling looking for bait hiding in the weeds, he'll be much more down to eat your lure.

Another thing that can help is varying your retrieve. Change your retrieve speed during the retrieve, pause occasionally, etc. Sometimes that change will trigger that instinct to strike.

And I don't know if the guy at the shop told you, but with what you are fishing with, you'll need to set the hook. Don't just keep reeling towards you if you feel a thump through the rod. Lift the rod up and back while reeling quickly to dig the hook into the fish's mouth. Set it harder for the swimming baits that have a single hook, set it easier for the lures that have the treble (the 3 hooks in one) hook.

Lastly, don't get discouraged. I've been a couple dozen times this year trying to figure out what exactly the freshwater fish in this area will respond to after years of only saltwater fishing. I only have half a dozen dinky bass to show for it, but I'm starting to get a handle on it and am learning what they want and how they want it presented. If it was easy, they'd just call it catchin'.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I think when I get home I'll make a video on tying the cinch knot my dad taught me that he learned from a sunday morning fishing show in the 80s. That's a knot hes been tying for 40ish years with very few issues.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Welp, I recorded a video on my potato phone. Youtube is being a cock and won't let me upload it though.

Edit: I suppose I'll try explaining it in lieu of a video.

1) Pass the line through the eye of your hook or lure
2) Slide the lure or hook down so your tag end is about 6 inches long
3) Pinch both the tag end and the main line in your off hand about 2 inches above the hook/lure
4) Make a loop with the tag end pointing back down toward the lure
5) Wrap the loose tag end around the main and tag lines 7 times moving back toward the lure
6) Put the loose tag end through the loop
7) Hold the tag end and the main line in your off hand while holding the lure with your main hand
8) Pull your hands away from each other to shrink the knot (wet beforehand if needed)
9) Let go of the tag end
10) While holding the main line with your off hand and the hook/line in you main hand, pull away from each other. This should slide the knot down to the lure and cinch it down tight.
11) Trim tag end at 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch

Edit: Well that was annoying. Its up now. I was too lazy to get out of bed, so its recorded on there. Enjoy. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcnPtwczmAk

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 17, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Most rods for catching bass/catfish would destroy a delicate fish like a trout. And also have trouble casting trout lures. However a light spinning setup for doing trout fishing could probably do some good finesse work for bass.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have a fancy rear end version of the crush/mach rods that Lews gives away along with a crush baitcaster. The rod is definitely nice and sensitive, plus after some slight cleaning and adjusting the reel feels as solid as my other setups. I liked it enough that was strongly considering one of the Lews combos for my next spinning setup, but was concerned how about how easily I could pass a leader knot (even the FG or Alberto I've been using) through that first guide by reel. The sensitivity and good drag are worth the money in a spinning setup. I've had ugly sticks before and they aren't bad in the slightest, but there are better options out there.

As for the reel, spinning reels are usually a strong step up in quality from your basic zebco type push button spincaster. The biggest differences will come in with the smoother drag, longer casting and increased reliability with the spinning reel.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The main difference between the two rods is going to be the material its made of, IM6 with the Mach 2 vs IM8 on the Crush. IM8 will be a stronger and more sensative material. The bearings in the crush reel will also be a bit nicer. I think on the baitcasters the crush has 20lbs of drag vs 15lbs on the Mach 2, but I'm not sure if that carries to the spinning reels. Honestly, theres nothing wrong with using the spinning reel over the baitcaster if you're more comfortable with it. The rod on the spinning combo should be a medium/fast and the baitcasting rod will be a medium heavy/fast, but it does have more taper to it than a normal fast action rod.

Basically, everything is a bit better if you spring for the crush, but the mach 2 is good too.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A baitcaster gives you a lot more fine tuning through adjusting the spool tension and magnetic braking, but has issues throwing lures under 3/8 oz (for me at least) and trouble throwing into the wind. You also have to accept the fact that you're going to backlash at first. Alot. And you'll still backlash occasionally when you've been using them for years.

As for reliability, I used my crush reel to go flipping and pitching grass mats with a 1 1/2oz weight all day for 3 days in Okeechobee. I started having an issue with the drag sliding easily even when the drag was cranked down and there too much slop in the handle shaft, but taking it off and cleaning the washers, etc under the handle and re-tightening the handle nut fixed it. I haven't had any issues since then, but there was a bunch of sludge in there from that trip.

For comparisons sake, every spinning reel I've owned has taken all the abuse I could throw at it including salt water usage without being washed off with no issues. Its also what I hand someone that hasn't used a baitcaster before or been fishing in a while because it will be way easier for them to operate. And I can fish without hearing the stream of profanity from their mouth because they backlashed yet again.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 18, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Go fishing before that. Find a pond, cast, catch fish.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Well try and catch a fish that is. I tried to go today and got chased off by a thunderstorm after 45 minutes. All I managed to hook was a pine tree despite seeing tons of baitfish swimming around and fish rolling in a local pond. At the point I started seeing lightning, I decided holding a 7' graphite stick wasn't the smartest idea and packed up. Instead I spent the day looking at spinning rods to upgrade from my 6 year old veritas. It would help if I wasn't a picky rear end in a top hat who also hated cork grips.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 19, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What kind of lure/hook are you using? Making sure its a good match to your rod/line will help make sure that once you set the hook you keep it pinned until you get that green rear end in a top hat all the way back to you. They will 100% spit the lure/hook if you don't get it set good. Bass are assholes like that.

And just remember, there is no replacement for practice and it takes patience. Don't get discouraged, keep at it and most importantly, have fun. :glomp:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, with both of those options you're going to have to set the hook and then keep that rod tip up to keep that hook pinned or the bass will get leverage on the hook and spit it every damned time. It sounds like you're on the right track though. You should be able to set the hook as hard as the line will allow for, so have at. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Not at all. They use the braid because its an even thinner diameter than the floro, but plenty of people use straight floro.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Floro is stiffer, floro leader is definitely stiffer. But even with 20lb you can tie a knot easily enough.

Edit: And good floro is basically 1:1 pricewise with good braid. Midrange braid will be a bit cheaper. I'd just go with what works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hooplah posted:

The only big advantage of fluoro over normal mono is the refractive index, so there's nothing to really justify the 2-5x price to spool up the whole reel with it.

If you don't care about the cost, knock yourself out. If you're willing to spend, though, you might as well get braid and tie on a fluoro leader.

There are other reasons to use straight floro. Where mono and braid will float, floro sinks which can help you tune exactly how fast you want a bait to fall or how deep you want it to run. The other big difference is that mono will have alot more stretch to it vs braid or floro. This means that braid and floro will transmit more sensation up to the rod, but mono will better absorb fish doing stuff like shaking their head, making it easier to keep them hook once you do get one on.