Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Hello, Fishing Thread.

Last week, my nephew dropped off the rod and reel combo I lent him a few months ago. He'd been tearing up lunker largemouth in South Carolina all summer with it and was kind enough to show me pictures of his fish. More recently, my younger brother returned my surf rig he borrowed for his trip to North Carolina where he was on the bluefish pretty good. A friend a little west of me goes trout fishing in the mountain streams and posts his catch on Facebook constantly.

It's been a busy year and I didn't make it out to the water nearly as much as I'd like. Today, while putting my gear to bed for the winter, I find this thread with all the pictures, stories and equipment talk. To the anglers in this thread, my nephew, my brother, friend out west: I hate you. Nothing personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Rinse the reel and line of salt? You'll hate them much more when you pull that rod and reel out in 9 months and they're corroded to poo poo.

I've had the same surf combo since I was twelve and it is pristine. I am just filled with jealousy about how much fishing other people have done and all I've managed is a handful of forays to the small pond near my house. My fault, really. I'll just make a concerted effort to set aside time for it when the weather warms up again. When the shad are running in March, I will be ready.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Rotten Cookies posted:

These jerks. Google is telling me they're different than bloodworms? But similar. They're both biting fucks.

Hellgrammite, maybe? Some fly larva monstrosity that'll grab the fish for you. If you ask nice.

Weather's warming up. Checking this thread to get in the mood.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

hagie posted:

I was going to go out in my Sea Ghost tomorrow and fish a local lake to get some of that spawn action.

Death in the family changed that. I am having no luck getting out right now.

Sorry for your loss.

I used to have a canoe, but I am fortunate enough to get some decent fishing in from the shore or wading within walking distance from my house (if you don't mind the poison ivy and occasional bee sting). Shad and stripers in spring, catfish in summer and bass/panfish year round.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Took a canoe trip last week down the Shenandoah in Virginia and caught more smallmouth than I ever had in my life. Nothing big (nine or ten inches), but I was using an ultralight set up so it was tons of fun. There was a stretch where the fish hit my spinner the second it touched the water. I did see one fat fellow longer than my forearm, but he ignored our offerings.

You don't get that big by being stupid.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Throw bigger lures. Expending energy to eat one big meal is better than constantly chasing after small stuff.

I usually cram every conceivable doo-dad in a tackle box, but not this time. Just some light spinners and spoons. I am shamed.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
After my vacation on the Outer Banks was canceled due to an idiot with a pile driver, we went Plan B on the Chesapeake Bay. Caught some cow nose rays and fed the crabs. Hooray.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Took a weekend fishing trip to Carolina's Outer Banks and got skunked. Surf fishing in high winds and heavy surf without a rig designed to throw six ounces of weight is tough. I tried my damnedest with what I had and watched my tackle fly majestically away as my line snapped a few times while casting. Spanish mackerel were hitting hard the day before we arrived and puppy drum took their turn the day after we left.

I hate fishing.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

stealie72 posted:

I'm in the Midwest so I'm all lakes and rivers and know nothing about the salt, but is surf fishing usually successful?

It depends. To better your odds it helps to be able to read the beach - note the small rips in the surf, figure out where the depth changes are, what food is around and where, etc. It's always changing. Eventually a school of something is going to come by and they are generally hungry so the action gets fast. So you set up your chair, shade tent if you have one and drink some beer until it happens. Good way to kill time. Unless of course the surf is six feet, the water is all churn and a steady 25 mph wind is sandblasting your skin.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Took some gear out for a test run and caught a 15" largemouth. Hit like a guppy and fought like wet underwear. Panfish on light tackle are more fun. Still, first catch of the year.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

As long as I catch a fish it was worth the trip.

Even if it’s only a 6” mangrove snapper or a freaking pin fish, it was worth it.

Pin fish can loving suck it. Rays are worse, though. They trick me into thinking I've got something good for a few seconds, swallow the hook and then try to stab you.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Push him off the pier. Then find his dad and push him off too.

That's just leaving protein on the table.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Last week I was fishing the Chesapeake Bay. After a 60 yard wade from the house, I worked a boat channel with cut squid and caught flounder, bluefish, croaker and my first toadfish (also the mandatory pinfish and skate). After getting skunked fishing saltwater the last few trips I was loving due.

Improved clinch knot ftw.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

King of Bees posted:

Will do. All my surfer friends have been taking days off work and poo poo to go out. Might have to really plus up on the weight. Can usually get away with four ounces of lead.

I draw the line at casting more than four ounces. My brother has an eight and bait rig, but that's too much like exercise for me.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok I guess I need your youtube recommendations so I can learn how to cast a spinning reel. I used to do it as a kid, but I bought a new rod and reel today, got new line put on at the store, and then went out and cast the line into knots until I got sick of untying them and went home.

I remembered it being you hold the line to the rod with your right index finger, flip open the bail with your left, and cast, releasing the line as you bring the rod forward. I'm clearly loving something up, though.

Trite but, seriously, practice practice practice. After a long break from baitcasting it took me over a year to get as proficient with bait casters as an adult as I was when I was barely 10.

But, for shits and grins, maybe you are releasing your index finger too late in the cast. Or too early.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Went fishing on Father's Day and got skunked. Again. However, no matter how many times I got snagged on the dock pilings, my improved clinch knot never failed.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Welp they shut down fishing until May 4rth. People are losing their goddamn minds. I would think the easiest way to deal with this is to only allow fishing in your county of residence so people can’t all dog pile West Port or the like. But nah. Shut it all down and guarantee the acrimony of 95% of fishermen.

I wonder what one season or even a few weeks of no pressure will do for fishing. Those fish will be dumb as hell when it opens back up.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Went bank fishing in a downpour and broke off on a rock and a tree. Still, went fishing.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Used a new knot -- the Rapala knot. Did not break before the line when I snagged a log. Two redbreasted sunfish and lots of bumps.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Elmnt80 posted:

I got my first blow-up on a topwater today and was so surprised and excited that I completely forgot to set the hook.

I've never had a blow up, just swirls after I rest motion and I'm like, "Where's my lure?" And then my lizard brain kicks in.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Weather's warming up so I'm hoping to get some catfishing in soon. Hard to find chicken livers at the moment though.

I found a nice spot on the river a few years ago where you were guaranteed three or four between two and four pounds. Channel or blues, I didn't know how to tell the difference until recently. I took my brother there once and he caught a monster (for us anyway). We didn't have a scale, but it was a little over 36" and fat.

If I can't find bait, I'm going to explore new locations this weekend because my current one is a lot of walking, rock hopping and a little swimming.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

King of Bees posted:

Have you tried a chunk of the cheapest hot dog you can find (for catfish bait)?

I really hadn't considered it before for snobbish reasons. Which is weird because rummaging through my wife's drawers looking for old hose and cursing myself for failing to stain the livers with Kool-aid AGAIN are not A River Runs Through It material.

I'll give them a go.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

King of Bees posted:

Custom hand tied hot dog flies

So good.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Struck out with the bespoke hotdog fly. Probably because I used goose instead of chicken feather. Also struck out with Rapala plugs and inline spinners. Wrong time of day and I got spooked from good spots because of the number of people out.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Elmnt80 posted:

If its a baitcaster, they may also be pulling out their backlash from a lovely cast. As an expert fisherman I never have to do this because all of my casts are perfect.

I also have never done this. But in the hypothetical that should I ever do this, it would be comforting to know witnesses might think I am doing something skillful.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Skunked two days in a row in a small lake stocked with rainbows and channel cat. Though I think the trout were long gone, you never know, right? Wife is taking the kids to Topsail, NC for a long moms and kids weekend. I'll keep the thread posted about what I didn't catch over the next four days.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Why not go fish there? The blues are picking up.

It's a moms and kids thing. The hubbies are being left behind. I'll be spending the next four days hitting the park lakes around town. I wanted to wade fish but the river is in flood.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Where are you at? I know a lot of good water in this state.

Richmond, VA.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

atlas barfed posted:

I'm not great at fishing, but I've never had any luck at the two DGIF stocked ponds here unless I've gone within three days of them being stocked. What kind of fish are you after? I've fished a lot of the public lakes and parks north of the river.

I'm after anything that's not a panfish. I can catch those all day long. Yesterday I went to Dorey Park which has a pond they stock with trout and channel cats. There's also a pier. I was the only one there so I got to put three lines in the water with cut bait going for catfish. I did catch a 16" largemouth, but it was really skinny. Other than the bait I caught that was my only fish.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

atlas barfed posted:

I can only comment for bass fishing, but I've only fished Dorey a couple times and never had much luck. I like both Echo Lake and Three Lakes parks for bass, Echo because I generally have good luck and think the scenery is nice, and Three Lakes has pretty nice sized bass and pickerel. Both parks have much less access from the bank than Dorey though. I don't have any experience with catfish though, but both should be stocked. Feel to reply or PM me if you want any specific advice on fishing them.

I forgot about Echo Lake. Going to check that out this summer. My brother and I are heading out today to Dutch Gap trying for big catfish. I don't often target catfish, but catching a big one is one of my goals this year. Next is gar. I hear they are skittish but I've nearly been run into by one wade fishing in shallow water a couple of times.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Good results on chicken breast with garlic. Didn't get the big one yesterday, but managed a 4lb channel and a small blue catfish. Also two little stripers. And a turtle. I outfished my brother, which is an event because he's the kind of turd who can catch a tarpon in a Nebraska drainage ditch.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Went back to the catfish spot and it produced some 4 and 5 lb fish. I've checked the tide schedule and I'm taking the kids on Monday. There will be a little beach and they are going to poop their pants when they catch a "big" fish. So far it's been panfish and small bass for them.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
My kids caught a mess of catfish the other day (still no Big One) and look forward to doing it again. I'll teach them more about caring for the fish and the environment (there was a bunch of trash there so we'll bring some trash bags).

This is a good thread. Thank you.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
They can take away my forums, but they can never take my improved clinch knot. Or carolina rig.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Green light for a week on Smith Mountain Lake. If I'm lucky there will be a boat involved. If not, I've had success from the bank going after lmb and little stripers.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

titties posted:

Same except inline spinners

Never caught a thing with a hula popper. But I still use them because they're fun.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
The only times I've caught river trout is with inline spinners. And what people said already - they are deadly to smallmouth.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
If I've mutilated a fish removing a barbed hook I usually pack it in for the day. Haven't gone completely barbless yet (could lose The Big One!) but I'm getting there. Old habits.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Smith Mt. Lake fishing report. Is it just me or do boat wakes trigger catfish to bite? Doing well but no Big One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Prespooled line has been sitting on the reel for at least a couple months, so it has a lot of memory that makes it hard to cast. You absolutely want to spool your own line. Just tie it around the reel in any way you can, and crank the reel until it fills up. Only go about half-way to avoid issues when you cast. If you completely fill a reel, the line can slip off the face of the reel and really screw with you when you try to cast.

Wish I had done that bit last night. I pack as much line as possible on a reel because I think it lets me get better distance. Which is probably wrong. So night fishing with beers and what you referred to happened. I was having bad luck and tipsy so I took it out on the bail of my shimano light spinning reel. RIP you fucker.

Taking the day off from fishing for my mental health.