Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

The Navionics app in iTunes is only $10 for the US or $15 for US and Canada.
I just looked on the Android market, and it's the same prices for the phone version.

The HD tablet version, however, is $35 :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

There is some variance on the rules, however, which is why it's doubly important to find out for yourself. For instance:

coyo7e posted:

2. Live fish may not be used or held for use as bait, except live nongame fish may be used in the ocean, bays and tidewaters when taken from the waterbody in which they will be used.
6. Live leeches may not be used as bait or in angler’s possession while angling.
Both of these are legal in Wisconsin. Hell, bait shops keep the leeches right next to the tins of worms.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

I have found that stopping the spin with my thumb JUST before it hits the water usually keeps it from getting all messed up.
Pretty much any baitcaster that isn't $500+ is going to need your thumb to control the speed of the spool while casting and then to stop the spool right before/at the same time as/slightly after the lure/bait hit the surface of the water. I'm not very good at doing either, although it's definitely easier on my "nice" baitcaster than my "cheap" baitcaster.

If anyone is shopping for a baitcaster, a helpful feature is having a removable spool. Both of my reels have a side plate that comes off and the spool comes out; it takes half the time to fix a spoof when the spool comes out.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Kilersquirrel posted:

take my baits god drat it!
Nomination for new thread title.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Kid Golbez posted:

Jacks ate live cigs
I'm picturing someone taking a last drag, looking at the still-lit butt, and saying, "This oughtta be good for sumptin'", putting it on a hook, and throwing it in the water.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

bunnielab posted:

Given my ability to catch only the smallest of fish, I have decided to start recording them to see what the smallest I can get is.

I hereby claim the title of "Smallest fish caught on a hook, SA Fishing Thread 2014". Please sent my trophy along asap.
Somewhere I have a picture of a ~3" bass that I caught on a ~2" long crankbait a few years ago.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I've had a rod explode in my hands while catching a fish once. All the rest of the rods that I've :ughh: have snapped while leaning over the rail of a pontoon boat pulling into dock at my buddies' cabin.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I did have a question though. I've been trying to catch stuff here in the local marina without much luck. Most of the guys down there fish with rigs that look like this:
Do you mean something like crappie rigs? I use something like that when I'm fishing for yellow perch, although I usually use ones that I made rather than the store-bought ones.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

stealie72 posted:

All of this surf fishing talk has me wondering: is it possible to surf fish freshwater? I'm assuming freshwater fish behave quite differently and don't come close to the beach, but there are some places on Lake Erie that resemble Long Island or Cape Cod on a windy day.
It's not exactly surf fishing, but I see people shore fishing off of breakwaters and jetties for salmon and trout (and maybe yellow perch, too) on Lake Michigan all the time.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

ElZilcho posted:

it doesn't reely matter that much
:rimshot:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

bunnielab posted:

Other then making a big rear end PVC tube, anyone have a clever way to pack a rod and reel that can survive shipping?
A two-piece rod and a poster tube.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Slugworth posted:

That was fast, thanks. And of that list, sheepshead is the only one I have heard around here.
Generally I've heard them called drum when they're in Green Bay/ Lake Michigan and sheephead when in inland lakes & rivers.

From Fish of Wisconsin Field Guide:

quote:

Other Names: sheepshead, croaker, thunderpumper, grinder, bubbler (commercially marketed as white perch)

Notes: Drum are named for the grunting or rumbling noise made by males, primarily to attract females; the sound is produced by specialized muscles rubbed along the swim bladder.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Some of the battles are lost (carp), but some still have hope (snakeheads, catfish, bass).
If Asian Carp get into Lake Michigan then that battle will be lost, but I'm holding out hope! :unsmith:

*goes walleye and perch fishing, catches nothing but Round Goby* :smith:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

DoctaFun posted:

Not necessarily fishing news, but fishing related.
You should post this in the Mechanical Failures thread.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

There is some shop in western Maryland that has a guide on staff who is huge into tenkara and I might take a class/guided trip with him at some point this fall.
A guest on Cool Tools talked about Tenkara a little bit a few weeks ago, and it looks really interesting. Unfortunately, I don't do much stream/river fishing, mostly lakes, but for bluegill fishing it looks like it could be a blast.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

The tfr hunting thread is fine and so long as there is unfrozen water, one can fish.
And when water freezes over sufficiently, one can fish there as well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrZIA8dSzsQ

Here is a cool video this guy did about largemouth bass.
This is an excellent video and should be watched by anyone who fishes for bass.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

hamsystem posted:

Ultralights are fun on a bun and everyone should have at least one rig.
:agreed:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Bangkero posted:

Heads up - Free fishing in Ontario this whole week (July 1-9).

http://www.ontariofamilyfishing.com/

Take advantage and get your friends, family, lovers, or frenemies into fishing!
Too bad I just came back from fishing Eagle Lake in Ontario for a week last Friday, could have saved myself a few bucks. Anyway, the fishing was pretty good, and I caught a 24" and 25" Northern on consecutive days in pretty much the same spot. Also, the other guy in my boat was about two feet away from catching a decent sized Muskie, thanks to the stupid short-handled lodge-provided net in our boat :argh:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Any tips on how to entice these surface breakers?
I'm by no means an expert fisherman, but if the bass are picking bugs off the surface the first lure I'm reaching for is probably a surface popper or possibly a topwater crankbait.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

charliebravo77 posted:

First fish ever on a fly, 100 yards from the continental divide.
Neat!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

DoctaFun posted:

I’m just about to book a week in Ontario for the wife and I to go fishing. I couldn’t be more excited, we will be up near Red Lake.

It will be her first trip to Canada and my first trip up there in probably ten years. Hoping we can take our older son next year and make it a yearly occurrence.

We will mainly be fishing walleye/northern pike, July can’t come soon enough!
Some friends and I are going up to Eagle Lake at the end of June. We had a blast last year, hopefully one (or more!) of us comes up with a muskie this time!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

DoctaFun posted:

Made a quick little map to show where I was talking about. I know some folks are die hard fish 24/7 on their fishing trips, but if you're up for a little break and a neat adventure, it's a pretty fun drive on the tiller through the creek here! I'd ask lodge owners if it's still navigable though(if you are even staying anywhere near this part of the lake).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eu5K_8DY26dRxtmSGJKecJFmziLz_6zU&usp=sharing
I was writing a reply to your earlier post when you posted this, so I'll put it here.

We're staying around Waldhof Bay (I don't know exactly where), so it wouldn't be that far to go to Clearwater Lake if we wanted (the creek to Bottle Bay Lake was cleared out the week we were there last year, so I'm guessing some of the lodges are taking care of those little access waterways). We're bringing some kayaks, too, so... hmmm...

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Here, have 47.5 inches of muskellunge.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Planet X posted:

Tell us more. I want to get one of these in the upper potomac at some point.
That was actually the fourth muskie that I had attracted so far: the first two I had follow my lure, but I lost them due to poor turns at the boat*, the third I finally made a good turn and hooked it boatside, but lost it (I let too much line pay out and the fish was about 6 inches too far away to net when it threw the hook); and the fourth was almost textbook**. The best part is that the three other guys I'm fishing with this week haven't seen a muskie yet :unsmigghh:

We have one more full day with the guide later this week, so here's hoping I catch another one!

* Our guide has his clients crank in the bait, and then make a circle at the side of the boat. Literally stick the tip of the rod in the water and make a 3-4 foot diameter counterclockwise oval dragging the lure. The guide estimates that 70-80% of strikes are while making the turn, and I was 4 for 4 on having fish approach my lure at the boat while turning.

**Narrator Voice: It wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Elmnt80 posted:

I've always used a regular cinch knot or a snell knot for lines and never had a problem. I've hauled up literal boulders after getting snagged on them when fishing with heavy braid before, so I've never seen the necessity of switching to a palomar knot or even an improved cinch knot. Is it worth actually learning how to tie those knots and using them regularly for me?
The only real advantages the Palomar knot has is that it

1. is easier to tie than most other knots
  2. holds when tied with braided line, unlike most other knots

and that's about it.