Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Just have to throw out a recommendation for any anglers who may be close enough to justify the trip... Glendalough State Park (more specifically, Annie Battle Lake) in NW Minnesota just produced for me some of the best fishing of my life. Caught my personal record bluegill (12oz, which isn't saying much... but I don't fish them often, so there you go.) and had a blast doing it.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/glendalough/index.html

Beautiful lake with no houses (other than a guest house that the DNR keeps) on it, which is a rarity in the area. No motors (gas OR electric), or electronics allowed on the lake. I personally spent most of my time flyfishing in the stream that leads out of the lake (currently under some bridge construction, but you can just hop off the temporary foot bridge and wade downstream for quite a ways.) The babby sunnies were curious to the point of biting at my toes. :3: The bigger ones were even more curious about my choice of fly (I mostly used poppers.)

The camping was less than idea due to the heat we've been having, but the beach is just as beautiful as the rest of the lake. I will definitely be spending more time there in the future.

Now that I've got the fever, I have to ask, does anyone have any recommendations for brands of fly rods? I'm a beginner at the sport, so I'd like to avoid something pricey at the moment. Something around a 4 or 5 weight, 2-piece would be ideal. I'd mostly be fishing on lakes, but it would be nice to get a rod that was capable of maneuvering in tighter streams, since that's what is mostly available for moving water around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

I am not a book posted:

It's been years since I've fished and I don't remember anything, but the couple times that my wife and I went last year were a blast for both of us so I'm looking for some tips:
We've got a lake full of panfish that's about 30 feet at the deepest but around the edges is anywhere from 1 foot to 5 feet, with some stands of weeds and downed trees. My wife loves catching bluegills, what should we do in order to get good sized ones? Most of the ones that bite are tiny and we end up throwing them back.

If it's warm and they're in the shallow water close to shore, I'd highly recommend a telescopic cane pole. I rig mine with 15 pound test braid, a #4 hook, split shot, and a leech. Usually the best results I get are when dipping it in between openings in reed beds. With a 12+ foot fixed-line rod, fighting a 2 pound bass who has all the mechanical advantage in the world is really fun, and I've gotten some 1lb+ bluegill that way. If you don't have access to a boat and the ability to hop between reed beds, though, I'd say follow the other posters' advice on using small jigs from a spinning setup.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
So I've been fishing from shore for close to 25 years and recently moved to an area where I know no spots... it seems a boat is in my future. The only problem is boats are real expensive and I am a poor and also have no hitch-capable towing vehicle. This pretty much limits me to inflatables or canoes and kayaks that I can haul on top of a car.

I'd really prefer something I could stand in, since that makes sight fishing easier, as well as distance and fly casting. Anyone have experience with a stand up capable canoe or kayak setup? I was considering the meyers/Radisson sportspal series but they are hard to find in my area.... closest dealer is 300 miles away.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Rythe posted:

What's your budget like? I can stand in my Hobie Outback, but that is usually with a stake out pole, a super calm day and lots of practice.

1500 would be the absolute upper limit for the boat + basic accessories (life jackets, paddles)... I can accumulate extra stuff like depth finders / trolling motors afterwards. I realize that eliminates the possibility of getting the cool hands free propulsion boats, which kinda makes me sad, but i'll get over it.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Usually use dry flies and poppers while fly fishing, but I tried a bead head wooly bugger with a strike indicator yesterday... my god that's a fun way to fish. Caught a few 1-2 pound largemouth and some decent hybrid sunnies and had a blast in one of the few 10+ foot water clarity lakes in my area. With about a 7 foot leader from where the indicator was to the fly, I could watch the fish come up from the deep submerged weed bed and strike. I don't know if I'll be able to go back to spinning setup and bobber fishing after that.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

WTF BEES posted:

I've always wanted to live on/have access to water with yellow perch. They're like super pretty mini walleye!

A lot of the perch in my area are covered in little black spots... I've always assumed they were some kind of parasite but have no idea why the other fish wouldn't also have them. Anyone else find perch like that? I have never kept any to eat because I have been terrified of aliens busting out of my chest or something.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Oh yeah, that's totally it. Thanks!

"Safe to eat if cooked well" = I'm still not going to eat any with spots now that I've found out it is totally a parasite. How close is the taste between perch and walleye, anyways? Pretty much indistinguishable?

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Going for some fall walleye action in a couple weeks here in northwest MN. I'm thinking using a slip weight and a floating jig with a night crawler or fathead on the end, and if that doesn't work give the crank baits a shot. Anyone have experience with that area? I could use some advice since I haven't fished for walleye from a boat in many many years.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

DoctaFun posted:

What lake are you fishing at? It's unlikely I've fished it, but I can take a look at the lake map and see if any areas stand out.

I'd say troll stickbaits at night/dusk on shallow weed edges. The slip weight rig should work well too, you should be able to cover some water too.

Otter tail lake is the main one, but I think I'm going to try some other nearby lakes from shore.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Can anyone help me find the name of a lure? My attempts at googling have failed and I'm looking for a specific ice fishing jig. The style is close to this:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...33345/cat101073

I think they had a Scandinavian brand name, painted-on eyes, and I remember them being sold in packs of two.

Sorry I don't have any more to go on, but I couldn't find them around here anymore and I had really good luck using them tipped with a wax worm about 10 years ago.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How deep does the water have to be for ice fishing?

I usually find myself at around 7-10 feet in submerged weed beds for pan fish in smaller lakes. When it's decent clarity you can watch them approach the bait if you look down the hole which I really like doing.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

DoctaFun posted:

Are you thinking of Skandia jigs? Those are pretty awesome, come in a nice little package with a polar bear picture on it?

Or theres Fiska Wolfram jigs. Both are good tungsten ice jigs, the clam ones are okay, but I've had multiple break on me now :(.

I found them! Marmooska is the line. http://htent.com/catalog/inventory.php?fam=120&cat=85

Drove me nuts for a week trying to find them. 14+ inches of ice on a few lakes here now so I need to get my rear end in gear.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

DoctaFun posted:

Ahhh the marmooska! I have some of those, I had a couple bad joys though where the hook separated from the tungsten so I stopped buying them :(.

Where are you located?

I'll have to post a picture later, caught a nice walleye just the other day through the ice.

In central MN. Not close enough to my favorite lakes in the northwest unfortunately.

Do you use an underwater camera at all? I can't really afford any new gear but was considering rigging up an older smart phone on a line or something and giving that a shot. Seeing fish underwater is pretty much my favorite part of ice fishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Got skunked with senkos and caught my personal best largemouth on a quarter ounce white fuzz e grub on 6 pound mono with an ultralight rig. I just do not understand fishing it would seem.