Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's a cool looking trigger! All I've ever seen down here (South Florida) is the bland, grey ones that annoyingly steal your bait on the drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

gay picnic defence posted:

We call them leatherjackets because the skin is rough. That one is a Six Spine Leatherjacket, but they can be even more colorful than that.

The smaller ones are prolific bait stealers and the larger ones can destroy your rigs. That fish I caught bit through one of the droppers on my rig without me noticing before getting hooked on the second bait.

Very neat. The ones down here are surprisingly aggressive. I had one small 8" one try to eat my 6 oz. vertical knife jig, which is a big piece of painted lead almost as long as the fish.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I've always been told to hold fish horizontally under the belly, and that holding them vertically from the lip damages their organs. Unless that's just a saltwater thing due to the higher buoyancy making being out of the water even more stressful?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Any of you guys ever do any vertical jigging? I got into it not too long ago and it's a real blast. Caught a wahoo in south Florida, which is not a very common catch.

For those curious: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzSr2rJRKA

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I am not a book posted:

It's been years since I've fished and I don't remember anything, but the couple times that my wife and I went last year were a blast for both of us so I'm looking for some tips:
We've got a lake full of panfish that's about 30 feet at the deepest but around the edges is anywhere from 1 foot to 5 feet, with some stands of weeds and downed trees. My wife loves catching bluegills, what should we do in order to get good sized ones? Most of the ones that bite are tiny and we end up throwing them back.

When I was a kid I would catch them with a panfish hook baited with a worm I dug up or, if I couldn't find any, a compressed lump of bread that concealed the hook. Suspend it below a bobber. I've heard of catching them with lures and artificials, but I've never caught anything but largemouth bass that way.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

100% speculation, but you could try a bucktail (which would have a similar appearance without the certainty of death for the fish if it breaks off or for you when you have to spend quality time to untangle something that toothy). Another approach would be some kind of cut bait under a bobber. Just be careful using fish you catch for that, since there are a lot of rules and regs that apply to what fish you can and can't use as bait.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I am not a book posted:

Well poo poo I guess I can try that, didn't even occur to me. They don't stick close to shore do they?

I mostly freshwater fish for a quick fix when I don't have time to go offshore. I fish from shore on relatively small bodies, mostly ponds and canals, and catch more largemouth bass within 2-3 feet of shore than I do further out. Most places I fish have a little 1-foot drop off at that point, and bass like to patrol it when they are feeding. I caught two back to back one late afternoon this weekend just by working a texas rig parallel to shore. When they are not feeding, they hide in cover. Branches, lilies, and grass beds. I don't know if they behave all that differently in larger bodies, though.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

What water temp do Bass start to become more active?

Edit: That's LMB and SMB, not salt water bass.

I think anywhere between 60°F and 80°F is good, depending on other things like depth, time of day, and size of body of water.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yeah, the fish hate you. Ask the kid what illegal pop culture drugs he's attracting salmon with.

Just came home from a LIONFISH BLAST. It's where spear fishermen see who can kill the most (invasive awful destroying black bass stocks) lionfish in two days, then the local colleges come and help fillet the fish and take the carcasses for study. Then the fillets are cooked up and served for free to an adoring public. Oh, and swag and two dolla beers for sale. I am full of lionfish ceviche and fry. I also bought a t-shirt and coozie. Nom nom I gotta learn to spearfish.

Look at this big bastard: https://imgur.com/OnWKlTZ

Cool, where at?

The local Whole Foods (So. Florida) just started stocking lion fish too. Haven't tried it myself because I have no idea how to prepare it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Suspect Bucket posted:

The Lionfish Blast was at Brown's Creek Fish Camp. They're catching the bastards all over the Florida reefs though.

https://www.facebook.com/events/627751204060578/

You prepare it like shrimp, it seems. Quickly!

edit: And this is my new favorite t-shirt. Googly mofo dont know what hit him.

Oh man, those awful things are that far north? I hadn't realized that.

Is there a reliable way to catch them on a line or is spearfishing really the only way to get them? The waters down here are thick with them but I've never caught one on a hook, and I don't spearfish.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

ChrisHansen posted:

The future is only lionfish in the oceans and snakeheads lionfish in the rivers

:rip:

Fixed that for you.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

beefnoodle posted:

If you're setting the hook so hard it's hitting you in the chest, you may want to lighten up a bit. You could be ripping the hook out of their mouths.

Or ripping the mouths off the fish.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

tesilential posted:

Find a local tackle shop or sporting goods store and have them spool you up and get them to write down your spoil capacity for you. You'll get a good to great wind on the spool as opposed to a decent at best wind if you do it yourself without experience. As an added bonus you can chat fishing with a local who knows what's up and can give you tips on technique, location, gear and so on. You might even get an invite to fish which is definitely the quickest way to gain skill.

No matter your quarry or technique, I wholly insist on using braid, with the exception of perhaps sharks. For small gamefish like trout or panfish 6lb braid will work great , 10lb braid for LMB, carp, redfish, snook, 20lb for surfcasting on the beach. 30lb for boat fishing large saltwater gamefish. Bump up to the next size if you are fishing structure or using a reel with bad line lay.

Keep your reel's drag clean and if the washers are made of felt material (they are unless advertised as carbon fiber) check that they haven't fallen apart. I've seen a Stradic fj, a great reel, have a couple drag seizes that resulted in lost fish and a lot of cursing from its owner. It happens all the time with reels that haven't been maintained/used frequently. A $9 upgrade to carbon fiber makes a HUGE difference in performance and eliminates the high startup experienced with most felt drag systems.

Stradic FJ is a dry drag system unless I'm mistaken. Pretty sure my 8000 is a dry system, but I haven't had it long enough to have needed to break it down yet.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Using higher test braid will help with that. Also, I just keep a pair of pliers in my pocket and wrap the braid around one of the handles a few times to pull to tighten knots.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

I just pull braid knots teeth-tight and have never had one slip. Floro I still have the occasional failure but I think that is mostly when I try them in poor visibility.

For terminal tackle, I always use a palomar knot. Never had it slip, and it doesn't require a whole lot of tightening.

I mostly use the plier handle method for line-to-line connections like a double uni for braid -> mono.

Sometimes I think I like knots more than fishing.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

I am suspicious of the palomar knot and am becoming convinced it leads to more breakoffs then a Trilene knot, which is what I use for pretty much all terminal tackle connections.

Are you using it for mono? It's really more of a braid knot, since it's designed to prevent slippage. Braid doesn't grip itself that well.

Trilene is good too, but I only use it with lighter line. I mostly fish offshore, and I prefer the San Diego Jam Knot for mono. It works especially well for 20+ lb. test.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LowPartz posted:

Since I'm in Ohio, freshwater is all i do, and I've used a Clinch knot exclusively for decades. Whatever the line, a clinch has never let me down.

I have definitely had clinch knots fail on me, but again that's fishing salt with heavier tackle. I don't bother with anything fancier than a trilene knot for freshwater fishing, but that's usually just to scratch the itch. At best I catch a 2-3 lb. largemouth bass. They have so little fight, I'm pretty sure I could use nothing more than the power of suggestion to land them. Trilene is essentially a clinch knot where you go through the eye twice, which can spread the load from terminal tackle. Which is why I like it for bigger stuff in the 10#-20# range, but it can be a pain close a trilene knot in 50# mono.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LowPartz posted:

On average, what's a ballpark estimate for lure weight/line strength for salt water fishing? I realize different fish=different tackle, but what do you fish for and what do you use?

It varies substantially based on depth and targeted fish. I fish on head boats in 80-200 ft. and I mostly vertical jig, which requires specialized tackle. 50# braid mainline, 50# mono leader, and I'm ripping a 2oz-6oz lead slug in the shape of a butter knife through the water column at a pretty good speed. There isn't really a target-you can catch drat near anything with it from lizardfish to wahoo. When my arm wears out, I switch to what would be considered a light bottom fishing rig using 20-30# line and a MH rod for snapper. If I do anchor trips in 30-40ft, 15# is plenty.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Mandingo posted:

Damnit, I keep losing lures from being bad at tying knots. I tossed a Jitterbug to the moon last night after my trilene knot came undone.

What am I doing wrong? Thinking about switching to a slip knot.

Are they breaking or coming undone? If the latter, you may not be tying it right or maybe you're not closing it enough. For mono, it helps to spit on the line so it slides tight without causing abrasion damage.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Mandingo posted:

Just came undone. I guess I'm never t tying tight enough. I do lick it though, remembered that much from my childhood. I guess I'm just not pulling down tight.

Yeah you should be setting the knot tightly. Don't be afraid to pull with a lot of force, so long as you aren't breaking the line. Some knots, like a San Diego jam knot, actually tighten from tension on the mainline rather than risk coming undone, so that's an option too. That particular knot is more suited for thick mono, but I've tied it with as low as 8lb. with no problems. Also, close it slowly to make sure everything stays neatly in place and you don't pinch any open loops.

And as stated above, if you are using braid, learn a braid knot like palomar. Braid is slick and more prone to coming undone with subpar knots.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

I have always heard that but I have never had even the most sloppily tied knot slip in braid. It seems like braid just digs into itself and locks down pretty loving tight. Were earlier generations of braid a lot stiffer and slicker than the stuff we have now?

I think it depends on the brand and use case. I've had it slip before while setting the hook in 150+ feet of water in current with a 6 oz. sinker. I wouldn't worry about it for inshore or cases where the line isn't under nearly as much tension.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I like learning new stuff and enjoy fishing but it's a pain in the rear end when people go 'lol so easy' with every drat thing. Baseball's a pretty simple game, just hit the ball with the bat! Run around a bit! Shucks, it's all just luck. Why are you struggling so much, these guys on TV do it no problem every night! Maybe you should just quit if you're having so much trouble.

Where are you located and what type of fishing are you doing? Most of what I know (and I consider myself intermediate at best) I learned by fishing with people who know more than I do. The rest was trial and error or internet.

If possible, I suggest finding a way to go out with more experienced people, even if that means shelling out for a charter trip.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

tesilential posted:

Hmmm. The spring is freshwater, so spearfishing is not allowed, however throwing a spear attached to line would be considered bowfishing, which is allowed in freshwater and I believe mullet are a targetable species.

Check the FWC site to be sure. Another option is to hop on a charter or headboat out of the springs. The offshore fishing in that area is amazing and being that it's the middle of nowhere prices are more reasonable than Tampa or other metro areas.

edit: You can also pick up a 5 foot cast net for $40 at a bait shop and catch as many as you want.

What's the offshore fishing trip like on the west coast of Florida? I'm spoiled being in South Florida, where the reef is 1 mile from shore, so most of a 4-hour trip is spent on the reef.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

tesilential posted:

Dang 4 new posts in between my replies! Go fishing thread Go!

I went outta Dunedin on Saturday, started fishing about 18 miles out over limestone bottom for red grouper. Went as far as 25 where we got tons of black sea bass and like 80 grunts and 10 short grouper, reds and gags. Then stopped at one spot on the way in about 23 miles and got nonstop short gag action until my roommate got a 33" plus gag. We got a good picture (they're out of season) and called it a day. We were out maybe 5 hours total including the rides.

I think the ride out is very similar up in the Homossassa area but it's a larger area with less pressure.

A 4 hour headboat is probably only good for grunts. If you can get on a sport boat or 6 pack charter then you can get out to good water and back in 4 hours and have a shot at good fish.

I always go for 8 hour trips myself since it's usually like 15-25% more money for at least 100% more fishing time.

Man that sounds like a lot of travel time. I have family in Tampa who love fishing, so I plan to make it over for a trip eventually.

Down here a 4-hour trip can be pretty productive. Last time I was out on a small (10 person) headboat, my brother and I went home with more than a dozen yellowtail and mangrove snapper, half a dozen rainbow runners, and my first mahi. Caught several times more that in fish that were either undersized or out of season.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

I've been watching old fishing shows on YouTube and men's shorts showed a lot more thigh back then. Classic gear calls for classic shorts.

It's crazy to me that your drags are still in good shape after all these years. Of the three used casting reels I've bought, none of which are more then say 10 years old, all three had totally clapped out drag washers that more or less crumbled apart in my hands when I went to replace them. It's not like freshwater Bass anywhere near the strain on gear then your average saltwater fish does either.

The older Abu round reels have a bit of a cult following, so I'm sure there's someone out there who can take the project on, so long as parts are still available. I have a reel out for repair at a place called "The Tackle Trap". I'm still waiting to get it back so I cannot comment on the work but the owner GaryI was super helpful in talking me through my repair options and he gets really favorable reviews when you Google his shop. It might be worth shooting him an email to see if he will take the job on or can recommend someone.

These are my bass spinning combos. The reels are both Stradic CI4+'s and the rods are a 6' ml/f and a 6'2" m/xf. They're both kinda bare-bone custom rods from a builder called SmallieStix out of PA. I had them made with short butt sections for easier use out of my kayak and with microwave guides to get a little casting distance back.

Nice, what kind of bass do you catch on those? Down here (S. Fla.) I usually fish salt, but occasionally fish freshwater since my house is on a pond system. I only catch largemouth <5 lbs., and they have zero fight, even after I stepped down to a really lightweight spinning combo with 8 lb. mono.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

TheBizzness posted:

Serious question even though a very dumb one:

What is the advantage of having a higher end rod?

I have a $35 Diawa that feels and looks really nice and when I pick up the $100 rods at the tackle shop I honestly have no idea what I'd be paying for?

I fish inshore salt water, for the record.
Aside from the usual cheap vs. expensive issues (durability, resistance to salt eating your gear), it depends on application. Generally, more expensive rods are stronger and more responsive while also being lighter. Strong cheap rods feel like broomsticks.

They also react differently when under load, so a store comparison is not very good. You'd have to fish with one to really see a difference.

Also, since you're fishing inshore, the action of a good blank affects how well it casts.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that there is a point of diminishing returns. Around $125-$200 (depending on use) is my sweet spot for salt fishing. I really, really like Chaos rods, which is a small local company. I have a $200 Chaos vertical jigging rod and a $70 Ugly Stik, and there is absolutely no comparison.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can I catch a reasonable saltwater fish with a senko?

People down here use gulps, so maybe? What are you fishing for, or where? Anything is worth a shot, you never know!

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

To add to this is the awful fact that the more sensitive the rod, the more brittle it will be. So the more you spend, the more likely tagging a tree is going to shatter your tip. This is why the better american brands have such amazing warranties, it helps people get over paying $500 for an NRX if they know that Loomis will replace it for like $100 or whatever it is these days.

...tagging a tree...? But the fish are in the water!

Related note, never free a snag using the rod as leverage.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I caught my first snakehead today. I removed the hook and it angrily walked back into the water :stare:

Then I caught its mate, and after a brief fight it bit right through my line :stare: :stare:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

Hah, they are some tough fish. Where in the country are you?

Yeah, no kidding. I've caught a lot of types of fish, mostly saltwater, but until today never caught anything that just got pissed off at me. I'm in South Florida.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

gay picnic defence posted:

We finally got a bluefin tuna

This was just a sub-10kg school fish but we hooked up and lost some much bigger fish, including one which we got next to the boat before it dragged the line into the prop and got away

That is some excellent looking fish. I would love to find some tuna, but from what I've read they got hugely over fished down here decades ago and have all but disappeared. Where are you located?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

dms666 posted:

Any recommendations on combos for bass fishing from a kayak? The only rods I currently own aren't really suitable, ultralight 4-5' rods for trout and 10-13' steelhead and salmon rods. I'm guessing I want something in the 6-7' range, maybe medium action, probably stick with spinning for now. Just looking for something lower end right now til I find what I like, maybe in the $50-70 range.

You can probably get by with an ugly stik combo until you decide what you want to move up to.

I don't kayak fish, but from shore I use a medium action 7' Skeet Reese spinning combo I got for like $70 from Dick's Sporting Goods. The rod is way nicer than it should be at that price, but the reel is utter garbage and feels like it came out of a gumball machine. I'll probably replace the reel soon when I angrily hurl it into a pond while untangling yet another wind knot.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Telsa Cola posted:

Hey all, I got a new spincast reel as I'm getting back into fishing after like a 10 year break. In the first cast I think a gear seized up and the reel arm wont make a full rotation. Any ideas or am I being a moron? Figured this would be a good place to ask.

You may have better luck with replies if you included photos or at least make/model. I doubt many here use spincasters (assuming you mean one of these), but I and probably others are used to detail stripping reels any may be able to help.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What kind of depth do you guys fish when you use wacky rigs?

Also, any recommendations for a reliable spinning reel for bass fishing? I don't want anything fancy, so I'm hoping < $50 should be enough for a 2000 size that a) has tolerably smooth drag and b) doesn't cause wind knots.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I have a Shimano Sienna reel and Sojourn Rod. It was around that price and I have no complaints

bongwizzard posted:

I fish them shallow, but I fish everything shallow.

For inexpensive spinning reels, I like the Okuma Avenger B line of reels. The drag is decent, but like most reels, you can get aftermarket pads cheap. The wind knot thing is more a factor of line management imho, but I have used thin braid on both a 500 and a 3000 sized one and they both didn't have too much trouble if I didn't overfill the spool.

Thanks, I'll check out those suggestions.

Ordinarily I'd agree about it being an issue with line management, but I shouldn't be getting wind knots every 15 minutes using mono line. Never had anything like this with my other reels, and I've done a lot of fishing with braid and mono alike.

It's a really, really cheap reel, with such selling points as "randomly requires between 45 and 180 degree turn of the drag knob to adjust one click."

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Star rods are really nice too, and deals on the Star Stellar Lite can sometimes be found at the high end of your budget.

I presume you got snagged and tried to use the rod to break free? That's one of the most common causes of snapped rods, along with car doors and high sticking. To free a snag, point the rod directly at the snag so there is no stress on the rod, cup the reel to hold it in place, and pull.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 30, 2017

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

bongwizzard posted:

I will add that is very helpful to take pictures of the process. At least for casting reels, the parts diagram does not show orientation perfectly and you can drive yourself crazy by say putting the anti-reverse bearing in upside down.

Been there, done that.

An egg carton is good for storing little bits, and you can use sequential compartments to store each "step" of the disassembly.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Rotten Cookies posted:

So I think the fish were nibbling the end of the plastic worms I was using, not getting the hook in their mouth. I sat on the bite for a bit and then yanked, and ended up hooking a few smallmouth. My friends and I were thinking "gently caress! We're just not fast enough! Gotta be quicker." and hoping to yank as hard and fast as possible at the smallest sign.

Then we tried waiting it out, and it worked. We got some tiny fish, but fish nonetheless. I'm just glad we got SOMETHING. Thanks for the advice, it really helped.

Also thanks to the rest of the thread with the recommendations when I previously posted.

Largemouth ball the worm up (or so I'm told), giving you a bit more of a window to set the hook than you would have with other types of fish. Be careful with sitting on a bite too long though or you can guthook the dumb ones.

Maybe also try circle hooks? You don't need to set the hook, just reel in the slack. They work well for snapper, but I've never tried them for bass (and we don't have smallmouth this far south).

Enigma fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 11, 2017

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Just know I'm envious of all you guys who can fish for salmon.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Those are cool. What are they used for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's cool. I have never seen anyone use those down here. I'll have to keep my eye out for some non-treble ones for bass.