Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So I just got last minute invited up to a fishing cabin for the weekend. I guess we'll mainly be out on a boat going for walleye. I usually trout fish so I'm not exactly sure what to try for.

My thought was just some leeches and a jig. Anything else I should try while I'm out?

Try a lindy rig!

And if you're sticking to one spot, and you want to just do leech + jig, throw a bobber on your line so you can chill. Best advice is to just follow what the older guys do, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

These are the days to remember during the periods when you can't catch a fish to save your life and you wonder if you ever will again. You've been posting some real hogs lately!

Rig question: is a Lindy Rig the same as a Carolina Rig, except with a no-snag sinker instead of an egg sinker? It seems like it is, but maybe there is some kind of subtle, functional difference that I'm not seeing.

It's pretty close, but the idea with the lindy rig is that because the weight is resting on the bottom, you can open the bail and let walleye take the hook without feeling any weight, then set the hook once they've taken it fully. It's good for slower feeding/finnicky fish. A carolina works totally fine when they're hungry. Also it seems because carolina is a bass thing, and lindy is a walleye thing, theyre used mostly with soft plastics and live bait respectively.

Thanks to whoever posted this earlier, it's useful enough to be posted again http://www.fishinfo.com/fishing-articles/article_512.shtml

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 21, 2018

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

Keep a set of forceps clipped to your vest or pack or whatever. They're crucial for unhooking fish who've swallowed the bait/lure/fly.

And yeah, go barbless.

Keeping the forceps clipped to something is crucial. I just lost my forceps yesterday because they weren't attached to anything :v:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

hagie posted:

My braid to not-braid knot go-to is the Albright or Alberto or something. Has worked flawlessly so I haven't tried anything else. Doesn't the FG require you to hold the tagline with some kind of weight or something? I think I saw a guy hang it off a table or something with something attached.

FG is great, ever since gpd posted about it I've been using it for braid to fluoro leader. I've found it pretty easy to hold the braid tight in my teeth and manipulate the fluoro I'm tying to it with my hands. My fluoro leader has snapped a number of times, but not once at the knot.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rythe posted:

I like Fisherman's Life, the dude is super relaxed, does some great trips, has nice, clean videos and is a amateur that is going out for fun. He does alot of catch and cooks with some interesting 2-3 day trips, he is based on the west coast too.

Fisherman's Life is my favorite by far. He's got the only fishing videos my SO (who is completely disinterested in fishing) actively watches when I queue one up. EliasVFishing is really good too. East coast, was NYC but moved to NC recently. Lots of variety in where he fishes/what he targets, and fishes most of the time from his kayak, which is helpful as a prospective kayak-owner. Lots of catch and cooks.

Washington fish quest is pretty amateurish in terms of the technical stuff, but he's a super charming goofy guy, and is fairly informative. I've been looking for WA content, as I'm moving there soon. There doesn't seem to be much, though.

Most fishing channels have such dire editing so it's refreshing to find someone that knows how to pace a video.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

A bass combo would be totally fine for the majority of pike fishing. They're really toothy though, and very aggressive, so you'd probably see some benefit to using a stronger leader. 6lb mono can definitely bring in fish way bigger than 6 lbs. if you're not confident though, 10lb braid is typically the thickness of 2lb mono, so you could go hog wild with that.

E. Titties knows best

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 6, 2018

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Got skunked this morning on a small local lake that was just stocked yesterday with 2-3 lb rainbows. same with the ~10 or so other bank anglers. wtf

I still haven't received so much as a nibble since I moved to this state 2 months ago. my situation is becoming dire, gentlemen.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just floating powerbait a few feet off an egg sinker. Didn't seem too weedy tbh. I heard some dudes talking that had been there yesterday and had luck. they were using the same sorta presentation I was, so I think it mostly came down to a bad day. or we were all wrong. or maybe the trout fresh off the farm were all hunkered down in a hole somewhere because they're new to the lake and don't know where the food is.

What would you fish for in the sound this time of year? I'm actually having a lot of trouble learning this kind of poo poo online. Not a lot of good info for newbies to the region.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Old trick I’ve heard for farmed trout is throwing pebbles on the water to “chum”.

lmao, I bet that actually works. I've seen some videos of people cutting open stocked trout stomachs and pulling out loving rocks and and pinecones

The annual WDFW rulebook is your bible in terms of following what's in season, especially if you're thinking about salmon. There's no salmon season at the moment, but blackmouth Chinook season opens Jan 1. Also, you've got ten more days to catch a cabezon in Puget Sound if you want to keep it, but there are also usually lots of flatfish, sea perch, pile perch around at any given time. The perch fight like hell on light tackle. And if you like fishing at night, there are squid to be had.

You might look into some nearby rivers if you can't get off the lake bank. Even if the lake isn't very large, there are so many places for fish to be that aren't near you.

I just picked up a bag of frozen shrimp and some pro-cure herring oil. I'll see whats around the pier tomorrow. Should I use a heavier leader for bottomfishing? I have 15lb braid mainline with a 12lb fluoro leader rigged up on my bass rod, but I could switch things out if there could be something with sharp teeth around

Also my original plan for today was to hit up a river that has some good reports of chum salmon from within the last week, but I got intimidated because salmon fishing seems very involved and I feel like a total outsider. Also I didn't have any clear line heavier than 12 lbs (solved this problem)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

You don't have to worry too much about teeth cutting line with most things out here. I can't think of anything around here that would require a wire leader or anything like that. Since you're fishing bait off the bottom, you probably want at least an ounce on there to keep the current from tossing it around. If you're going for perch, I've seen people have good success vertical jigging with a dropshot rig and bait. You probably wouldn't need as much weight for that. A slip bobber rig would also be a good approach. Don't forget to rinse the salt water off your line and reel when you're finished!

Finally broke the drought yesterday with a little pile of striped perch on a carolina rig. they were piled up next to the pier so I basically just suspended my shrimp into the crowd. Not the most challenging fishing in the world, but plenty of fun. Now I want to get out to westport and catch some redtails and crab. Thanks for the suggestion dude.

I need some waders for surf/river fishing. Anyone have any recommendations for brands, or stores with good black friday sales?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

My pleasure! I'm glad that they were in the mood to bite. It's the worst when you can see a school of them inspecting your bait and not giving a poo poo.

Also, you probably don't need waders for redtails. They usually hang out between the first and second set of breakers, and you shouldn't need to wade out to cast that far. I'd wager for the first few times that I went and waded that there were more fish swimming around my ankles than were near my bait.

How about for the humpy run in the sound? I was thinking that could give my cast some extra yardage

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm tempted to get one of these telescopic kastking rods

They look pretty useful for traveling/backcountry stuff.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Dukket posted:

For the last two decades I've been fishing just a couple times a year. I have moved to Minneapolis and have decided I have no excuse to not get back into fishing. Given the time of year I've grabbed my dad's old ice fishing gear.

The inline reels are simple cheap plastic and the rods just have the tip top guide. I would guess none of it has been used since the early 90's, possible the 80's. I'm sure the line is garbage, but wonder if the reels are worth keeping or if I should at least replace one or more with a spinning reel.

Those old things would be fine for catching panfish, as long as they're still in working order. If you hook into a pike though, you'll probably wish you had something with a drag. I'd say give it a shot first. If you end up enjoying fishing, there will be plenty of time to go spend (all) your money on new gear.

Personally though, I'd say buy a spinning reel once you're sure you're gonna stick with it. You can use it for ice fishing, then transfer it over to a different rod once spring comes.

Btw, I just moved away from Minneapolis a few months ago, so let me know if you want any advice on specific spots. In Minneapolis proper my favorite lake was Nokomis. Should have a decent shot at seeing pike or walleye. If it's not iced over, the Mississippi south of Ford Dam is by far your best bet if you want to catch a walleye. The reason being that it's catch and release only, so you can't eat them unfortunately.

Do you have an auger?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Dukket posted:

My recollection is that we use to catch pike using a heavy cord (with a leader) suspended from the ceiling of a shanty. That was a long time ago so its hard to say how reliable that memory is.

That's amazing. I've never heard of that, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

For ice fishing, the best bait is generally minnows. Crappie minnows for crappie (:downs:), fathead or shiner minnows for walleye and pike (or big suckers if you're feeling bold). Though obviously sometimes big fish go for small bait, and vice versa. Wax worms are also a great general choice for panfish.

I can't offer much info for artificial bait, but keep the presentation small, and slow down the jigging. Fish are moving more slowly in the winter.

If you're using a spud, check ice conditions online. I wouldn't wanna have to chop through 2' with one of those. This time of year the ice around the metro should be less than a foot, though.

Here's a good general guide on ice fishing for crappie

If I were still in MN I totally would go out ice fishing with you, it's too bad.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

If you're in NE, check out silver lake. I've never fished it, but apparently it has walleye.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

After the last trip of the year, I've logged 23 bream (mostly bluegill followed by pumpkinseed), 17 croaker, 17 largemouth, 4 bluefish, 4 channel cats, 4 sharks, 4 warmouths, 2 flounder, 1 black crappie, 1 spot, 1 toadfish, and 1 eel for 2018. Small potatoes to most "serious" fishermen I guess, but the best year I've had since I was a kid.

I dunno man, that sounds pretty good to me!

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 24, 2018

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Okay this is starting to sound fun I'll estimate my catches for the year too. I didn't ever count so this is a total shot in the dark.

6 walleye, 5 crappie, who knows how many sunfish+perch, a few northern pike, like 10-15 combined small/largemouth bass, around 5 rock bass, 10-ish fw drum, a huge smallmouth buffalo, a few carp, one flathead catfish, some baby channel catfish, a yellow bullhead, 5-10 each striped surf perch and sanddabs, a couple sculpins, and a lil copper rockfish. A good year, imo.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkAmWOgyQE

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Inline spinners are good too, as are lipless crankbaits. Or the hybrid-ish lures in between crankbaits and spoons, blade baits.

Live bait would work, too. Or dead. You probably have catfish around, right?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm betting Western Australia. They get all the cool fish.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for bank fishing small/medium size rivers? I currently live at the left side of the map near the river https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12332.shtml , but the only tackle shop in the area is located at the mouth of the river in Laurence Harbor.

The old D and R canal looks promising for crappie and cats, but I'd really like to try for smallmouth, and especially Eel and American Shad. Cats not so much, the river bottom is suspect from the centuries of industry in the area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Road_Complex_Superfund_Site is downriver, but I'd rather not chance it. And the lead slag rip rap is fun too. The river has a moderate current, I'll be bank fishing and targeting spillways and visible pools and channels, but what else? I'm sure there's a lot to learn, and I'd love some reading/veiwing material to keep me company until it warms up enough for my floridized rear end to stay out more then an hour.

And I will defiantly be hiking and fishing Dismal Swamp ASAP.

How about stripers? Seems like you should have a good shot at some of those in that river. Not that I know much about striper fishing.

I have a bit of experience with river smallies though. Look for contrasts and changes in the substrate, like transitions from sand to gravel to rocky, or rapids and current to still-moving or back-flowing sections. Fish of all kinds generally hang out in those zones of transition. Don't try to cast all the way out in the middle of the river (unless you're bottomfishing for big cats), most fish don't want to be fighting the current all day, so they can usually be found hanging out in the eddies close to shore. I've had the most luck with crankbaits and spinners, especially lipless or deep-diving crankbaits. That's in MN though. I've found the best way to learn an area is to talk to locals and read the locals' fishing forums, then pick spots and return to them multiple times and in different conditions. Don't get discouraged by a single skunking.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Apparently they use inferior drag mechanisms, and the way the line spools off the housing creates drag so you can't cast as far. I'm sure someone could engineer a spincaster to be high performance, but I've never seen one personally

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm making the 2.5 hour drive out to the coast tomorrow morning to fish the jetty for WA state coast bottomfishing opener!

Wish me luck on my first lingcod/cabezon/rockfish/greenling!! I'm very excited

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I dunno if there's really a difference but I've filleted and eaten a northern pike. It was great meat, but yeah the y-bones are kind of a pain to figure out. I'd probably only consider a larger pike (like at least 20") worth the effort. Watch a few videos on how people fillet them to get an idea.

My family in MN have a recipe for pickled pike as well. Apparently the pickling makes the bones soft so you don't need to worry about them. I could find that recipe if you're interested

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've been skunked every time I've gone fishing for months now. Salt or fresh, doesn't seem to matter.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Mrenda posted:

I'm planning on using lures and soft bait rather than live bait because live bait seems like another layer of hassle I don't need at the start.

Actually I think most fishermen would agree using bait is much, much easier when you're first starting out. there's a lot of nuance in presentation and the way you physically move an artificial bait that simply isn't needed when using the real stuff. mostly due to the bait smelling like food, so all you need to do is throw it in the water.

Also it's a very good thing if there's other people around fishing. just watch what they do and try to learn from it. I wouldn't say fishing is necessarily an inherently social or solo hobby, but you'll find some people that want nothing more than to talk your ear off all day when you're out there. try to use that to your advantage if you can.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm just getting back into fishing after some decades off and I keep reading debate about what kind of line to use. I see that most use braid with a fluoro leader. Is there a reason I couldn't just use 100% fluoro on a light weight rig?

The only big advantage of fluoro over normal mono is the refractive index, so there's nothing to really justify the 2-5x price to spool up the whole reel with it.

If you don't care about the cost, knock yourself out. If you're willing to spend, though, you might as well get braid and tie on a fluoro leader.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

You can usually differentiate between a clean break and a knot failure based on the end of the line. Knot failures usually result in the end having a little hook or curve to it because the line pulled through or broke mid-knot. if the line's flat and uncurled on the end it probably wasn't your knot.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm torturing myself looking on craigslist at used kayaks in my neighborhood and just came across a guy selling a new-ish perception pescador pilot for $600 and I really really wish I had a way of storing it because I'd be all over that deal. I hate apartment living :sweatdrop:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Public Storage, my dude

Places in my area are the bougie heated indoor storage buildings for over $100/mo, or are completely full and have been for years. I’d love to find a place that had that as an option, but I haven’t been able to so far.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

moved to the area recently, so no nearby f&f, but i guess CL may be an option

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I just accepted a temp job working with my state fisheries dept boat fishing for chinook salmon. We're imitating local sport fisherman gear and techniques to obtain catch success data and genetic samples. expect some sweet sweet king pics in the near future

Very excited to do what I love professionally :toot:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Yo forward me some info!

On a realistic note I’m going on a 3 day trip to Neah bay WA this weekend.

Haha, I'm not sure what info I'm allowed to divulge yet, but I'll pass along what I can!

And I've been trying to convince my fiance to go on a trip out to neah bay, but I'm having trouble coming up with non-fishing related arguments to convince her there over other places... Have fun! It looks to be a paradise for bottomfishing. What's your plan? doing a charter? bringing the yak?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

tesilential posted:

Congrats on the sweet gig! Are you trying to replicate the catch success of a recreational weekend warrior or doing population surveys?

Seems like the former. No netting, no seines. We'll be using the same gear the average sport fisherman would use. So for a salmon newbie like myself, this'll be an amazing crash course in how to catch kings and how to manage the various pieces of gear I know nothing about.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ghostnuke posted:

This might be a dumb question...

as a bank/shore fisherman, how do you know how deep to set it or how deep the water is without some sort of sonar thingy?

https://www.lurenet.com/thill-depth-finder-marker

We use these extensively when ice/boat fishing with a slip bobber setup. you slip your bobber stopper to a rough estimate of where the bottom is, then clip that weight to your hook. let line out until the weight hits the bottom and note how far under the bobber is. Then you can reel in and adjust the stopper to get the hook to the precise depth off the bottom you're looking for. eg. if your bobber is pulled two feet below the surface, that means when you take the weight off, the hook is two feet off the bottom.

It works super well when bait fishing walleye because theyre typically suspending a few feet off the bottom and you can dial your bait in to be right in front of their faces.

I've done this a couple times when bank fishing and it works reasonably well, as long as you're not casting very far and you're using a bobber setup. You can also forgo the clip on weight and just keep adjusting the stopper until your bobber is just standing. That'll be the depth of the water if the line is vertical.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I landed and released four salmon today (three kings, one coho)

This job loving rules

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

:hellyeah: What are you catching them on? Also I owe you a beer.

Seems to be pretty typical stuff. downriggers, flashers, spoons, hootchies, and plugs. We'll probably throw some bait on at some point, too.

After a couple days of hoisting those big fuckers up my arms are so sore, ugh

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Can I string a fish cage along in a kayak? Or would the kayak tip over?

depends how big it is. if there's any size to it it'll cause a bunch of drag and make the kayak list to one side

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you use braid use fluoro/mono leader.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

40 lb braid is insanely overkill in freshwater unless you're going for massive river flatheads or sturgeon. I'm pulling in 20 lb king salmon on 25 lb mono from 150 feet of water without even thinking of breaking my main line as a possibility. Your real problem there was that you apparently didn't have your drag set correctly. You can theoretically catch just about anything with 12 lb mono if you play the fish out and don't try to horse it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Welcome to fishing, where the methods are made up and the species don't matter (cus we'll call it a sea bass)

unless it's a """trout"""