Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm 99% certain I've read somewhere that it does.

Yeah, a bunch of websites have already confirmed that the old remote works fine, it just doesn't have a touchpad or Siri access.

Same goes for the even older white plastic version from the mid-2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Ugh when are they going to announce a pre-order date already?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MickRaider posted:

Ugh when are they going to announce a pre-order date already?

Since this won't be as in-demand as the iPhone, there may be no preorders at all. But you can bet it'll go on sale the last week of October.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, a bunch of websites have already confirmed that the old remote works fine, it just doesn't have a touchpad or Siri access.
Thank god.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The old remote is a god damned work of art

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
"I love the Apple TV remote!"

-My Couch Cushions

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Times I use my AppleTV Remote:

1) Hard reset
2) Setting up internet to use the Remote app

[/list]

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MickRaider posted:

Times I use my AppleTV Remote:

1) Hard reset
2) Setting up internet to use the Remote app

[/list]

You forgot when the internet goes out and you're suddenly only watching local network media

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The new box DOES have an IR port after all, then? I remember hearing it didn't. That's great, I can still use my Harmony remote with it, then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man maybe it's my phone then but the appleTV remote app is pretty buggy in my experience. I've had it start typing and then it just constantly repeats (on screen) what I've already typed as if it's trying to sync the text but not clear what was there already. It's hard to articulate since I pretty much gave up on the remote app but I'll have to try to capture the problem now. Used to be really prevalent when I last used the remote a while back.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

You forgot when the internet goes out and you're suddenly only watching local network media
Wouldn't the remote app still work without Internet? Wifi would still work

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Man maybe it's my phone then but the appleTV remote app is pretty buggy in my experience. I've had it start typing and then it just constantly repeats (on screen) what I've already typed as if it's trying to sync the text but not clear what was there already. It's hard to articulate since I pretty much gave up on the remote app but I'll have to try to capture the problem now. Used to be really prevalent when I last used the remote a while back.

This happens to me all the time in addition to the touch controls being hella finicky.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MickRaider posted:

Wouldn't the remote app still work without Internet? Wifi would still work

Wifi would work, but I always disconnect from it when it stops providing internet services myself so as to keep something connected to the net.

Edit:

puppy party posted:

This happens to me all the time in addition to the touch controls being hella finicky.

Is there a way to move only one item up/down/left/right? I'm always moving weird combinations of 2 and 3 like it's god damned chutes and ladders.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 7, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Edit: Double post

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I hate having to push the on button, swipe right, input my passcode, click the remote app, and wait for it to load every time I want to hit one button, like pause. Remote apps are a pain in the butt imo. Plus mine is super laggy when scrolling and I always have to go back and forth trying to home in on whatever.

But the Apple TV Remote is also garbage because that button wheel feels unpleasant and unresponsive, and you have to hold the dumb thing up, out, and pointed directly at the Apple TV to get it to work.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bass Bottles posted:

I hate having to push the on button, swipe right, input my passcode, click the remote app, and wait for it to load every time I want to hit one button, like pause. Remote apps are a pain in the butt imo. Plus mine is super laggy when scrolling and I always have to go back and forth trying to home in on whatever.

But the Apple TV Remote is also garbage because that button wheel feels unpleasant and unresponsive, and you have to hold the dumb thing up, out, and pointed directly at the Apple TV to get it to work.

I would absolutely love the Apple TV remote if it had a Home button. Being on an episode of a TV show in Netflix and wanting to back out to go to a movie or something not in Netflix takes a ton of Back clicks. Back to the season, back to the show, back to whatever section of Netflix I was on, back to Netflix profiles, and finally back to the home page, with about a 1 second pause in between. And God help you if you were marathoning and went from one season to another, because it'll hit up the other season pages as well.

drat, this post of mine was super First World Problems.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thrawn527 posted:

I would absolutely love the Apple TV remote if it had a Home button. Being on an episode of a TV show in Netflix and wanting to back out to go to a movie or something not in Netflix takes a ton of Back clicks.

Press and hold Menu for a couple of seconds.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Hold the menu button down.

Yes they hid crucial functionality where 99% of users would never find it lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Subjunctive posted:

Press and hold Menu for a couple of seconds.

Bass Bottles posted:

...son of a bitch.

Thank you both.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

seriously, look up all the functions of that remote's button combinations some time.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Simple(tm)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

seriously, look up all the functions of that remote's button combinations some time.

Do you have a reference off the top of your head?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

If you push them all at once, the ghost of Steve Jobs appears and tells you you're doing it wrong.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Usual stuff the user might actually want to do:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200131

Here's one that's not on there that I needed for some reason:
Cycle through all video modes - Press and hold Menu and Menu up/scroll (+) for about 6 seconds

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Bass Bottles posted:

I hate having to push the on button, swipe right, input my passcode, click the remote app, and wait for it to load every time I want to hit one button, like pause.

This. I really wish the phone would detect if an aTV (or anything remote controllable) was on the network and put a shortcut for the remote app on that tray you can slide up from the bottom of the phone, even in the lock screen.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I hate using the remote app, but my remote hosed off some time over the last two months and I havent been able to find it, so the app has been my savior. Just waiting for the new ATV so I can get the new remote.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'll keep using this Harmony or something like it for as long as possible, so I've never needed to use the app. Lockscreen/control panel integration would be pretty great, though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like using the apple remote on the rare occasions I can locate it.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I have a Harmony all set up, and I'm planning on using that 90% and just keeping the new remote handy for the few times I want to use Siri. I'm also hoping my iPhone can be a Siri microphone for Apple TV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have to imagine that's a certainty.

Which begs the question of why isn't Siri present in OSX yet? While Microsoft has their voice controlled agent in their desktop OS first, Apple has a huge lead on well integrated other services are in Siri. Is the AppleTV integration a trial run of Siri-controlled actions on something that isn't a phone?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Siri already works on the iPad.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Thwomp posted:

I have to imagine that's a certainty.

Which begs the question of why isn't Siri present in OSX yet? While Microsoft has their voice controlled agent in their desktop OS first, Apple has a huge lead on well integrated other services are in Siri. Is the AppleTV integration a trial run of Siri-controlled actions on something that isn't a phone?

They've got dictation by double tapping Fn, I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded that with Hold Fn or bake in "Hey Siri".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

The Menu trick's been around since the original iPods, it was probably more widely known when those were still a big thing.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

mulls posted:

I have a Harmony all set up, and I'm planning on using that 90% and just keeping the new remote handy for the few times I want to use Siri. I'm also hoping my iPhone can be a Siri microphone for Apple TV.

I hope there's an IR button to activate Siri. I believe the mic for Siri is in the actual remote, but I use a Harmony as well, so it would be nice to just leave the Apple Remote next to the actual AppleTV and then it's kinda like the mic is in the ATV like it should have been in the first place anyway.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
New aTV coming next week. Orders begin Monday, shipping by the end of the week.

http://gizmodo.com/the-new-apple-tv-is-coming-next-week-1737490467

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Have any demos shown the "Computers" app (or new ATV equivalent) yet? I stream my iTunes library a lot, and I'd like to see how that looks on the upcoming hardware. It'd be neat if they prettied it up and made it more Plex-like.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
An NBC and CBS app just appeared on my AppleTV home screen, as well as whatever the hell M2M is. Looks like some fashion network.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

An NBC and CBS app just appeared on my AppleTV home screen, as well as whatever the hell M2M is. Looks like some fashion network.
Eheheheheheheheheheheh

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Minidust posted:

Have any demos shown the "Computers" app (or new ATV equivalent) yet? I stream my iTunes library a lot, and I'd like to see how that looks on the upcoming hardware. It'd be neat if they prettied it up and made it more Plex-like.

I don't think so. I'd love to see this as well, I use home sharing a lot.

Regardless, will be ordering on Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Would this be a possible sign that Apple and Comcast are closer to a content deal for the mythical Apple TV Subscription service?

• Locked thread