Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Super Dude posted:

Possibly, but they made it an even 100 for each type of device, so maybe they just set the number to 100 in order to make everything equal.

Yeah, but why would any developer wanna buy 100 Apple TVs if they weren't going to develop something for them?

I mean, I know they make great presentation tools for Mac/iOS-heavy offices but everything else on that list is designed to run apps.

The Apple TV-as a-platform cat's been out of the bag for a while in the credible press. It's up to Apple/content providers now to decide when they're gonna release it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thwomp posted:

It's Buzzfeed and I'll really fully believe it when I see it but latest report has Apple pushing ahead with a September debut of new AppleTV hardware. The Apple branded TV streaming subscription service will apparently wait until all the deals are signed. All the hardware details are reconfirmed: A8 processor, onboard storage, new remote with a touchpad, Siri support, and an App store/SDK.

Buzzfeed is mainstream enough that it's probably a safe bet to guess that it's Apple PR acting as the "trusted source." Same as with the WSJ/NYT/big Apple writers with decades-old careers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
This was quick

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Isn't 4k streaming still really taxing on our network infrastructure at the moment, though?

I might be completely wrong about this but I could've sworn that a major part of why no tech company has really introduced a 4k content pipeline for the masses yet is that if millions of houses suddenly gained the ability/desire to stream 4k at the volume that Americans currently stream HD at (and at the fluidity, speed, and quality level that we've come to expect), it would simply break the internet.

Of course, there isn't nearly an adequate amount of content available yet either, and I'm 90% sure that this is also why.

I think Netflix at some point said something along that order too. Like, "we would love to fill our roster with 4k content but we simply can't afford that and our current equipment wouldn't be able to handle it."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Games are really going to take over the TV Appstore, and the A8 isn't going to be too impressive with more demanding games blown up on a 50inch screen. I think a refreshed A9 Apple TV would be nailed on for next year (along with those content deals that Apple were still working on). Given the possibility of eating into the home-console market space, I'd be surprised if we don't get a refresh every year for the next few years, and an eventual pro model with an AXX to put the squeeze on console makers.

I'm not so sure that Apple will be as keen to push a yearly upgrade cycle with this device, although I guess I could picture a scenario in which they would want to capitalize on the relatively long life cycles of consoles to squeeze out a quick succession of upgrades.

For one, I'd argue that it's probably way less demanding to display an app on a 1080p screen, regardless of the screen's size, than on an iPad retina display. Detail becomes less critical the farther away one moves from the screen as well. Factor in things like not having to worry about battery/heat management nearly as much, and I think that calling the A8 underpowered for this task is premature. Also, I just don't think it makes sense from a buying/selling standpoint. There's a level of palpable design/performance change in phones and PCs to justify an annual upgrade cycle that a device intended to never leave the media cabinet won't have.

I like the new AppleTV, even though the lack of optical out means that it'll be a real bitch to connect to a 2-channel receiver. I don't think it stands a snowball's chance in hell of ever uprooting the big consoles (AAA Games, etc) but I think it'll easily eat their lunch in the 'a box to handle your unified audio/visual/digital/social media needs' department that Sony and Microsoft have pushed so hard (and at the expense of games, IMO).

And for all of the people eagerly dismissing AppleTV's potential as a gaming platform, the biggest places where the Wii and FireTV and OUYA have failed are where Apple arguably has excelled the most in (apps and the people who make them/a well-established, super streamlined way of getting those apps to customers cheaply), on top of having all of the money in the world and hyperpopular peripheral devices already out on the market to bolster it.

Comparing the AppleTV's development world in 2015 to what people couldn't do with the Wii ten years ago- or to the weird bastard fork of Android in the FireTV (and to say nothing about every reason why the OUYA failed) doesn't make sense to me. They're vastly different circumstances.

And while Valve is pushing the SteamOS and Steam Machines initiative for the living room at the moment, I could also envision a scenario 4-5 years from now where streaming has matured to the point where a Steam AppleTV app could make sense à la OnLive or the Playstation streaming service.

If I were Apple, I'd honestly be walking to Gabe's office with a couple of billion dollars right now going "what do we need to start building together to make this happen?"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

The only reason it's weird that Apple didn't put 4k in the new ATV is because the new IPhones can record content at that resolution. Now there's no obvious way to view your 4k videos, making it seem a little pointless? I guess they'll look nice on iPad screens though.

And Mac screens. You'd be really surprised by the amount of actual honest-to-dog media content that gets captured on smartphones these days, mixed in practically indistinguishably with all of the stuff captured on "real" cameras.

People will shoot usable 4K with iPhones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Absolute Zeroes posted:

It's rare for TVs to pass through digital signals via their optical outs unmolested, they have an awful habit of down mixing to stereo. :(

Often that can be changed in the settings. But yeah, it's never the best option, AFAIK.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Can't you already mirror/display cast to an ATV from iOS? I guess it's a start.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Auron posted:

As someone who doesn't play games on media devices, what advantage (if any) does the new Apple TV offer over the Roku 3 or FireTV except for being in the Apple ecosystem? Is there any reason to get this over anything else for $150? I do own a couple iPads and an iPhone, is AirPlay pretty cool for videos and poo poo?

The main focus is definitely apps. The advantage that the new ATV has over the competition is that it's newer, it has better/more powerful hardware, Apple have arguably spent more time developing it, and that Apple's app ecosystem should arguably be SUBSTANTIALLY better than Amazon's within a few weeks. Also the new UI, but time will have to tell on that front.

(That said, it's been all but confirmed that Amazon will be launching an updated FireTV by the end of the fall.)

But if you're not at all interested in running applications on your set-top box then the new ATV will probably be overkill, at least for now. If you just want AirPlay (which is pretty cool) and iOS device mirroring/screensharing then you could probably get away with just the $69 old one that's being kept around.

Also, it's worth noting that the new ATV only has HDMI out, instead of the optical/line out. if you plan to use AirPlay for wireless music streaming and need a stereo/optical connection to an amp or receiver, then you'll also have to stick with the old one...or with an Airport Express if you're just interested in audio.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EDIT: drat, I got beaten hard. That's what happens when I leave my phone alone halfway through a post...

Planned obsolescence exists, but it isn't nearly as central to Apple's MO as people like my mom make it out to be.

The iPad 2 was more than twice as powerful as the original iPad because of Moore's law, not because Apple had it sitting in a vault for a year going "let's wait until enough people have bought the old one." ARM development is still very much in the "exponentially growing every year" phase that, say, Intel's x86 stuff isn't at the moment. Every new feature hinges on the capability of the computer bits powering it and all that jive.

That said, there's no excuse for the iPad mini 3.

As for 4k, the more I think about it the more sense it makes for Apple to have left it off.

There simply isn't enough penetrance or general network infrastructure capability to make it worth the investment- and Apple would absolutely have to invest in supporting it.

If you build in 4k capability (and you're Apple and you want to create a seamless Apple experience to establish this new product), then eeeeverything has to be made to look good in both 4k and 1080p (because otherwise what's the point?). So then you also have to decide whether to push your developers to make their apps 4k friendly or leave it up to the market (which would likely result in no 4k apps to speak of since devs wouldn't want to sink time into resource-intensive apps).

Also, it's basically impossible for 99.999% of PCs to game competently in 4k- so imagine the prospects for a box powered by an A8. And 4k apps and assets are a lot bigger than HD. They take up a lot of room and they're a lot more network-hungry.

I could go on.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

If you grow up exclusively with HD technology in media then your viewing experiences and expectations differ. It's why you see a lot of people prefer older music to not be digitally remastered. I think you're right though, and I felt similarly jarred when watching the new Spiderman movies.

Are we sure we're not all just talking about the soap opera effect?

http://hometheaterreview.com/what-is-soap-opera-effect-and-how-to-make-it-go-away/

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 13, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sellouts posted:

What about the seamless experience of shooting 4k video on my new iPhone and then going to another device to play it back in that resolution, which is what started this to begin with? Or the seamless Apple experience that is Apple Music?

1) It's been mentioned before: There are 5k iMacs (and 21" 4k ones coming out in the next month or two) that will let you watch and edit 4k in all of its native glory. And 1080 downscaled from 4k tends to look better than 1080 shot natively. Also- lots (LOTS) of people use their iPhones to shoot photos and video for a lot of different purposes. 4k gives the iPhone camera feature parity with GoPros and other mini cameras.

2) What does Apple Music have to do with any of this? It's not like it streams in some ultra-high bandwidth lossless format that other Apple devices can't play. And even if it were lossless- Apple TVs and Airport Expresses have been able to handle and stream lossless (AirPlay) for years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

If Nvidia can release a 200 dollar STB that allows 4k Netflix, then so could Apple. They don't because Apple people have more disposable income than most and will buy every 0.5 version of their hardware.

Alternatively, the sort of person who would buy a $200 Android-powered Nvidia STB is going to be a lot more forgiving of a disjointed and spotty 4k experience, with large parts of the OS and the vast bulk of apps and content available for it limited to 1080p.

Hell, by the time there's enough media and app compatibility to make buying a 4k TV and set top box worthwhile the chipset in that Shield's gonna be long-outdated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MickRaider posted:

Does the firestick do airplay? Otherwise it's worthless (owns a firestick)

Also when will we be able to preorder the ATV4 already

Only Apple devices and products that have been licensed by Apple (Yamaha receivers, etc) can officially use AirPlay. It's an Apple thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AlexF posted:

I have both and the Fire TV doesn't have any of the lag the stick does. It's all very fluid and pretty slick. Stick is used in the bedroom as well, otherwise I would have returned it, because it's really no fun to use.

Replace the stick with a Chromecast. It'll be completely worth the $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm 99% certain I've read somewhere that it does.

Yeah, a bunch of websites have already confirmed that the old remote works fine, it just doesn't have a touchpad or Siri access.

Same goes for the even older white plastic version from the mid-2000s.

• Locked thread