Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I keep denying the newest update thinking a jailbreak is going to come soon.

Never had a JB'ed ATV but can see the appeal. I understand it's very hard for the current teams to crack, but I bet if a contest was released it would be cracked in a day! Wish I had the money to put up for it, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Moeru posted:

I'm not sure where to ask. Would there be interest in a megathread on eliminating TV and using things like Hulu\Netflix\aTV? If I get a couple of yes answers, I'll start drawing up the thread with all the information I have
I'm sure us Canadians would love to hear ways for us to cut the cable as well. You guys have some things over us like Hulu and poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MickRaider posted:

The latest ATV iOS is 5.0.2 (5.1.1) and you can jailbreak it: http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

Plex works fine.
I read this as a new jailbreak is out and I was so happy. Now my Atv 3 and I are going to be sad again.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

If you have an iPad you might not need a jailbreak (don't assume one is just around the corner, either - there may never be one) - just buy AirVideo on the iPad, then stream your MKVs from your computer, through your iPad, to the AppleTV. The image isn't cropped, it's just like playing something from within the aTV interface.
This is what I do and it works great. You can sleep the iPad when the movie starts too.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

Has Apple fixed or is there a known fix for the iOS Remote.app no longer connecting to Apple TVs? They updated the iOS app in around March, and it totally broke it. The only solution was to fish the old version out of your trash and downgrade, but I absent-mindedly upgraded again a few weeks ago, and it seems to be totally broken still.

Using iPhone 4 and iPad 3 with latest versions and using an Apple TV 2 with latest versions of everything. I use Remote.app to control bedroom computer iTunes every day but haven't been able to make it control Apple TV in a while.
Just used it on my AppleTV3 with iPad 3 and iPhone 4s and it works.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

HolySwissCheese posted:

gently caress, I was hoping to just wait for another update instead of having to troubleshoot this poo poo. Any ideas why it's been broken for me on this version since March?
Dunno, worked perfect since the launch of Apple TV3 which is when I first started using it.

Do the whole restore dance with your devices and try again?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a VPN set up to watch American Netflix on my iPad. Works perfectly.

AirPlay doesn't work (only does audio) but mirroring will. Problem is that it doesn't fit my screen - black bars.

I use DisplayOut which is a JB app, but it still doesn't fit the screen.

I can stretch it to fit but then it doesn't look as good. Any help here to make it full screen? I'm so close!!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Akuma posted:

Does Canada not have Netflix? Even us in the UK have it, and we don't have poo poo all else.

But anyway, my question is more; why not use whatever workaround you're using for the iPad on the AppleTV? We have Netflix here but the selection sucks, so I use a service to get the US selection by changing the DNS settings.
You can't use VPN's on an Apple TV 3. I instead use the VPN on my iPad. Only way to run a VPN on it would be to use a flashed router which is way too much effort

And for the first question, I have Canadian Netflix but want the American selection.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Does anyone have a link to accurate instructions for getting a router running dd-wrt to work with a service like StrongVPN? Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places or just not following instructions correctly but I can't get it to work for bypassing MLB.tv blackouts.
I use Hide my rear end which has a page dedicated to showing you how to do it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Legdiian posted:

This may be a dumb question, but if I go to Walmart and buy a DVD out of the $5 bin, what is the official "Apple way" to get that media on my Apple TV?
In my opinion, buy it digitally instead. Or use an antiquated method (DVD player) which your toaster can do.

Disc media blows. We had it with tapes, then laser discs, then DVD's, BR's will be next, etc.

At least if you get it digitally it'll still work when the new hotness comes around.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, I worked at the Apple store for two years. I have personally given hundreds of customers a huge hassle over replacing the headphones that came with every iPhone, at the direction of the store manager. I assure you that even if something costs a nickel it could be a hassle.
Dude you worked at a poo poo Apple Store.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Tim Cook said himself that TV is the one thing no one has invented on in a really long time and they are quite seriously looking into it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Suqit posted:

I've been using remote on two iphones with my 3rd generation AppleTV for around a year now. Starting a few days ago neither phone will recognize the AppleTV. I've force quit the application, deleted and reinstalled, reset the AppleTV, setup the AppleTV as new, and reset the router, all to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Or is this take it back to the Apple Store?

Don't you have to do something in the settings menu on the atv under remote?

E: or home sharing?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

jackpot posted:

Anybody have any ideas on this? I figured out enough to check the Windows (7) firewall settings, but it's showing iTunes as allowed and I'm not sure what else to do.

Turn off your firewall completely and see.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

This is a real dumb solution, but maybe you can load Netflix on an iOS device and Airplay it.

I don't think you can AirPlay Netflix.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Narqulie posted:

But you can mirror, and airplay that way!

Can you though? Coulda sworn that just shows a red screen with the logo on the TV...it's been a while - I might be wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
To be fair, I'd imagine literally 1% of the aTV population does this anyways.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Acrolos posted:

Edit: Well, that didn't work. Apparently my ipod touch doesn't support ios 5. Even though there was a remote app for previous ios versions, the app no longer supports 4.2.1. Sigh...reasons like this is why I choose to not have an iphone.

Buy a $19 remote and don't have the Apple TV hidden so it has line of sight, or stop complaining cuz you are a whiner. Get the Android equivalent judging by how much you hate Apple.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Acrolos posted:

No, I'm complaining that I can't install an old version of the app that would work on my device (it did exist, from looking around online) . I can do that on an Android device, so that's the reason for my frustration.

I don't hate Apple either. I love my Apple TV and my ipad, I was just looking for an option to control it without a line of site view.

It is just frustrating to know that there is an app that offers this option on a device that I have, but I can't use it because apple won't allow you to load an older version of the app.

Considering you're using another device to control the Apple TV anyways, why not just buy the ~~~remote~~~ and use that?

The ATV is small and inconspicuous enough to have out instead of hidden away too.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

I don't get it

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm confused why my receiver isn't doing surround sound when I try to watch content that has 5.1 audio on my Apple TV. I mainly have this problem with Netflix, and I know my receiver can do dolby digital plus just fine because it works when I use Netflix on the PS3.

I've been on Google trying all sorts of things but haven't been able to solve this issue. Any ideas?

Receiver is Denon, all my devices use the same type of HDMI cable, no optical audio being used.

Funny I've had very similar issues. Try this out

Rent an iTunes movie, don't do a preview, they don't do DD

I then had DD. Netflix just doesn't give DD even though it should. Two customer calls later confirmed it's a bug on their end.

I have some video files that are DD on my computer. Both Plex and Air Video Hd will do DD.

This is Apple TV 3 using optical audio cable into my receiver. I was testing with Netflix and was pulling my hair out until trying an iTunes rental then realizing it's Netflix.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

FYI for you guys having trouble with 5.1: apparently the last Apple TV update broke something to do with Dolby (possibly only in the 3rd party apps?). I was so annoyed by 5.1 not making it to my receiver (a Denon E300, funnily enough) that I called Netflix to ask why it wasn't working - 5.1 support for the Apple TV is advertised on their site, after all. The Netflix rep that I got said it was a known problem and that they're working on a fix for it. The rep didn't know at specifics, or if the fix would be Netflix or Apples.

After the call I searched around for recent posts about the ATV and Netflix 5.1 issues and I found a handful of threads with people posting the same problems after the recent update - and even a few others that heard from Apple or Netflix that a fix is in progress.

5.1 works on Air video and Plex. I have been using them and no issues. Cant wait for Netflix to be fixed.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Minidust posted:

Is there anything on Netflix that works as a good 5.1 sound test? Like a specific scene in a movie that works really well? I'd like to check my setup.

As talked about before, I don't even think it works currently. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

So I tried a rented iTunes Movie and can confirm Dolby Digital works fine. Still no go on Netflix.

Hopefully they fix it soon.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Has anyone had the problem with the message "An error occurred while loading this content. Please try again later." popping up all the time? Doesn't matter what I'm watching, could be Netflix, could be HBOGO, could be WatchESPN. I'll get the message while in the middle of watching something. If I don't reset the ATV, I'll get the message again after a few minutes, but if I do reset, it might wait until the next day to do it. Either way, its pretty much a daily occurrence now.

All the time. Restarting fixes it for me too. Haven't done a factory restore because I am lazy. It's super annoying.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
For me it's Netflix YouTube or plex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

As someone growing up in the 80s, I look at these ultra HD TVs and think it looks loving horrible. Am I alone here?

The gently caress are you talking about

• Locked thread