Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm about to buy one of these. Is there a new Apple TV around the corner or should I just jump on the third edition? From what I can tell the Apple TVs have had a pretty long life cyce; I only ask because the iPad refresh seemed to happen more quickly than usual this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thwomp posted:

No one really knows. At least not until Apple figures out how to get their "Apple TV Set" past the networks and cable companies.

Joe Don Baker posted:

Just get the 3. It's only $100. Even if Apple released a new one soon, you could always flip it for 50 or 60 bucks.

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, there's really no telling when a new Apple TV will come out. There's no pattern to the releases at this point.
Thanks. Just ordered one! Been mulling over this purchase for a while, but now that I've got an HDMI-capable receiver it seems like the perfect time.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 6, 2012

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just wanna thank this thread for all its input because I just got an Apple TV and am loving it. :)

Smooth and pretty right out of the box. It blew my mind when I realized I could select the ATV as "speakers" when using iTunes on my laptop. Synced audio between the bedroom and living room now, without actually wiring stuff throughout the house, is pretty :black101:. Also even though I use the Harmony remote, the iPhone remote is an amazing tool. I use the Harmony for basic operation, and the iPhone for text entry or scrub-scrolling in a video. It's wonderful. :allears:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Did streaming music from "Computers" get all buggy after the latest iTunes update? I just replaced my old D Link router with an Apple Airport extreme (ethernet connection), expecting my ATV performance to improve drastically, but now my connection with the library keeps cutting out during playback.

EDIT: I think I may have figured it out. When I set up the new Apple Router, the new network was classified by Windows 7 as public. I changed it to "Home" and immediately started hearing music out of my ATV again.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 12, 2012

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

dutchbstrd posted:

I didn't know you could hack the Netflix app on devices to provide additional functionality.
The auto-play is an officially implemented function. It's just not on the ATV app.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I had a bunch of people over to watch the WWE Royal Rumble PPV last night. There was a live pre-show on the WWE iPhone app, so I used AirPlay to throw it onto the TV. It was a seamless experience and people were pretty amazed when I explained that this crystal-clear live video was coming from my phone. :)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My girlfriend has an Apple TV at her place, and I'm wondering if I can sign into my Netflix account over there. If I already have Netflix on my own Apple TV, is that gonna cause problems? Watching stuff at the same time shouldn't be an issue, since I only really use Netflix when I'm with her. So it'd be nice to have my account active on both ATV's, but I'm not sure if there's some cumbersome re-authorization process involved or if it's even doable in the first place.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Nope, I've done this and it works just fine. Netflix even allows you to watch from two devices simultaneously on one account (last time I checked.)

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Based on the Terms of Service, you can have Netflix activated on up to 6 different devices and watch simultaneously from two.
Thanks! Nice to know it's just based on total number of devices. I was worried that you couldn't have it on two of the same type of device or something like that.

Hmm, though now that you mention it, I should deactivate at least one of my consoles before I try this. Apple TV's the only thing I really play Netflix on anymore, so I won't miss having it on Xbox or PS3.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 19, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've been using Handbrake to convert old performance videos so that they can be added to iTunes and watched over Apple TV. I recently acquired some more old footage, but it's on a DVD (actual DVD video, not just data files burned to a disc). Is there a good program that can rip that directly into an iTunes format? Or do most people rip into whatever and just use Handbrake after the fact?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Diabolik900 posted:

OS X or Windows? You can rip DVDs directly in Handbrake, but if they are copy protected I don't think you can rip them in the Windows version.

gooby on rails posted:

Handbrake can handle the entire thing and you end up with an iTunes-compatible video. It's almost the exact same process as converting a file.
Well I feel dumb for not just trying that! Thanks, I'll give it a shot later (I'm on Windows 7).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Bucket Joneses posted:

So this is a really loving weird problem that I cannot figure out:

I renewed my Netflix subscription so I could watch the new Arrested Development episodes and when I try to play the episodes, I get the background music for the episodes but none of the dialogue. If I turn on closed captions I can see that there is dialogue being spoken but all I hear is the backing music.

Other content on Netflix plays without this issue and the new AD episodes are the only thing I can get to replicate the problem.

Does anyone know wtf?

EDIT: I tweeted @netflixhelps... we'll see if they have any ideas.
Do you have any other devices (or just a web browser) you can watch Netflix on to compare? If you get get regular sound elsewhere and still have the problem on the ATV, it's probably due to...

Cornjob posted:

Are you hooked up to a surround sound system? Sounds like you're missing the center channel.
...improperly-configured surround-sound!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I always felt like the PS3 Netflix interface made really bad use of the screen space. It's been forever since I've used it though so maybe they got better with that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm got a samsung plasma that I've had hooked up that way since I got my surround system and it's worked flawlessly for both my digital cable and appletv.
I've got a Samsung plasma and I know for a fact that Dolby Digital 5.1 can't pass through it. There's an optical out, but I believe the only way to get full use out of it is with HD over-the-air broadcasts (where the TV itself is the tuner).

For all I know they've changed that with newer models (mine is from early 2009) but it's worth pointing out, since it's an easily misunderstood thing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is WWE Network supposed to get a native app on Apple TV? ATV is definitely being touted as a supported device, but I'm not sure if it's just through airplay. Apparently WWE outsourced a lot of work to the MLB.tv crew, so I suppose that bodes well.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sweet, I just realized that I can share photos from my Windows 7 laptop to the ATV through iTunes. Same screen saver/slideshow options as the usual iCloud stuff. I had assumed local photo sharing was limited to iPhoto/Mac users. Was this always available or did it just show up in the latest iTunes update?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Airplay has definitely worked on the WWE App in the past. Last year I watched an entire PPV that way. I'd be surprised if that changed for the Network, since it's technically the same app.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
There are simple commands for un-pairing and re-pairing a remote. I think it's hold Left+Select for the former and hold Right+Select for the latter.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Huh, that's pretty neat. So I could use the TV or Cable remote to control Apple TV stuff. But I guess the arrow buttons would be active for both devices at once? I'm worried that I might be like browsing the cable guide, and accidentally buying stuff or changing settings on the Apple TV. Hmm.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Don't all your remotes have buttons for VCR, DVD, etc? Switch it to one of those modes.
Nah, I was thinking about my fiance's setup and she just has a TV and Cablevision remote to work with. Nothing in the way of a mode select that I can see on those remotes. However she's never expressed a desire to ditch the little ATV remote anyway, so I'm probably just going out of my way to solve a problem that doesn't exist. :shobon: For my own current setup, I just use a Harmony.

smackfu posted:

Cool, we had the same problem. When it worked it was great but sometimes it would just forget and show animal photos. Even though it was set for iCloud in the settings.
Glad to hear this! The aforementioned fiance's ATV kept putting up the animals too. Shared photostream worked sometimes, but it was a real dice roll.

On to something completely different -- I've considered re-ripping my CD library into a lossles format, but my current laptop doesn't have the HDD capacity for it. I thought about some different approaches and then I came across some info about NAS devices. Would the following setup work with an Apple TV right out of the box?
  • NAS hardwired to my router
  • iTunes software running on my current laptop
  • iTunes library pointed to a folder on the NAS
  • Media added to library through iTunes on the laptop, but stored on the NAS
  • Apple TV streams media that is stored on NAS, but technically being shared and managed through iTunes on the laptop

Would that work and basically give me the same usability I have now (iTunes on the laptop, sharing local files to the ATV)?

P.S. I wasn't really looking into Plex workarounds or things like that, but if I did, would it interfere in my use of subscription services like Netflix and WWE? Or is it the kind of thing that could be broken with a firmware update?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 14, 2014

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

haveblue posted:

That setup would work, yes. If the disk can be mounted in the Finder then its contents can go into iTunes, and if it's in iTunes it can go to the ATV (if it's in a supported format).
Cool. I should specify that I'm on Windows 7, but I imagine it would work the same way. I was trying to look this up online, but most of the results were people asking if the ATV could stream directly from the NAS without a computer running iTunes at all.

I'm fine without the direct streaming... just want to use a NAS as a gigantic library folder, with the laptop running the show like it always has. This could be good because I probably shouldn't be treating my laptop like a media server anyway.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there anything on Netflix that works as a good 5.1 sound test? Like a specific scene in a movie that works really well? I'd like to check my setup.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So Netflix auto-plays the next episode of a TV show now, like on other devices. When did this start?? Not sure if I actually want to use this feature, but I know a lot of people wanted to see it on Apple TV so that's cool. Is there a way to turn it off? Didn't see any options for it in the Netflix app itself.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My wife-to-be has her own Apple TV, so we're gonna end up with one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Is there any way to make both of our stuff show up under "Computers"? Or is there basically gonna be a "his" and "hers" ATV in this scenario?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Can an Apple TV be set to include ONLY music in the computers menu? Wondering if I can leave videos shared in iTunes, without them actually popping up on the TV. I feel like I had seen an option for this before, but it might have just been within iTunes itself.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do you get your subscribed podcasts to show up in the Podcasts app? I just get a message saying "You can browse for or subscribe to podcasts in Top Podcasts." I thought maybe the Apple TV just maintains its own independent list of subscriptions, but it seems like there's no option to add/subscribe from a search either. Can you really only add a podcast if you see it on the "Top Podcasts" screen?

Never mind, I see there's a "subscribe" option above the most recent podcast in the feed. Okay!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 11, 2014

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
"Channels" are looking really nice on the new YouTube app. But am I missing something obvious, or is there no way to actually view one's own channel? I thought a workaround might be to add myself as a subscription in browser-YouTube, but apparently you can't do that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
EDIT: whoops, forgot there was a dedicated Plex thread for this stuff

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 14, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm thinking of doing some lossless (ALAC) audio ripping. That'll play fine on an Apple TV, right? Like, the Apple TV itself wouldn't do anything to compromise the lossless quality? Just want to make sure before I go to all the effort, since the ATV would be the media player I use the most.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Have they shown what browsing a shared iTunes library will look like? That's my main method of playing music on my current ATV, since very little of my library was actually purchased through iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Have any demos shown the "Computers" app (or new ATV equivalent) yet? I stream my iTunes library a lot, and I'd like to see how that looks on the upcoming hardware. It'd be neat if they prettied it up and made it more Plex-like.

• Locked thread