Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Minidust posted:

Is WWE Network supposed to get a native app on Apple TV? ATV is definitely being touted as a supported device, but I'm not sure if it's just through airplay. Apparently WWE outsourced a lot of work to the MLB.tv crew, so I suppose that bodes well.

Is Watch ABC ever going to, y'know, work?

I've Google searched, I've called Apple, I've called the Watch ABC support, and the response has been, "Yeah, we've gotten a lot of these complaints." That's great, but I don't know that they are even looking at it. If they cant get the Apple TV app to work, they could at least allow airplay on the iPhone/iPad app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Voodoo posted:

It was annoying when WatchABC recently shifted to requiring a television subscription login to watch stuff on the aTV app. I get ABC live for free OTA, so why the heck should I need to login if I want to episodes of shows that I can watch online via an iPad for free *without* logging in (watching live on the ipad requires login). It's they've taken one-step forward by releasing an aTV app) then two-steps backwards (requiring login to watch free(w/commericals) stuff).

I can't even put my cable info in, the app will not load. It attempts for what feels like 3 minutes, then it dumps back to the home screen. The Disney apps all exhibit the same behavior, but I don't really care about those.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

choobs posted:

You should try restoring to factory and resetting it up, and if that doesn't work, reload the software: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4367

No dice on either--both apple support and abc support had me do this, and I tried it before calling them and repeated both a fourth time just now as well. I'm thinking it's either on ABCs end, or I need to wait for a software update.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

vas0line posted:

Not really. There would still not be a way to get ATV -> Speakers without a DAC and amplifier.
This is for a very simple ATV watching/music listening setup... We're not big home theaterers.

If you hook the speakers to the airport, you can use the ATV to automatically put out audio over airplay to said speakers. That is exactly how I do this, and it works fine.

EDIT: That means no DAC and no Amp. I use this speaker, but use the wired connection.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 9, 2014

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Thinking of getting one of these. One question: can anyone with Comcast tell me of the HBO Go app works with it? HBO Go won't work with Comcast on my PS3 is why I'm asking.

The only supported content provider that doesn't seem to work is ABC/Disney. I'm not sure if that is comcast, everyone seems to be blaming everyone else when I call support lines.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

echobucket posted:

If you want slick you should try the Logitech harmony smart remote. It has a base station that stays in place and then a rf remote. So I press an activity button and I don't have to sit there pointing the remote the entire time the activity is playing. It's great.

I think I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking this, but what is an 'activity?'

Also, has anyone's airplay had a lag between audio and video since the aTV updated?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, I tried that and almost every other fix you could find by searching Google.

Filed a bug report with Apple and I'm just going to wait a while (probably until Windows 10 launches) before messing with it all again.

Mine does the same, but eventually (5 - 7 minutes of spinning circle) plays the content. Loading one video from home sharing usually seems to remove the ridiculius load from subsequent videos, so I figured it's just because I'm on a 6 year old imac as the desktop and itunes runs like poo poo on it anyway.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Legdiian posted:

When did everyone forget that Apple devices have their own price points and people will buy them anyway?

The Apple TV hasn't sold well for the previous 3 device iterations. Apple can certainly can make an Apple TV that will sell at the $200 price point, but so far they've made three that didn't sell at the $100 price point so it's not some kind of outrageous claim that the Apple TV might be misguided.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Thwomp posted:

25 million units over three years isn't selling units? Sure, the Chromecast has sold 17 million over the last two years but one is/was $100 and the other was $35.

The original AppleTV was the hobby that Steve Jobs trotted out and went no-where sales-wise.

If you're going to play the unit sales game for companies that don't release unit sales numbers, all estimates put Roku a wide berth beyond Apple TV in units.

I'm not claiming that the Apple TV is unprofitable for Apple, or that the next Apple TV won't sell incredibly well. I'm not claiming that Apple doesn't have the ability and know-how to sell an Apple TV at $200. But when we don't know what they're releasing or what kind of marketing push they're going to give it, it's absolutely fair to say things skeptical of a $200 Apple TV. Hell, if the rumor that the ATV3 is sticking around as a lower price point option, it's entirely possible that they're releasing the $200 Apple TV with the sole intent of making the current one look more attractive at whatever price point it's at. The 16GB iphones that are currently for sale (and many other things) show that Apple doesn't mind releasing something that is not suited to the average user that makes what is suited to them more attractive.

Apple is currently having issues with Home Sharing. So they're still willing to sacrifice satisfaction in that regard to ameliorate other avenues for growth they see in the business. Home sharing is a significant (but not necessarily the lion's share) part of why people have bought Apple TVs in the past, so when a feature of them has not only been hindered in the past but is currently hindered right this minute, it's still possible that Apple doesn't see a ton of growth in TV yet.

Hell, it's possible Apple is willing to have a new, feature-loaded Apple TV not directly turn a profit just to shut all of us up in requesting new ones. It's not likely, but it's possible.

Really, my whole point is, if you're going to be playing the speculation game with Apple you probably don't want to be closing off possible outcomes. The post I was replying to was only doing that, and in a slightly elitist way.

Bass Bottles posted:

Edit: I feel like the "hobby" label is just an excuse for poor sales. It's a fully realized product, same as everything else they sell. They should have called the Apple Watch a hobby but they were overconfident and now it's probably too late to go back.

I disagree with Bass here about the hobby level, because Apple has never once shown that the Apple TV takes precedence over any other product they sell. That doesn't mean that I think that Bass is wrong for thinking it, because it's just as possible with the facts laid on paper that Bass is correct. Whether or not it's a hobby is not a thing that can be classified as fact or not, so both opinions are valid, as is any speculation that is grounded even somewhat in reality.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Unless you bought a TV in the last year, good look getting your TV to play the 4K video from your non-ATV device.

...what the gently caress is the point of this statement?

It’s disappointing that the revamped atv doesn’t ha e 4k. It’s not an obscene thing to expect when the product line up to here hasn’t been getting refreshed on a yearly scale.

Wriststraps are the new iphone socks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ufarn posted:

"Apps" are also a very diluted concept at this point. "Apps" also include "channels", so it's really exciting for cordcutters or people who've had to watch videos on a crappy website up until this point. It'll move us away from the web in general towards native apps, which is great, because 99% are awfully designed.

AirPlay is fantastic - when it works. I game my mom my old iPad and a new ATV, and she no longer has to hook up her MacBook up to her TV to watch online video.

(Twitch AirPlay is total poo poo for one - but with the new Apple TV, we'll no longer have to rely on AirPlay to the extent that we do. It'll also be a big deal for eSports and watching livestreamers, if that's your thing.)

What do you think the ’concept’ of apps is or was?

What platform do you watch twitch on and think ’yes, this is how I like to view and interact with content? ‘

Why do you think that companies who can’t make a good product following the open standards of the web will suddenly excel with purpose built apps?

Don’t get me wrong, the ability to install apps is a feature ATV 1st gen should’ve shipped with. But many of the current applications on ATV don’t work properly all the time and that’s with Apple giving much stricter oversight than I’d expect moving forward.

The ios app store is still unnavigable poo poo, filled with 10 throwaway search result scamming apps for every decent result.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Laserface posted:

Can an AppleTV (any of them) act in a similar manner to a airport express?

like it shows up as a set of speakers in my iTunes on my mac and lets me pipe the music to them?

Yes. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

Amazon just hit back pretty hard against the new Apple TV.

The new Fire TV does 4k, Siri-esque voice search, 802.11ac MIMO wifi, HEVC decoding, MAYDAY tech support help for your beloved elders, and it has a microSD slot (for up to 128gb), plus the game controller has a headphone jack!!!!!!!!!!!! (They should have put that in the regular remote, too. It's seriously the biggest feature imo)

All that for only $100.

It's honestly pretty tempting, but I'll probably still get the Apple TV because of airplay, iTunes, and the fact that developers will always favor iOS over Android so it will probably have a better app selection eventually. This probably makes me a sucker.

Sucker.

But for real don't buy this for what you imagine it might become, buy whatever suits your current needs, which may also be an ATV3 and/or Chromecast. This really feels like a second stab at a 1st gen Apple Product than a refresh to the line of Apple TV's they had before, and we all know never to buy 1st gen Apple products. Unless you're trying to play games, in which case see my first statement.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

I actually wouldn't buy either any time soon because my ATV3 works fine, but eventually I'll probably want a device with an actual App Store.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Until some killer app shows up, I don't see much of a need to upgrade. I really just wanted to call you sucker, then figured might as well justify it a bit further. Otherwise it just seems mean!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Amazon to stop selling Apple TV (and Chromecast) because Amazon refuses to make their content available on them.

Hell, even a month ago they could've lied and claimed the hold up was on Apple's end, but this is the exact type of practices that ensured iTunes would be the garbage that it is.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Last Chance posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this

I didn't word it very well at all.

A month ago, before the Apple September event, Amazon could've claimed that they weren't going to continue selling Apple TVs because their content wasn't available on aTV. It still would've been disingenuous, as Amazon is the one actively avoiding making their content available there (and they're the ones keeping their content from Chromecast as well), but more believable. Trying to pretend the two don't exist is doing Amazon and their Prime Instant Video service no help, and attempting to live in this pretend monopoly where they have no competition will only do them harm; especially as every estimation I've seen says other than fire sticks Amazon operates at a loss on their hardware.

iTunes being a garbage program, I believe, is a result of Apple acting the same way--the difference being that Apple functionally did control the market on PMPs, so despite it being a terrible user experience they succeeded. Amazon's discontinuation of sales of Apple TV won't give them the advantage that Apple had back then, and it's foolish of them to try.

Chromecast isn't the runaway success that some predicted, but I'd argue it still has enough of a userbase that Amazon is pretending half the market doesn't exist here, and it's entirely their fault that their content isn't available on either device.

Tl;dr I have no clue what Amazon is trying to accomplish, but I doubt this will help them in any of their goals.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

qirex posted:

To call iTunes a "garbage program" is a bit specious since literally hundreds of millions of people have used it without issue. Is it garbage because its core functionality of selling songs, tv shows and movies doesn't work? That part works fine. If it doesn't fit your specific use case that's OK but don't project what you want to the like half a billion people who managed to use it just fine.

Half a billion users doesn't mean half a billion satisfied users. iTunes is a bloated program that hogs up too many resources to accomplish any one goal as well as it could. The number of users I end up helping navigate iTunes to complete tasks that they believed to be simple when investing into the ecosystem is non-trivial. They also obviously believe something needs to change with the way they've been shuffling the interface and preferences. I stand by my "garbage program" statement.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised in a few months time if Apple music subs begin to really reflect the user dissatisfaction (Have to give it time since the free trial just ran out, and people are less likely to notice until they receive a billing statement or three).

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 1, 2015

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Since Apple would be handling the refunds that would undoubtedly come when people download a game then realize they can't play it, I completely understand Apple requiring the game to work with the in-box remote.

Apple makes money hand over fist from games like Clash of Clans and Puzzle and Dragons, and until they stop I doubt they much care about dissatisfaction from 'real gamers.' Ensuring satisfaction amongst that userbase is much more important.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MickRaider posted:

Times I use my AppleTV Remote:

1) Hard reset
2) Setting up internet to use the Remote app

[/list]

You forgot when the internet goes out and you're suddenly only watching local network media

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MickRaider posted:

Wouldn't the remote app still work without Internet? Wifi would still work

Wifi would work, but I always disconnect from it when it stops providing internet services myself so as to keep something connected to the net.

Edit:

puppy party posted:

This happens to me all the time in addition to the touch controls being hella finicky.

Is there a way to move only one item up/down/left/right? I'm always moving weird combinations of 2 and 3 like it's god damned chutes and ladders.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Edit: Double post

• Locked thread