Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Done with my Boxee and just picked up the new ATV. What should I expect when I get home to set it up to Airplay from my iPad and Airvideo? I already have the server running on my Win7 PC and it works to the iPad/iPhone. Should I keep a charger next to my couch for the iPad while watching? Quality-wise it works reasonably well? Aside from that, I'm (im)patiently waiting for the ATV3 jailbreak to put XBMC natively on the puppy. I imagine it'll be very solid with the boost in processor and all.

Never played around with an ATV, aside from the Airplay/XBMC, what other sweet things does it do well that I should be super impressed with. I don't have Netflix or subscribe to any other online services. ESPN3 work?

If the server is already running, you should be good to go. Just hit the airplay button once you start live converting your video and it'll pop up on the appletv almost immediately. Quality is pretty good for converting stuff on the fly and sending it wirelessly to an aTV.

And since the iPad has a huge rear end battery, I wouldn't worry about needing a charger right there. Just set it to charge at night and it'll be golden.

Don't hold your breath for an aTV3 jailbreak. It's in the OP but someone will need to find a new hardware exploit to make it work again. I wonder if the aTV2 will eventually see higher demand for used units than aTV3 since it's jailbreakable (provided a new hardware exploit isn't found)?

Other sweet stuff with aTV: Mirroring is fun to mess with but I find it's more useless. You can already send video, audio, and pictures (i think) via airplay so why mirror? I can see the usefulness in a presentation setting.

Also, having an aTV really opens up a good avenue for cutting the cable tv cord long term. My wife and I just cut it and the only thing it really needs is native Hulu support. You can get it via jailbreak but Hulu has a history of actively fighting workarounds to get it into jailbroken devices. I happened to have an old WD TV Live Plus sitting around so that's set up for Hulu Plus full time. I assume a cheap Roku box could do the same.

Grab a $35-40 Mofu Leaf antenna (works surprising well), a Hulu-capable player/jailbroken aTV and an aTV for stuff not found online anywhere else (via iTunes Season passes) and you're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Enthusiast posted:

Is there an app that can let me stream my old family home movies from my Windows 7 laptop to Apple TV and my iPad? Even at the same time?

Can something like Air Video help me with this?

AirVideo will be able to convert the video on the fly and stream it to your iPad (which you can then send to your Apple TV via AirPlay).

Air Video won't stream directly to the Apple TV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Moeru posted:

* I can rent a movie or TV episode and watch it during the rental period OR I can purchase it and it lives on my HD for watching any time correct?

Slight correction: When you purchase a movie/tv show, you don't download it to the ATV. You'll stream it to the ATV from the iTunes servers whenever you watch it.

You can still download it to an iDevice or your iTunes install though and watch it whenever.

And you're right on the seasons pass. For currently running series, it's like buying the DVD set before the season is done airing and iTunes can send you email notices when a new episode is available for viewing. For past seasons, it's just a digital DVD set.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Whenever the power goes out or I disconnect my cable internet, the apple tv requires a restart after the network comes back up or I'll get that screen.

When you've got no connection, it wont load any of the apps.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's BGR but rumor has it Apple is going to unveil a SDK for the Apple TV next week.

Here's hoping.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Hulu will come once Apple does two things:

1) Allows apps on the AppleTV
2) Works out their whole iTV product/service

You can bet whatever iTunes backed service Apple manages to create for their Apple-branded TV set will also be ported to AppleTV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I know I can mirror the Hulu app off the iPad to an aTV. It doesn't look great and doesn't fill the TV screen but it works.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, airplay can be restricted by the app so it's on Hulu to enable support for it. But they seem to be holding out for whatever reason/agreement with Apple.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

This incremental stuff is just teasing me Apple. Give me the big innovation already!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

If you don't mind running your poo poo through handbrake (what I do), or getting your content from iTunes/NetFlix, it's a really good device.

Speaking of handbrake, is there any way to skip needless video conversion? I've read that most often, it's just audio that needs to be converted to get a movie file to play on an Apple TV (or other iOS device).

Is there some settings to look for in handbrake? Or something in the stats/details of a file to see if it really requires the long conversion that's typical in handbrake?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Generally, I use handbrake on long-term storage. Movies and stuff I want to keep in my iTunes library at all times for streaming to my aTV2 or iDevices.

I've also got AirVideo for more short-term mobile video watching.

I was just curious if it was possible to eliminate unnecessary converting time. Sounds like I could but not without getting into a lot of nitty gritty video details.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'll definitely give it a shot. It's not quite as one-touch-and-done as Handbrake but might be worth it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bobzmuda posted:

I agree. But ATVFlash is also dead simple and highly integrated into the main menu, both key for me since my wife can't be fussed to learn something she thinks is more complicated than it needs to be.

See, I love what ATVFlash does after reading up on it. While some people may want most customization out of their media player ala XBMC, I'm fine with Apple's default interface. It's also easy for my wife to use and understand.

With some changes in the pipeline with iOS6 and rumors speculating about changes to iTunes coming in the fall, I really hope they open up the AppleTV or at least allow Hulu to add an app to the homescreen. I'd buy multiple AppleTVs if they just allowed Hulu.
edit:

The Aphasian posted:

I'm thinking about getting the Apple TV 3 or a WD TV to replace my old acer revo that's always had issues with HD content.

The main things I would like to do are stream my own video (normally mkvs), Netflix, Spotify, some YouTube. I know the vanilla Apple TV can't stream mkv, but hopefully a jailbreak for the 3 is around the corner, and I have the iPad for airplay. Also very important is an interface simple and aesthetically pleasing enough for my wife to use without issue.

My main questions are

1. How is the video/audio quality when streaming from the iPad? Is the image cropped? I really only need 720p for now (old 60" plasma). Alternatively I can convert my files as needed, but I'm hoping the jailbreak is inevitable, even if it won't be immediate.

2. Which is more flexible after jailbreaking, WD TV or the Apple TV?

1) The video is really good. Airvideo lets you dial the quality settings but only up to 720p. They've said they plan to work out 1080p support with the new iPad but they've also said it's going to take a while. I've also found that even streaming 1080p videos via iTunes Home Sharing can be a bit iffy.

2) Honestly, maybe the WDTV only because it can do more formats natively. But Apple TV presents a better interface and offers more side benefits if you've got other apple products (airplay, mirroring, etc).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 6, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

puppy party posted:

I was very excited at the idea of picking up Mountain Lion today so that I can push movies straight from my iMac to my ATV3. However, I'm reading that AirPlay won't work on any macs without a Sandy Bridge processor... which sucks as I have an early '09 Mac.

Are there any other alternative options for pushing media straight from my desktop to ATV3?

I keep hearing AirParrot, while not free, works just fine.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Hell loving yes: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/hulu-plus-app-live-on-apple-tv/

Gonna get this rocking when I get home from work.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

choobs posted:

That's pretty cool. I wonder if they'll ever do Amazon VOD/Prime.

It depends on the state of Amazon's relationship with Apple. Since you need a Prime membership to get Amazon's VOD, Amazon would need to allow Apple to take a cut.

Doesn't the Kindle apps for iOS devices lack all the shopping/membership sign up stuff because Amazon didn't want to give up that percentage?

Obviously, it appears Apple and Hulu have agreed to get past this issue.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Aphasian posted:

More on topic: I haven't looked at Hulu in years, since before they had a paid model. Is it worth it if I already have Netflix? My main concerns are quality and ads--the only commercials I see right now are streaming The Daily Show and it's often the same one or two commercials repeated endlessly.

It's great for cord cutting but only if your shows are on it. For the most part, it carries everything that's currently airing and puts them up the day after.

I like to think of it as an internet DVR (with an ad or two per break which I can live with). I watch what I want to when it airs, everything else mostly gets covered by Hulu+. Obviously there are exceptions and you should always check first to see if it'll work for you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Blocked on mobile? Can you give some examples?

I only ask because I never encountered a show that wasn't available on my iPad/iPhone but was on the website.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Watched tags, Set grouping, can sync libraries across multiple devices, much more detailed meta data, more flexibility when it comes to artwork and metadata sources, more choices in skins....I could go on and on. ATV is great if you're 100% invested in the ecosystem, but don't act like XBMC isn't a superior media center in almost every other way*.

*except Netflix

I've always found that XBMC suffers/benefits from too much customization/options (much like Android does). Although both have gotten better of late.

If you want to spend a while tweaking it to look awesome and display information out to wazoo to impress people, go for it.

Do you want it to present everything a bit more simply and spend less time setting stuff up? Apple TV's UI does just fine. it also helps that it's so simple I don't have to worry about explaining how it works to anyone else.

I'll also vote that I enjoyed the aTV Flash Media UI more precisely because it aped Apple's conventions.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm relatively new to the ecosystem, isn't there a way for iTunes to rip a music CD to your library? I'm sure if it weren't for the encryption problem there would be a similar mechanism for DVDs, but there's an obvious legal liability there.

Yes, iTunes can rip CDs for you into a few different formats.

I want to say music companies relented at some previous point in the early 2000s and allowed CD ripping (since anyone who wanted to pretty much could at that point).

DVDs are not allowed to be ripped because the film industry is nowhere near that point yet (and probably never will be).

At least they offer their films digitally in iTunes (a testament to the reach of Apple's marketplace). Otherwise we'd probably be stuck with the god-awful Ultraviolet or something worse.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

jdiboise posted:

I have a bunch of content organized into folders on a NAS. Do I still have to put it all into iTunes and keep it organized in iTunes for an Apple TV to work, or can an Apple TV index files on my NAS?

Gotta run it through iTunes if you want it showing up under the My Computers section.

Unless you want to JB and install Plex.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

I never found anything after looking for drat near a month. In fact the only Windows based MP4 tagger I found that worked worth a drat is Meta-X from Dan Hinsley. I paid 10 bucks for a copy and it was totally worth it. http://www.danhinsley.com/

I'll second this recommendation for a tagging-only solution.

Since then, I've discovered MkvtoMP4 which adds all the metadata as you convert files into an iTunes compatible format. Works really well even with TV Shows (sometime Meta-X is less than great at).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Which generation is your AppleTV? Gen 2 or the most recent Gen 3?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Or you could use this too: MKVtoMP4.

It doesn't come with a bunch of help/manuals but once you get the hang of it, it'll convert to MP4 in a fraction of the time that Handbrake takes. And you can queue up a bunch of files to convert all at once.

Plus, it also imports artwork and media ID tags as well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ezrem posted:

They're never going to bring over the App Store, are they?

I'd say it'll probably happen only if Apple can convince the TV Studios/Hollywood to allow them to make their AppleTV TV Set/Cable box/whatever it is. It's the thing that Steve Jobs was quoted as saying he finally cracked [figuring out how to make streaming tv and regular tv work together].

However, rumors and stories have surfaced that the networks/studios aren't hopping on board as quickly or easily as Apple would like (big surprise).

If it does finally happen, I'd expect to see the AppleTV platform grow with apps (the NBC AppleTV app, the AMC app, etc).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

Yeah, video quality is great. It's really starting to bug me that it's only in stereo though... I wonder if that will ever change.

Maybe if they can ever figure out how to do 1080p but I've heard that's a alongshot given how much processing power it would require.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

So I just got an Apple TV to go along with my new iPhone. It's really slick looking, even though there are some apps it should have but doesn't (HBO Go, Cinemax Go, Showtime Anytime, etc.). Does anyone know if there are currently any plans on bringing any of those to Apple TV, or is it just a kind of abandoned, forgotten piece of hardware at this point?

I'll just repost my answer to this same question when it was posed a few pages back.

Thwomp posted:

I'd say it'll probably happen only if Apple can convince the TV Studios/Hollywood to allow them to make their AppleTV TV Set/Cable box/whatever it is. It's the thing that Steve Jobs was quoted as saying he finally cracked [figuring out how to make streaming tv and regular tv work together].

However, rumors and stories have surfaced that the networks/studios aren't hopping on board as quickly or easily as Apple would like (big surprise).

If it does finally happen, I'd expect to see the AppleTV platform grow with apps (the NBC AppleTV app, the AMC app, etc).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

What I'd really like is just the Comcast/Xfinity app on there. You already have to be a cable subscriber to use it, and it's out on all the mobile devices and such, as well as having a browser based equivalent. If I had that I could deal with the Go/Anytime apps not being up because most of that functionality is in the Xfinity thing already. I also don't see how Roku and Boxee have these apps when Apple doesn't, that's the part that baffles me.

Apple wants their cut. Simple as that. Comcast isn't about to let Apple get any of their subscriber money (or cut into their business model).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

I'm about to buy one of these. Is there a new Apple TV around the corner or should I just jump on the third edition? From what I can tell the Apple TVs have had a pretty long life cyce; I only ask because the iPad refresh seemed to happen more quickly than usual this year.

No one really knows. At least not until Apple figures out how to get their "Apple TV Set" past the networks and cable companies.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

I just sold my Apple TV first gen for 81 dollars on Ebay.

I should have upgraded a long time ago, I guess people really want to jailbreak them?

By first gen, do you mean the Apple TV that came with a hard drive?

Because I don't think those got the current AppleTV menu/features/OS

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having issues connecting their AppleTV to their iTunes Home Share since going to iTunes 11?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've checked it several times.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Tim Cook said himself that TV is the one thing no one has invented on in a really long time and they are quite seriously looking into it.

They've been working on it for quite some time but the issue is always the content providers (studios, networks, etc). They want to keep their channels alive through bundles and also want their cut.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Anyone having issues connecting their AppleTV to their iTunes Home Share since going to iTunes 11?

Legdiian posted:

Yes. Just had this issue at a clients house. Have not fixed it yet. Using an AppleTV 3 and iTunes 11 running on an iMac with Mountain Lion.

I just appeared to find a fix for this (for anyone who is still suffering this issue). Upgrading to iTunes 11.0.1 and the newest AppleTV update didn't help.

Turn off IPv6 (in Windows search for 'View Network Connections, Properties, and uncheck the IPv6 box) in your settings and reboot. My iTunes immediately saw my AppleTV was there.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having issues with their aTV outputting 5.1 surround sound?

Everything was fine until one of the last updates and my aTVs are downmixing all my surround channels to stereo.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
As in forced Dolby Digital, yup.

Edit: well poo poo, it's working again. Maybe a reset was needed. Probably a gremlin.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 4, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

MkvToMp4 does the job on windows most of the time - changing the container and re-encoding the audio if needed. It occasionally works with other files as well (I've had it work with AVI files encoded as XViD and MP3)

edit: poo poo, missed the part about metadata and coverart - no idea for that sorry mate.

Actually, mkvtomp4 will add all the metadata too. It'll also check if iTunes has the movie and pull all the iTunes metadata and art.

I actually just used handbrake because mkvtomp4 couldn't successfully convert some file. Then I ran mkvtomp4 to add all the metadata. It only took 2 minutes to run through so both programs can be useful.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

DangerKat posted:

Thank you for this, I was doing a lot of the work manually and, well, that was just being stupid.

e: Unrelated question for anyone... with Hulu Plus, is there a way to prevent shows in your favorites from adding episodes to the queue from past seasons/already watched? It's kind of annoying to have a show like South Park add 14 new episodes to the queue randomly.

I'm not sure exactly why Hulu Plus does that. I believe it has something to do with how they re-add/classify old episodes but I'm not positive.

I do agree that it's really annoying.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I found that my surround sound got disabled with one of the recent updates and IPv6 turned on in Windows. All my home sharing played only in stereo.

Try not forcing IPv6 maybe? Not sure if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've also had zero issues with home sharing outside of a couple of little hiccups.

What's funny is that the AppleTV handles video streams over Home Sharing way better than an iPad does.

• Locked thread