Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Posted in the last thread and never got a reply, but here's my problem:

Latest Gen Apple TV
iMac with two user accounts (Man & Wife)
Each iMac user account has its own iTunes library (Man's Library and Wife's Library)
Macbook air

All devices use the same Home Sharing ID

The AppleTV can always "see" itunes libraries that are open however it will only be able to "see" the media in those libraries if it is the first library opened when booting the computer. For instance, if I reboot the iMac, log into my account and open itunes, then switch to my wife's account, then open iTunes, the ATV will "see" both libraries but will only access content from Mine (my wife's will not work). The reverse is true.

What's weird is that the macbook air, can simultaneously stream from both libraries, so it doesn't seem like an iMac problem, it seems like an ATV problem.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Seems awful if it can only access one even though it can see both.

Thoughts?

I saw some rumblings about turning off IPV6 on the Macs in order to make Airplay happier. You might try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

Is Airparrot lag-free when mirroring video content. For example if I played something in VLC and mirrored it, how would it look?

I've tried it with the Hulu desktop app. It's a bit laggy and the quality of the picture suffers as it reencodes the screen into a lower bitrate. That being said, I'm on a G wifi network, I haven't tried it on an N network to see if it does a better job.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm wired on both ends so I'll give it a shot. It's only ten bucks.

I just tried this on my i5 quad core iMac (which is wired) to the Apple TV. Running at 1280x720 (extended desktop mode) Hulu and Playing movies back via Quicktime was acceptable. You can play with the quality settings in AirParrot depending on the power of your system.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Actually thinking my hdmi port is busted. That would explain why the boxee had issues as well as the ATV. Going to test out my Xbox and see if that has issues. May be a good time to replace the set. :)

It's possible if your tv is old enough it has an older incompatible version of HDMI on it. Perhaps one that doesn't support HDCP or something.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

dox posted:

AirParrot does the same thing, but neither have the capability to really deliver a flawless stream due to hardware (and bandwidth?) limitations. But it still works and I can watch a live sports stream on my TV with relative success (it plays).

I'm on an 802.11g network and AirParrot is pretty laggy over Wifi.

However, using it on my 27" iMac which is wired (and the AppleTV is wired as well) it's actually pretty good.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah i sold my ATV2 for $160... is there any reason why the ATV3 can't be jailbroken?

Holy crap. I should sell my ATV2 then since I'm not interested in jailbreaking.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

This. There are so many ways of working around the limitations of a non–jailbroken ATV. The only thing you don't get is the ability to browse you content on the ATV itself ala XBMC or PLEX. (Unless you go the route of converting your content to iTunes format which is trivial if it's already h264 encoded.)

See, I went the route of using my quad core i5 iMac to reencode stuff and stick it into my iTunes library. Works a treat and I can just use the native Apple TV UI to browse my movies and shows.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Once you use XBMC and all it's cover art glory you can never go back to the native Apple TV UI.

The Apple TV UI looks fine, is fast, easy to navigate and has cover art. Not sure why I'd need something else that is buggier. (Everytime I've ever used XBMC or Plex on ANY platform, it hasn't been as reliable as the Apple TV built in software)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

EC posted:

Watched tags, Set grouping, can sync libraries across multiple devices, much more detailed meta data, more flexibility when it comes to artwork and metadata sources, more choices in skins....I could go on and on. ATV is great if you're 100% invested in the ecosystem, but don't act like XBMC isn't a superior media center in almost every other way*.

*except Netflix

I am using the iOS ecosystem so I don't need XBMC. I don't know what "watched tags" or "set grouping" are. And I use iVI which adds metadata to my m4v files DIRECTLY, and I can customize if I want (but it does a great job in automatic mode).

So don't pretend that the default experience can't be great.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

EC posted:

I'd argue that XBMC is way, way easier than it used to be nowadays. Set content, let it scan, and it'll do it's thing. You almost never have to edit an XML file! :v:

The default ATV interface is great, I just happen to find XBMC much better for my needs. :)

Watched tags let you know what you've watched and what you haven't, making it easier to find your place in a TV series. Set grouping is the ability to group a set of movies together under one item in your library. So instead of scrolling through 20 Friday the 13th movies, there's just one menu item.

Okay, just so everyone knows, iTunes keeps track of what files you've watched as well. There's even "unwatched" sections in the Library view on the Apple TV.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

smackfu posted:

In other news, wow, if you have a spare Apple TV 2 that you aren't jailbreaking, now is the time to sell. I got $150 for mine in about 10 minutes on eBay. (So my price was probably too low.)

Mine just sold for $157.50. I was kinda hoping for me, but hey, I made $50.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I'm having the ethernet problem, and I just thought Apple's servers were hosed. Mine was that Photostream wasn't loading. Switching to Wifi made it magically start working again.

At the bottom of that thread there's an apple dude asking people to send him info about their routers and stuff, I'm definitely going to send mine in to help in fixing this.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 6, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
9 to 5 mac says that in the lastest apple tv beta, bluetooth keyboard support is there.

Finally.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/12/08/apples-upcoming-ios-update-to-unlock-full-bluetooth-keyboard-control-for-apple-tv/

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

FishBulb posted:

Yeah obviously I just never realized the hardware was there because why would it be and not be turned on?

Probably because the Wifi chipset they used in the Apple TV has bluetooth built into the same chip.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
With the new bluetooth keyboard support I was thinking about getting something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/DBTech-Mini-W...etooth+keyboard

or

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Wir...etooth+keyboard

Someone should make a bluetooth remote control for the Apple TV with a flip open keyboard :) that would be cool. (kickstarter project anyone?)

Edit: I just found this one

http://www.pandawill.com/rii-mini-i6-2nd-bluetooth-wireless-keyboard-universal-remote-control-2-in-1-white-p47588.html

Not sure I'm willing to throw $50 to a site I've never heard of for one though.

Edit2: After doing more research, the buttons on the back turn out to be IR not bluetooth. :(

echobucket fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 28, 2013

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I know that, but my point is to use it you have to be on the same iTunes account as the ATV. It doesn't work like AirPlay. I was hoping the BT thing would fix that.

That is an interesting idea. I will try it when I get home.

I have an apple id that I use as the "family" apple id. And it's the one that all Apps, Music, Books, Movies and TV Shows are bought with. It's also the one used for the Apple TVs and the Remote App and Home Sharing.

Then everyone has their own Apple ID for syncing iCloud and Contacts and Calendars etc.

It's a good method to use.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Feenix posted:

When I started up my ATV3 and turned on the TV I heard Siri telling me some poo poo (at the setup screen) but I didn't really catch what she said.

Is Siri on the ATV3?? Or was that just a pre-recorded help text for setup?

It's the voiceover support for people with visual disabilities. It's not siri.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
My hope for the new Apple TV is a bluetooth remote.

And the ability to buy that remote for older Apple TVs.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Suqit posted:

Do you not have an iphone or ipod or iPad to run remote on?

I want real buttons. Using a touch screen remote sucks because you have to try to look at your touchscreen and the screen of the Apple TV at the same time.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Suqit posted:

Interesting. I like the no buttons because its basically one big button; tap to pause or resume, swipe to rewind or ff.

I always miss the menu options I'm trying to hit when swiping. It's just awkward.

What I really wish was that the entire Apple TV Interface (the menu hierarchy) was available in the remote app. Then I could navigate to anywhere in the Apple TV interface and start something playing by just looking at my iOS screen.

In fact, the entire idea of using the iPhone/iPad as a traditional remote control is kind of dumb when you can just put the user interaction right on the device.

Then the only time you would have to look up at the TV would be when you actually start watching something.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

Yeah, besides the TV episode issue I like it. How often are the third party people allowed to update their apps? This is probably the most requested change. Also, I really wish that Netflix still gave me the ability to hide already watched movies/shows, since I'm a movie whore with 1,776 movies rated (Revolution!) and half my "recommended for you" film's I've already seen. This is more cross platform though and probably has something to do with a dwindling streaming library lately.

I'm not sure that Netflix wrote the ATV app. More than likely Apple wrote it and has a deal where they can talk to netflix's APIs.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Elysium posted:

Just got my Apple TV. Works great, but is there any way to get rid of the letter boxing when mirroring apps from an iPhone or iPad? I understand that a 4:3 iPad will obviously have to have vertical letter boxing on a 16:9 TV, but there is also inexplicably horizontal letter boxing so that my mirrored app has black bars going all the way around it. I don't really see why it shouldn't match the top and bottom of the app to the top and bottom of the TV, regardless of what aspect ratio it is running.

You need to go into the settings and turn off overscan. I can't remember which menu it is on since I'm not sitting in front of my Apple TV

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Secx posted:

I have a jailbroken ATV2 with XBMC.

I want to be give it to my mom so she can watch her Korean dramas. The only problem is that the websites she streams them from use Flash.

Is there a way to AirPlay the flash video from her computer to the ATV?

So far, my research shows that the atv flash black + bluetooth keyboard is the only option.

Get her a macbook Air, all the new macs can airplay the whole screen to the Apple TV. It's super useful.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

It's pretty awesome. I don't know how it performs over wifi, but on a wired connection, it's lag-free and you can't tell it's basically a screencap.

I have a 2012 15" MBP and it's pretty awesome on 802.11n Wifi. I watched the Enhanced feed of the SOTU speech the other night airplaying the MBP to the AppleTV in the bedroom. It worked great.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Inside Outside posted:

Shouldn't my entire iTunes library be visible through the music app on my Apple TV? The only thing that shows up is music I purchased directly through iTunes. I have Home Sharing turned on on both my Apple TV and my iMac, so I don't know what the deal is. I feel like it worked when I first set it up.

e: Ugh, I'm a dummy. You have to go through Computers, then Music.

If you pay for iTunes Match it all shows up under the music category.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I may or may not have tried this the other day, and I may or may not have thought it was the coolest thing ever.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/apple-tv-to-get-automatic-touch-to-configure-setup-via-bluetooth-40-ios-7

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
What the hell is up with the Disney channel icons?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's a mixed bag as far as auto updates go. Sometimes it will tell me there's an update and ask to install, sometimes I just notice that new "channels" have been added.

I think perhaps that channels are mostly made of the same kinds of screens, so they are just updating a server where it pulls the lists of things that go onto the screens. It's not updating any actual executable code, just updating the data that drives what's available.

This is how someone was able to co-opt the Trailers channel to put Plex in there, they were intercepting the calls to apple's servers and mimicking the format it was querying.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

eightysixed posted:

I don't know where to ask this, so I'm going to ask both in this thread, and the General iPad thread :shobon:

I've never had an AppleTV before, but am thinking about getting one. My question is two-fold - I've heard that not every app can be streamed via AirPlay. Does anyone know if NFL Sunday Ticket can? And if so can it be AirPlay'd (???) from both an iPhone 5 or the latest generation iPad? What are the things that cannot be streamed? Netflix works fine, I assume? Thanks :)

So, Airplay from an iPad means two different things. There is "Airplay streaming" which transmits audio and video you are playing to the AppleTV as a stream.

Then there's "Airplay mirroring", in which your entire iPad's display is transmitted to the TV (but you get black bars on the side because iPad is 4:3 and TVs are 16:9)

Also, App Developers can block Airplay mirroring by using the ability to send a "second screen" to the AppleTV, which overrides the mirroring. Content providers (Like DirectTV) have been notorious for not allowing either Airplay streaming (because they didn't implement the functionality in their video player) or Airplay mirroring (because they actively send like an empty second screen to the AppleTV). I know HBO Go used to just send a giant HBO Go Logo as the second screen.

I'm not sure about NFL Sunday Ticket, but I would bet if it's owned by an old media company (which it is.. .DirectTV) then they probably don't allow it.

Netflix is a moot point, since the Apple TV supports Netflix natively without Airplay.

Edit: Found this review on the app store.

appstore posted:

Needs AirPlay

by Ffgjkfkrfkrofpgjyd
DirecTV, you stopped supporting the PS3 application which was a major disappointment. Then when I updated the Sunday Ticket app on my iPad and saw the AirPlay icon I got happy because I typically like to hook up two TVs on Sunday to watch two games, but it's only for audio. What gives? Please update to include full AirPlay. I want to take full advantage of my Sunday Ticket.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 5, 2013

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

dutchbstrd posted:

Wow. I noticed WatchABC pop up today. Live abc and a bunch of their content on demand!

Yeah, except you have to have CABLE in order to watch live ABC programming despite the fact that ABC is a free over the air network. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Feenix posted:

I know the original post was about atv learning any remote but it inspired me to get out my old, unused Logitech Harmony 650 and add/activity up everything.

My poo poo is slick now.

If you want slick you should try the Logitech harmony smart remote. It has a base station that stays in place and then a rf remote. So I press an activity button and I don't have to sit there pointing the remote the entire time the activity is playing. It's great.

• Locked thread