Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Devian666 posted:

I only just set up my ATV yesterday. AirPlay via airvideo is a good option and saves needing to pre convert media.

One thing I've noticed is that the caching of streams works really well. I was watching a podcast and was starting a YouTube video on my iPad but I had accidentally left AirPlay on. The video played in place of the podcast. I watched that the the ATV allowed resume and had still retained the 80% of the video that had been cached. After I noticed that I check out a few other things I'd been watching and they were still fully cached. Seems like a step up in terms of streaming.

The only problem I see is that it'll probably encourage me to get an iPad 3 for mirroring.
Is there a difference between mirroring from a 3 versus a 2? I have a 3 and I think my wife's 2 looks the same mirroring, if i recall correctly. It doesn't do 2048x1456 or anything, at least not on my ATV3/television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yes apps please and also let me delete MLB and NFL and NHL or whatever to make more room for stuff I'll use.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ZShakespeare posted:

If you don't mind running your poo poo through handbrake (what I do), or getting your content from iTunes/NetFlix, it's a really good device.
... Or if you have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch and AirVideo or oplayer you can stream pretty much anything right from your PC or NAS to it. Suits my needs.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Aphasian posted:

Well I got one today and I cannot get it to see my home share no matter what I try. Home sharing works fine with my iPad 3. Turned it on and off on both with different combinations, restarted both, turned off IPv6, turned my firewall off completely. I even restored it.
I know you said you turned off the firewall (PC or MAC?) but I had to add ourbound rules for DAAS (5353 UDP) and Bonjour (3689 TCP) on my PC (and of course make sure iTunes was up and running OK) before my ATV could see it. Even with the firewall disabled it wouldn't work (but iphones and ipads would,) unless I was loving something else up. But anyway try that.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Aphasian posted:

I'm on a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Tried adding inbound and outbound rules for those ports, no dice.

iTunes is running and they both have the same apple ID.
Latest iTunes (10.6.3.25)? Updated ATV OS? Does it show the name of your share at all and just can't connect? Or nothing to select?

Try turning off Homeshare in iTunes via Advanced then turn it back on so it asks for your password then turn on the ATV. Also try wireless versus wired on the ATV if that's an option for you. Router reset maybe?

It's not uncommon and the fixes seem all over the place judging from the apple support forums. The port thing did it for me and it's been perfect since.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Aphasian posted:

Latest everything. Turned off homeshare on both and back on on both, multiple restarts on both too.

FAKE EDIT: Disconnecting the ethernet cable fixed it. :wtf: I plugged it into the same router it's connected to wirelessly.

Many thanks for the help. I'm still considering returning it because this is seriously idiotic. We'll see how it goes.
No problem; glad you fixed it. Yeah it's weird for sure but Apple products have a history of hating certain routers. I bet you can plug it back in now and it'll be fine :iiam:

Give it a try for a while; it's pretty awesome for the size, power, and cost, especially if you have an ipad/ipod/iphone and can stream anything from a PC or even direct from a nas with AirPlayer or Oplayer. It's worth it for that and netflix alone for me. Airplaying music, youtubes, games, and streaming my NAS photos as screensaver / live picture frame are just a bonus. People into NBA/NHL/MLB love the poo poo out of that stuff too I hear.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

echobucket posted:

Holy crap. I should sell my ATV2 then since I'm not interested in jailbreaking.
Yes you should because ATV3 is better and smaller and 1080p (unless you need to JB for some reason, like you don't have an iPod/iPhone/iPad/Mac around to stream non-iTunes format media to it.)

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

EC posted:

I'd argue that XBMC is way, way easier than it used to be nowadays. Set content, let it scan, and it'll do it's thing. You almost never have to edit an XML file! :v:
That "almost" is what I don't like. Should be "never."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I was going to buy an airport express to drive a speaker bar in my bedroom, then I realized I will never need USB or Ethernet jacks in my bedroom, but one day I might put a TV in there (unlikely, but more likely than a printer or something that needs wired Ethernet) so I bought another apple TV3. Same $99 price. Hooked it up to the TV to set up the wifi and software update, moved it into the bedroom, hooked up the optical link to my little soundbar/woofer at the bed headboard, and put it under the bed. Works great.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jdiboise posted:

I have a bunch of content organized into folders on a NAS. Do I still have to put it all into iTunes and keep it organized in iTunes for an Apple TV to work, or can an Apple TV index files on my NAS?
Apple TV can't directly access your NAS unless it has iTunes server built in. But if you have a PC running iTunes you can make iTunes look at a symlink to your NAS, which is what I do and it works well.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

smackfu posted:

So am I the only one who didn't know you could hide unused app icons in the Parental Controls menu? Begone MLB and NHL!
No you are not :monocle: thanks!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Billa posted:

I just bought an ATV3 but I'm unable to understand how this works, or maybe I got everything wrong, I want to do the following:

I have a NAS with mp4 which I want to stream directly to the iPad without the need of a computer on the middle, is that possible? Or do I need a computer to stream to my iPad?
ATV or iPad is the target device? Oplayer, AirplayitHD, etc will stream direct from most NAS boxes. I don't know a way to direct stream from a NAS to AppleTV, but if you use one of those apps (or any of the tons like them) you can stream to your iPad and Airplay to the ATV. It'll keep playing even with the iPad screen off, and you can control by ATV or iPad.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Billa posted:

I would like the Apple TV to connect to a library of videos I have on that NAS, and then the iPad to connect to that Apple TV, so the ATV3 acts as a bridge between the content and the iPad without the need of a computer powered on all the time.
Why do you need a bridge? Just connect the iPad to the NAS directly using any of the apps mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Voodoo posted:

Streaming video directly from a computer to an aTV (without itunes) is the killer app that makes jailbreaking so appealing.

I personally use Air Video to go PC->iPad->aTV, but I'm sure there a ton of other programs out there that do the same thing.
Yeah that is nice but if you have an iphone, ipad, or ipod it can replace the computer in that setup. Airplay is pretty awesome.

edit: I misread what you put. Yes, that's the airplay way if your vids are on a PC and you need them transcoded. I was thinking of a NAS source and skipping transcoding.

randyest fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 24, 2012

• Locked thread