Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I checked the app store, but just in case I'm missing something: Is there a Mac equivalent of the Remote application that would allow me to control the AppleTV from my Macbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone comment on how the interface on the espn app differs from that on the xbox 360? Does it have favorite teams like the 360 version?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a second generation one that's 4 or 5 years old now I think, and it just keeps getting better. Having WatchESPN and HBO on it is awesome.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's the one that aded the Disney channels, then I think so. I turned it on today so I could update and get those, and then noticed they were already there and no update was available.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a mixed bag as far as auto updates go. Sometimes it will tell me there's an update and ask to install, sometimes I just notice that new "channels" have been added.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would be happy if I could search for a movie and have it tell me which of the streaming and/or rental services it is available on. Kind of like canistream.it, but built in.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Am I going to talk into my remote? Because I don't use it.

I think you'd be more likely to use an app on your phone/idevice to do it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karki posted:

If you've been waiting to pick one (or another one) up, Apple is offering a $25 iTunes gift card with purchase for the next week. However, that probably means something new's on its way. Or not. It's Apple so who knows.

Interesting. Has there been any word about rolling out a new one?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

Not officially obviously, but there's been some rumors that they'll be unveiling a new one and an SDK in the next few months.

yeah it just doesn't seem like Apple to do a promotion like that unless they're trying to reduce inventory in the channel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did I miss safari being added on the appletv? One of the fixes in the changelog for the update is: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What I saw was on Macintouch.

Edit: and apparently here (security changes at least) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6163?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Huh, that's pretty neat. So I could use the TV or Cable remote to control Apple TV stuff. But I guess the arrow buttons would be active for both devices at once? I'm worried that I might be like browsing the cable guide, and accidentally buying stuff or changing settings on the Apple TV. Hmm.

Don't all your remotes have buttons for VCR, DVD, etc? Switch it to one of those modes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's why it says Computers instead of Computer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

The old Apple TV was a Mac Mini with no screen,

So it was a Mac Mini?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This could be a decent lightweight gaming console.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Will buy as long as I can still do the Plex hack.

If it's true that there will be an app store for it, hopefully no hack will be needed and you can just download a legit client application.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It can do Airplay, I don't think the xbone can do that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just can't stand the xbox or ps4 interfaces. They make no sense to me. They're pretty, but if I haven't used them in a couple weeks I have to scroll around different screens trying to find what I want. The current AppleTV interface is ugly and uninspired, but it's simple to navigate.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use my PS4 for the occasional game and Amazon Prime streaming. If the new ATV can do the Amazon thing I'll be a happy man.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm really hoping the Siri mic is on the remote itself and not the ATV.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Why exactly? Amazon Echo has the microphone on the device and it works great., and you never need to use the remote if you don't want.

I guess. I'm just used to things with mics far away sucking.

I'm looking at you, xbox kinect.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they say if the Siri mic is in the remote or in the Apple TV?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

I wonder if Siri integration will work with an iPhone as a remote? Maybe a revamped Remote App?

I would imagine so since you can use your phone as a controller for games.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know google owns nest now, but all my poo poo is nest and I really wish it were homekit compatible. But I'm not replacing it just so I can have a works with apple logo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 3rd gen ATV ( I think( and whenever I try to update it it says unable to update. Is there a way to reset the whole drat thing?

edit: I probably should have googled the second question. But I guess I was wondering if anyone had seen this error.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Do you have a reference off the top of your head?

If you push them all at once, the ghost of Steve Jobs appears and tells you you're doing it wrong.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like using the apple remote on the rare occasions I can locate it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They need to unify the provider login. It makes no sense to have to login for each separate application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the only people really excited about this product are existing AppleTV owners, and there's only like 6 of us.

• Locked thread