Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is it a reasonable expectation that I should be able to send content to the ATV from my iPad while XBMC is running and not crash XBMC in the process? Or is AirPlay something that is only going to work from the main iOS dashboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yes also very interested in such a thread.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You can't use VPN's on an Apple TV 3. I instead use the VPN on my iPad. Only way to run a VPN on it would be to use a flashed router which is way too much effort

Does anyone have a link to accurate instructions for getting a router running dd-wrt to work with a service like StrongVPN? Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places or just not following instructions correctly but I can't get it to work for bypassing MLB.tv blackouts.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Question Regarding AirPlay Mirroring:

If I'm using XBMC on my jailbroken ATV2 and I want to use mirroring, do I need to shut down XBMC and enable the built-in Airplay service on the ATV? I need to play Carcassonne on my tv.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I can get Airplay audio/video working without a problem on XBMC, I just never see the "mirroring" option when I do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Legdiian posted:

Kaleidescape sells media servers that rip DVDs. They were sued and won.

On the flipside: RealDVD

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

smackfu posted:

In other news, wow, if you have a spare Apple TV 2 that you aren't jailbreaking, now is the time to sell. I got $150 for mine in about 10 minutes on eBay. (So my price was probably too low.)

I found one for $50 at a garage sale last year, then stupidly gave it to my brother-in-law :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are there VLC type players that can play videos without conversion? (That will also airplay to Apple TV)

I use Gplayer and I'm almost 100% certain it can airplay to an atv. I'll doublecheck when I get home this afternoon.

Gplayer is the only app I've found that can connect to my NAS and stream content without requiring conversion. It can even reliably stream 720p mkv content.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a 2nd gen ATV and on the "About" page it lists the Apple TV Software as version 4.4.4 (3330). When I select Update Software, it tells me that the ATV is up to date.

Wiki tells me that 4.4.4 was the last version that came out before the 3rd gen ATVs came out and Apple released 5.0. Do I need to do anything special to get the firmware to bump past 4.4.4?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

geera posted:

My wife and I have talked about using one Apple ID for purchases, but we've been running on our own IDs for a few years now. Is there any practical way to switch and still access content (pretty much only apps and music) we've already bought on our individual IDs? It would be great if there was a way to merge two IDs in to one and carry over purchases to the new ID also.

Does anyone have a viable answer to this question? I'm interested as well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

I guess you could just subscribe to Match on what would be the main account and add all the music to it from the other account.

I'm not talking about music. I'm talking about apps mostly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Alright I guess I'll take it to the general iOS thread then...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Every day I try to use my AppleTV as an HTPC replacement, I just get frustrated as poo poo.

XBMC runs like a turd on an ATV2.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

kuskus posted:

You trying to run 1080p content and find that it's dogging, or you just don't like the interface?
When it runs, for me, it runs great. Something always fundamentally breaks about the install during upgrade though, and I just lean on Plex.

Edit: "10% of the time, it runs great 100% of the time"; sorry.

Nah, not even 1080p content. I only try to view 720p mkvs at most.

It's just not powerful enough, though. You can't background a playing video without it chugging along. Even though I update the build regularly, it still crashes a lot and often times the only way to fix it is to get up and plug/unplug the power to it like some kind of caveman.

Add to that, my remote for it magically stopped working. When you press buttons, the light blinks on the ATV like it's receiving the signal but nothing happens. Replaced the battery and still the same thing. It doesn't even work on the regular iOS screens, so it's not an XBMC-related issue.

Also, updating the firmware on it is way more difficult than it should be (or maybe it's just me?). Every time I try to do it from within the device it says there's no update to install (false!) so I have to connect it to my computer and do it through iTunes...

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 11, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Sell your appletv2 for $200+ and buy a Zotac AD10

I plan to replace it with some flavor of Zotac or other nettop, but that's just going to introduce another slew of headaches.

That's the one thing I really like about using the ATV for XBMC; because it's such a basic device there's not really a whole to tweak or futz with. Once I get into OpenELEC/XBMCubuntu/Windows who the gently caress knows what problems I'll run into.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Atarian posted:

Seriously considering doing something like this, but is there a device i can run both XBMC and Netflix on? I really only use the ATV for netflix nowadays, since i have a separate nettop for xbmc, but netflix wont run on the nettop. I just want to have one device for everything. Seems impossible.

If your nettop runs Windows8, Netflix should run with no trouble as far as I'm aware (have not personally verified this, though).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Kenderama posted:

I really don't get what the issue is running XBMC on ATV2. I've been doing it for 2 years now without major issues. I have the latest XBMC on the latest iOS, and the only thing it chokes on is wmv files.

Wired network off my Mac Mini fileserver (with drives hooked up via USB) and it plays fine. Perhaps you need a different skin? I know that a lot of the high-shiny-graphic ones make the ATV dog out - but the basic Confluence one works fine.

I'm using the stock skin and am pulling content from a Synology DS411. Both the ATV and the NAS are wired to the same router.

It's just not very snappy. The interface lags and it takes what I consider to be "too much time" to load things like metadata and posters/album art.

Add to that it's just not as extensible as running XBMC on a more robust system. A lot of plugins and added features don't work on the ATV and emulators are completely out of the question.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I do agree that the ATV is nice for its native support of MLB/NBA and Netflix. That's one thing I sorta left out of my original complaint.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

This is an ATV/XBMC question but it's more suited for this thread:

If I want to use a BT keyboard for character entry while in XBMC, do I have to first pair the keyboard from within iOS before launching XBMC? I ask because this particular keyboard is normally paired with an iPad but if I want to quickly switch it over to the ATV, XBMC doesn't seem to have any functionality to allow this.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So this is a really loving weird problem that I cannot figure out:

I renewed my Netflix subscription so I could watch the new Arrested Development episodes and when I try to play the episodes, I get the background music for the episodes but none of the dialogue. If I turn on closed captions I can see that there is dialogue being spoken but all I hear is the backing music.

Other content on Netflix plays without this issue and the new AD episodes are the only thing I can get to replicate the problem.

Does anyone know wtf?

EDIT: I tweeted @netflixhelps... we'll see if they have any ideas.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 31, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It was a receiver configuration issue :/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

My jailbroken ATV2 appears to be totally unresponsive and I have no idea why. I used it for the first time in a week, and the remote didn't seem to do anything despite me being able to see the unit light flash, so I rebooted. I have to tethered boot, so I held down menu+power for 7 seconds, got it to reboot, still nothing responsive. SSHed in , did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, rebooted again. Spent 20 minutes trying to get seas0npass to see the stupid thing, finally back in, still no remote response. Any ideas? The remote clearly works since I'm using it every tethered boot.

When I had this problem I connected my ATV2 to my computer via USB, wiped it clean in iTunes, and updated to the latest fw.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

dazjw posted:

Not really fundamental, pretty much all they'd need to do is require that AppleTVs connect to trailers.apple.com over https instead of http. Using plexconnect is effectively man-in-the-middle 'attacking' your appleTV, and https stops that (well... that's a simplification but it's good enough for this).
So yes, you absolutely need to worry about updates to the AppleTV hitting plexconnect.

It may well not be worth it to them, though. SSL has a non-zero (not high, but non-zero) cost, and plexconnect usage is probably a rounding error to Apple.

Is there a cost beyond simply purchasing the certificate? If not, it could only be a cost of a few hundred bucks a year for Apple.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Has anyone installed the EmulatorsPlugin on a jailbroken ATV2 yet?

I'm reading the documentation for how to install it here but I'm not seeing any folder called
code:
~/Users/frontrow
as the how-to would have me believe. The closest my filesystem has is
code:
~/User
. If I try log in with the suggested username/password of "frontrow", it does not log in.

I'm also seeing the line "Supports ATV 2.4!" a lot with regards to this plugin but I'm not sure what that means if the firmware I'm currently using is "5.2 (6010.96)"

EDIT: ALSO, can someone explain to me what the latest and greatest version of NitoTV is? I'm confused about NitoTV vs NitoTV Take 2.

EDIT: Now after installing NitoTV, my ATV boots into a black screen... poo poo. If I restore, it's going to put 5.3 on my device and that's a tethered jailbreak. That's going to be super loving annoying given how crash happy XBMC Eden is on the ATV right now...

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 12, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

G-Prime posted:

The EmulatorsPlugin you're trying to use is for an ATV1, running at least software version 2.4, that's why it isn't working on your ATV2. It's for an OSX derivative, not an iOS one.

Yeah but I didn't even get that far. I just installed NitoTV and now it's all buttfucked.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Does anyone have any experience running an ATV2 without the hdmi connected? I just want to connect the optical audio connection and use the ATV2 for its airplay abilities but I can't seem to get the audio output to work. Does it need to be plugged into a video source?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

vaginal culture posted:

Why wouldn't you use an airport express for this instead?

Because I have an ATV and I do not have an Airport Express.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

spongeworthy posted:

I'm mainly getting "script failed" errors when attempting to run Amazon and other sourced programs. All my permissions are fine so I'm not sure what's up. I'll try those skins you mentioned also, thanks.

I thought the Amazon Prime plugin no longer worked?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone with an ATV2 running XBMC have a problem with XBMC crashing when I airplay into it? At the moment I have to keep quitting the app just to send something to it briefly and it's a bit annoying.

I also have a few weird things like the podcast app not working a lot, maybe it's a problem with my OS install and it needs a factory reset and fresh jb.

Just make sure you don't end up with a new firmware or you're not going to be doing any jailbreaking.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Yup, I was able to jailbreak mine this summer after keeping them updated without any problems.

To be clear, you can only jailbreak fw version 5.3 on the appletv2. Further, if you didn't save your device's SHSH blobs for 5.3 and it is currently running something like 6.2, you will not be able to downgrade it to 5.3 or jailbreak it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

I taught the Apple TV how to listen to our receiver remote, so it's okay when the tiny slippery remote disappears for a couple weeks: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT3296

I bought an Onkyo receiver and it worked with my atv2 out of the box. I was sufficiently impressed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I presume it traces your hostname to figure out your location.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I only have iphone/iPad and an appletv in my house but I bought a Chromecast to get around MLS blackouts by beaming the feed from my desktop to the Chromecast (MLS Live app doesn't seem to work even with custom DNS routing through the atv).

Anyway, my question is if there is any reason at all to install the Chromecast app on my idevices? I honestly can't think of anything that airplay doesn't already do.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Why didn't you AirPlay from your desktop to your Apple TV...?

Because I forgot that there were third party airplay apps and the last time I tried researching the options via google, I ended up not liking any of the software packages I found.

Although, the last time I did this research I ended up paying cash money for a Foobar2000 component that would stream any content from FB2K to my appletv.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

I take it you have a PC? Because on a Mac, you can just Airplay your entire screen to the Apple TV. No third party software needed.

Yeah I'm on windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Since HBO has stated they don't care about account sharing, I figure this is an OK question:

When I load up HBO Go/Now, it wants me to "activate" my ATV and enter a code. If I'm using my friend's creds to log in, is that going to gently caress up his poo poo if I do that?

• Locked thread