Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is it worth updating my ATV2s to 4.4.4 or whatever the latest 4.x release is? They're still on 4.1.1 and I guess the newest Plex won't work with it? I've just been using XBMC but want to give Plex a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't really like the gui of iOS5 but as long as Plex and/or XBMC work fine I might as well give it a shot.

EDIT: Anyone use ATVFlash? Is it worth it? I'm thinking I'd rather just pay the $30 and have a one shot software for all this stuff.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 2, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ripping a DVD is perfectly legal. It falls under fair use. What isn't legal is circumventing any type of copy protection due to the DMCA.

So if you have a DVD with no copy protection, you can rip that DVD into any format you want for personal use and have no issues whatsoever but if it has an encryption on it then Copy Protection policies supersede fair-use rights.

If audio cds had copy protection on them as well, it would also be illegal to rip them but it's a case of too-little, too-late at this point.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm more annoyed that my 27" 2009 iMac doesn't support it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roku and Boxee also don't directly sell TV shows and Movies.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have had it with my Apple TV, I have to unplug and plug back in every time I want to use it otherwise I get the "X is unavailable" message. I really wanted to avoid going to the genius bar to get belittled and told that its a "Netflix Issue" rather than having it replaced.

Do I have any options at this point?

Have you even been to the genius bar? They're not going to give you any hassle over a $99 device I assure you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just a heads up, Fry's Electronics has the Apple TV for $79 w/ free HDMI cable today only in-store.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Billa posted:

Theres a new firmware for the Apple TV although I don't know the new stuff it has (except for semi-revamped UI).

Looks like bug fixes and one new feature, iTunes Up Next.

quote:

The previous iOS update for Apple TV was a major one. iOS 5.1 for Apple TV brought with it a host of new features, apart from user interface improvements. Apple TV now supports Shared Photo Streams, AirPlay and multiple iTunes accounts which can easily and swiftly be switched. iOS 5.1.1 for Apple TV now eliminates any bugs that might have been present in the previous update. Also, this update is only available for second and third generation Apple TVs only, just like iOS 5.1 is.

The new feature added to Apple TV in iOS 5.1.1 is called iTunes Up Next. It adds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. Basically iTunes Up Next allows you to see upcoming songs when playing music on your Apple TV. Users also have the ability to add new songs and edit what’s queued with the Apple TV Remote or by using the Remote app on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MickRaider posted:

Those of you looking to cash in on your ATV2's better sell them fast.

ATV3 has been jailbroken, Beta soon

No, it hasn't. This is a garbage press release that the website appletv3jailbreak.com keeps buying. I've seen this news spam all over the place the past few weeks, trying to drive traffic to their website.

There is no AppleTV 3 jailbreak. Just read the article, the website referenced isn't a "hacking group", it's a blog with a bunch of ads and affiliate links.

Here's what nitoTV said just 2 weeks ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

skattered posted:

What do you guys think of Chip Group announcing that an untethered aTV3 jailbreak will be released before the end of the year?

http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/ATV3-Chip-Group-To-Reveal-Untethered-Apple-TV-3-4139098.php

Is it a press release? Ignore it. Hacking groups don't use PRWeb.

Edit: it's the same drat website that is posting press releases every week. Please stop linking to this crap.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Raffles posted:

Ok so I've got my ATV 2 ticking away on eBay, hopefully I'll make a tidy profit. The question is though, should I hold off in the ATV 3. It came last March and Apple seem to be moving everything to yearly update schedules. Have there been any rumblings of an Apple TV refresh this spring or is common wisdom pointing towards the next ATV being an actual TV set?

AppleTV is definitely not a yearly update project, it's still considered a "hobby" by Apple in all respects.

Apple TV (1st generation)
January 8, 2007
Apple TV (2nd generation)
September 1, 2010
Apple TV (3rd generation)
March 7, 2012

I honestly don't see a refresh at all this year. The major revision for the 3rd gen was just pushing the resolution from 720p to 1080p and they're not going up any higher.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

slomomofo posted:

Good lord it's great to have XBMC back in my living room but I second your question... the stock ones downloadable through the "get more" tab are mostly slow as hell. I can't tell if that's because they have too many bells and whistles enabled for the atv to handle, or if the 12.0 port (as of last night) is still too fresh for snappy switches on a large library.

I've used a couple but I think the Quartz skin is the fastest I've used that still has some style to it.
I know some people love Xeebo as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've looked at ATV Flash but I'm not sure how it updates the media library, can you tell me how it does that? Do you tell it to scan a directory, or does it look every x hours, or does it update on change? If I drop a TV show on a folder on my server I can ping XBMC to update the library but I'm not sure how it works here.

I also think I may miss the XBMC library sync now that I finally got it all set up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Almost nothing has DVD decryption built in since it's against the DMCA and you can get in big problems for including it in your software.

There are a handful of software packages that will decrypt DVDs on the fly however, allowing you to use them with handbrake. DVD43 is pretty popular.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

My jailbroken ATV2 appears to be totally unresponsive and I have no idea why. I used it for the first time in a week, and the remote didn't seem to do anything despite me being able to see the unit light flash, so I rebooted. I have to tethered boot, so I held down menu+power for 7 seconds, got it to reboot, still nothing responsive. SSHed in , did an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, rebooted again. Spent 20 minutes trying to get seas0npass to see the stupid thing, finally back in, still no remote response. Any ideas? The remote clearly works since I'm using it every tethered boot.

I had this same issue but I can't remember how I solved it. I think maybe un-pairing and re-pairing the remote might have done it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

Sorry for any ignorance here, I'm new to aTV. Are you saying it is updating itself in the background forcefully? Or is there something else going on here

e: I have the new channels but jailbreak seems to be OK for the moment

aTV has always updated silently.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like Apple TV is finally getting called up to the big leagues.

quote:

Apple appears to be putting its ducks in a row ahead of major Apple TV changes. Alongside last night’s changes to the Apple Online Store to promote Valentine’s Day specials, Apple added an entire Apple TV section.

The Apple TV is now promoted as a full product line alongside Macs, iPads, iPods, and iPhones. Previously, the Apple TV did not have its own section, and it was simply tucked away as an accessory in the dwindling iPod department.

Not only does the Apple TV now have its own section, but it now has promoted and dedicated accessory, AppleCare, refurbished, and community question/answer sections.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/28/apple-tv-graduates-from-hobbyaccessory-to-product-line-ahead-of-major-changes/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Acrolos posted:

Is there a way to get access to all of the most current apps (most notably the new WWE app) without updating the Apple TV 2? I'm currently on 5.0.1 and it's been really stable for me for a long time, so I was hoping for some kind of workaround.

I think the only option would be Airplay streaming if the WWE app allows it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just sold my 3 ATV2s. Put them up on eBay at a $275 BIN and they were gone in a couple hours.

There's a couple power seller on there selling them for $380 and they've sold over 600 so far.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They were on 5.2 but I updated to 5.3 with Seas0nPass and installed NitoTV and XBMC on them. They're more valuable if you install XBMC Hub Wizard which give you access to :filez: streams but I didn't want to deal with having to field questions about why the UFC PPV wasn't working or whatever.

I ended up moving to a Roku3 w/ Plex instead. If the next ATV supports app installs (like Plex) I might go back

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you used firecore it should turn off updates for you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The FireTV interface is complete dogshit and constant beats you with Amazon prime ads.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Guys will the new ATV have rocket league this is important

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kinda disappointed there wasn't a single mention of Homekit for the AppleTV. I wonder if those rumors were bunk or if they're still planning some sort of Homekit hub, maybe a refresh Airport Extreme.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

Planned obsolescence is part of Apple's design philosophy. They hold on to new iPhone features just so they have something to show off next year. I don't think it's cynical to assume that, it's just known.

That's not planned obsolescence at all.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You know what happens when you throw in every feature just because you can? You get a piece of poo poo like Samsung phones as a result.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Yah. Calling BS on that an iPhone 3G had 128mb and topped out at 4.2.1 and OpenGL Es 1. If you don't consider three generations of the Os obsolete or unable to play any game on the App Store, I'm not sure what you would.

How is that in any way planned?

Having a product that still functions at least the same as the day you bought it is not planned obsolescence. Having a product with substandard or faulty components that is designed to fail after a few years is planned obsolescence. Are old cars now obsolete because they don't have air bags, blind spot detection and backup cameras?

I still use an original iPhone to play music on in my garage. It suits my needs and does everything is did since day one. It may be lacking in new features but it is no way obsolete.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 13, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

If you don't want a wall wart, the current Express is in a very similar form-factor as the AppleTV.

You can even plug in a standard figure-8 cord into the old express and hide the thing :ssh:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Good. gently caress anyone violating the NDA on developer units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They're not going to be sold out, just buy it when you wake up.

• Locked thread