Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BobHoward posted:

so far it's been very niche since performance in existing non-apple arm SoCs just isn't competitive with x86. qualcomm's looking to change that

I'm kinda hoping they do, but not exactly hopeful from the rumors I've read about their up and coming arm chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

champagne posting posted:

I'm kinda hoping they do, but not exactly hopeful from the rumors I've read about their up and coming arm chip

spill!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the sole real-world use case for windows arm64 is running windows vms on macs, and the x86 emulation works pretty well there ime

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

champagne posting posted:

I got my arm chips boosted at the same time I got my flu shot

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
still slowly refining lil

i added conforming semantics to dictionaries, so i can do things like sum/union a pair of dicts without explicit loops:

generalized amending assignments to work with tables (copy-on-write; tables themselves are immutable values), which is much more straightforward than update for some tasks, especially if the target column varies:

and introduced a like operator for glob matching, which makes it way easier to do 1:1 translations of a lot of sql examples. i've also found this surprisingly handy in practical decker scripts, since it's now much easier to do things like query for all the widgets on a card whose name has a particular suffix or add fuzzy search to crud programs

i also just finished writing Learn Lil in 10 Minutes, which is a nice fast-paced language overview for folks who already know how to program

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
nifty language! sql stuff on tables is :krad:. what's the motivation behind the right-to-left precedence? i feel like that'd be hard for me to remember heh.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

uniform right-to-left precedence is common to Q, J, K, APL, and other languages in the same family (Lil isn't a "pure" APL-descendant, but it does borrow many ideas from K and Q)

with a large number of primitive operators, i think uniform precedence is much easier to remember than a complex tower that tries to "do the right thing" for various operators, and it simplifies the implementation slightly

certainly takes some getting used to at first

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one can argue a lot about it as a policy, but it is certainly not a "hard to remember", in that the thing to remember begins and ends with the phrase "everything is right-to-left"

also i'd argue that it is simply better as honestly you should probably parenthesize pretty much everything beyond mixing multiplication and addition in any language with mixed associativity/precedence

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
ehh i assumed it would trip me up for a bit but yeah, i don't think it's bad or anything. cool honestly. i did some K maybe 15 years ago for some challenge and while i don't remember that rule, i finished the challenge so it clearly wasn't that difficult to remember.

defmacro fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 21, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ultimately the main thing that i loved about k/kdb/q was first class tables as a data structure. in my experience it did *a lot* for program structure in a dynamically typed language. you just naturally wind up writing all interfaces in terms of tables, including then proper names for things and a typespec.

a table is just a pretty human-friendly format. while also being pretty much gold standard for things to write out to storage.

afaik ij's lil is quite unique among the open source descendants to pick that part up.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

it took me a long time to appreciate the value of tables in k and q; having them as a first-class datatype really helps simplify lots of things. i've lost count how many times i've written programs in javascript that operated on lists of dictionaries that all have the same keyset by convention, but with a table you can express the same thing and still capture meaningful information in the 0-record case

i think the rise in popularity of dataframes (usually as second-class entities) reflects a strong desire for tabular structures and operations for manipulating them uniformly; perhaps in the coming decades this sort of feature will gain popularity in the same way that many mainstream languages have adopted functional programming features

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

given that expressions evaluate right-to-left, I found it weird that dict had the keys on the left, because for some reason it seems like keys should be before values in a definition like that

I don’t relish having to maintain a large dictionary with the keys and values distant from each other, but you can probably transform a list of pairs into a dictionary with 3 characters (none alphanumeric) once you know what you’re doing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

given that expressions evaluate right-to-left, I found it weird that dict had the keys on the left, because for some reason it seems like keys should be before values in a definition like that

I don’t relish having to maintain a large dictionary with the keys and values distant from each other, but you can probably transform a list of pairs into a dictionary with 3 characters (none alphanumeric) once you know what you’re doing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, but kind of agreed that the map literal syntax is dubious. it makes sense in that (k/q) very much treats it as a pair of lists in a bunch of ways, and it makes the parse easy, but i can't make a similar case that it is human-friendly.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

dict is just an operator for creating dictionaries from lists; it's not a literal syntax and certainly not the only way to obtain a dict

i do agree that there are a few situations where flipping the arguments might be more convenient, but i wasn't able to convince myself it was a slam-dunk win

one of the lowest-friction ways of making dictionaries (or nested dictionaries) is to use the "amending" assignment syntax to construct them implicitly
code:
foo.bar:11
foo.baz:22
foo.quux.zami:33
another nice approach is to raze a table, either directly from an insert or the result of a more elaborate query, constructing a dictionary from the leading columns of the table. it's essentially the inverse of how lil normally "widens" lists and dicts into tables to run queries against them

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ultimately the main thing that i loved about k/kdb/q was first class tables as a data structure. in my experience it did *a lot* for program structure in a dynamically typed language. you just naturally wind up writing all interfaces in terms of tables, including then proper names for things and a typespec.

a table is just a pretty human-friendly format. while also being pretty much gold standard for things to write out to storage.

afaik ij's lil is quite unique among the open source descendants to pick that part up.

the children yearn for the mines excel spreadsheets

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

redleader posted:

the children yearn for the mines excel spreadsheets

sounds more like mainframes

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

NihilCredo posted:

sounds more like mainframes

and what is a mainframe but a proto-excel?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
you're the mainframe now, dec

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Is anyone here familiar with SkookumScript? It was a scripting language for the Unreal 4 engine, and is mostly dead/unmaintained now, but it seems very interesting in terms of syntax/semantics. I think the folks behind it got hired by Epic and are working (with others) on that Verse language.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
sounds like a real choocher

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ColTim posted:

Is anyone here familiar with SkookumScript? It was a scripting language for the Unreal 4 engine, and is mostly dead/unmaintained now, but it seems very interesting in terms of syntax/semantics. I think the folks behind it got hired by Epic and are working (with others) on that Verse language.

that was a fun read, thank you!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the new language has documentation already: https://dev.epicgames.com/documentation/en-us/uefn/verse-language-reference

but you can, uh, only use it in fortnite. that's not a euphemism or something, it only works in the unreal editor for fortnite right now, and may never come to the "real" unreal engine

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

abraham linksys posted:

the new language has documentation already: https://dev.epicgames.com/documentation/en-us/uefn/verse-language-reference

but you can, uh, only use it in fortnite. that's not a euphemism or something, it only works in the unreal editor for fortnite right now, and may never come to the "real" unreal engine

oh BOO

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

a programming language that has absolutely no standalone implementation outside of a specific entire AAA video game is inexcusable

how does a company worth tens of billions of dollars owned by a longstanding enthusiastic plt weenie screw this up

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what? completely proprietary programming languages are the best kind of vendor lock-in, this is why companies are worth tends of billion dollars in the first place

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I almost went to work on that last year, but then it evaporated... and then epic games had their huge layoffs. Oh. That's why.

But I imagine it's a bit of conflicting priorities thing happening. They knew creating a new languages was going to be an long and expensive lift. And they committed to it. And then... well, expensive suddenly became more expensive (hence layoffs) and "metaverse" stopped being the hot new investor thing.

I imagine there's a lot of sad trade-offs happening over there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

waah doing math on fractions in latex is so compliated :(

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I would simply not do math on fractions in a typesetting system

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
One of the darkest events in computer history was when Guy Steele convinced Knuth to turn TeX into a programming language.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bloody posted:

tbh my brain is correctly broken to program latex now, so the hard part is actually doing the math, because im stupid.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Athas posted:

One of the darkest events in computer history was when Guy Steele convinced Knuth to turn TeX into a programming language.

yeah, rare miss by both of them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, rare miss by both of them

especially since it happened *after* scheme was designed.

i largely think some programming language was inevitable, it just didn't have to be as crude as tex is.

but afaik there's no reason to use anything but luatex anymore so that's all in the past.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 26, 2024

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Bloody posted:

have you tried doing math on a Linotype, or mayhaps a Monotype? :allears:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Athas posted:

One of the darkest events in computer history was when Guy Steele convinced Knuth to turn TeX into a programming language instead of just a set of Lisp macros and functions.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

pick any technology that doesn't directly involve lisp or sexprs

if lisp weenies had their way when that technology was designed it would be infinitely worse than whatever we have today

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

pick any technology that doesn't directly involve lisp or sexprs
As a consequence of Greenspun's tenth rule, that just means "only do greenfield development"

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

points at language with a repl: "lisp"
points at language with automatic memory management: "lisp"

(crying) "phil, you can't just point at things and say they contain an ad-hoc, incomplete common lisp implementation"

points at seagull carrying a curved french fry: "lisp"

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Internet Janitor posted:

points at language with a repl: "lisp"
points at language with automatic memory management: "lisp"

(crying) "phil, you can't just point at things and say they contain an ad-hoc, incomplete common lisp implementation"

points at seagull carrying a curved french fry: "lisp"
I demand the Unicode Consortium add curly fry emojis (both -- at least -- left and right oriented curly fries) so that I can properly write Common Lisp in TYOOL 2024 like a modern programming language.

This is a molehill I will tie-dye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just committed a change to my team's Java-only project that says how to do something using the Kotlin REPL and I keep laughing at how obnoxious that is :smug:

I tried to do it in the Java REPL first, I swear! It wouldn't put the project classes in the classpath by default, though, and the Kotlin REPL somehow did.