Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Rufo posted:

i dont think the subset of valid js that consists of only "table flip dudes" is gonna be enough to program in

here is the converter I used http://utf-8.jp/public/aaencode.html hth

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

tinselt0wn posted:

JavaScript is pretty amazing cause you can use one language for both client side and server side. No more learning a dozen languages to make your web app. One is all you need.

one lang to rule them all and in a spergfest bind them

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

someone recommend a good phython book

keep in mind i can't add 2 + 2

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Golang unironically owns

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

tef posted:

here is the converter I used http://utf-8.jp/public/aaencode.html hth

mad

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

THC posted:

Golang unironically owns

do you like it? some of its syntax is a little odd, like it's having an identity crisis

arts and craps
Nov 20, 2011

gently caress SNEEP posted:

i'm going to college to learn how to program bideo games (video games). i learned c in the fall and just finished my first c++ class. next semester I take another c++ class, a operating systems class (stuff like multi-threading), and a graphics class. i never have to learn java :hellyeah:

loving lol at this post

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

idiot hell fucker posted:

loving lol at this post

classic yospos

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

z0ratio fartboner posted:

someone recommend a good phython book

keep in mind i can't add 2 + 2

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html :toot: just install it and mash around it's not like real programming where you have to make an effort, except for lining poo poo up so it's indented

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:toot:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I think we can all agree that the death of c++ cannot come too soon.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

You can tell the dilettantes because they make posts about go that aren't "lol, go"

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

A language without generics, has lovely tools, and mandates conservative gc? Sign me up, I'm sure I'll have loads of fun reimplementing what would be 4 dependencies in my pom.xml if I were using java.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tef posted:

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/index.html :toot: just install it and mash around it's not like real programming where you have to make an effort, except for lining poo poo up so it's indented
it's true p-languages are so friendly you'll actually program for free 'cause you'll be having fun

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Rufo posted:

rip sourceforge

lol yea I had to download a lib from there today and I was like oh yea I totally forgot this existed, why is anyone still using this and not github anyway.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

goroutines are cool and anything that cuts down on clutter is a good thing imo

but yeah 'dilettante' just about sums me up as a person

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
When I went to university, we were not allowed to learn c because it was not yet officially recognized as a computer language by the British computer society. C++ was invented about a year later I think. We were taught pascal. I've never ever used pascal for real or ever seen it outside of academia. I'm sure I've told this story before so thanks for reading. Cheers. Also I am typing this on a blackberry PlayBook and it's very baf

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Dr. Honked posted:

When I went to university, we were not allowed to learn c because it was not yet officially recognized as a computer language by the British computer society. C++ was invented about a year later I think. We were taught pascal. I've never ever used pascal for real or ever seen it outside of academia. I'm sure I've told this story before so thanks for reading. Cheers. Also I am typing this on a blackberry PlayBook and it's very baf

whoa you are hella old. congrats on not being dead yet.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

The Management posted:

I think we can all agree that the death of c++ cannot come too soon.

I have been programming professionally for 24 years and I agree with this so ducking hard

What the fucki is this plan book doing jesus

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
tbh i'd rather talk about specific frameworks and poo poo over languages

i'd much rather see a debate between emberjs/backbonejs or rails/django or something, see pros and cons of those

language pros and cons tend to be irrelevant to me because i'm using a language either (a) because it's the only thing i can use (javascript) or (b) because i like the frameworks/libraries it has

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Ronald Raiden posted:

whoa you are hella old. congrats on not being dead yet.

Thanks I eat vegetables and take brisk walks, it seems to work so far

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I'm what you might call a "Programming Language Philosopher"

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
golang is terrible

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
anyone who thinks running javascript on a server is a good idea should get a new job as a walmart cashier

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Janin posted:

anyone who thinks running javascript is a good idea should get a new job as a walmart cashier

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Janin posted:

anyone who thinks running javascript on a server is a good idea should get a new job as a walmart cashier

there's no disadvantages to running javascript on a server besides a smaller ecosystem to build on

and don't say callback hell (just to pick out one of the many nonsensical criticisms against it); there's tons of libraries out there for taming it

it's not a one-size-fit-all solution, and because of the small ecosystem and immature libraries it probably won't (and shouldn't) form the backbone of your site, but there's tons of web apps from github to okcupid using it in production alongside other frameworks for specific tasks it excels at. as it matures, you'll probably start to see more full stacks based on node.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
anal volcano you should learn some languages that aren't javascript

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

anal volcano you should learn some languages that aren't javascript

hey

ive made views for django and flask before thanks to my terrible collabs with elgruntox

so i can at least confidently pretend to know what i'm talking about

(i like javascript :3:)

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Anal Tributary posted:

there's no disadvantages to running javascript on a server besides a smaller ecosystem to build on

and don't say callback hell (just to pick out one of the many nonsensical criticisms against it); there's tons of libraries out there for taming it
how about the fact that all of the major javascript runtimes are single-threaded, slow as gently caress, and require at least an order of magnitude more cpu/ram/diskio than just writing your server in C like god intended?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Janin posted:

how about the fact that all of the major javascript runtimes are single-threaded, slow as gently caress, and require at least an order of magnitude more cpu/ram/diskio than just writing your server in C like god intended?

how about that none of this is relevant for the ways nodejs is currently being used by sites in production?

also okcupid is a c++ shop and even they decided to switch to node for some of their stuff (and created tamejs to support it, which is nice), so apparently some people prefer the easiness over the speed vOv

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Anal Tributary posted:

hey

ive made views for django and flask before thanks to my terrible collabs with elgruntox

so i can at least confidently pretend to know what i'm talking about

(i like javascript :3:)

i know there's a bit of sarcasm here but seriously, learn some other languages

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Anal Tributary posted:

how about that none of this is relevant for the ways nodejs is currently being used by sites in production?

also okcupid is a c++ shop and even they decided to switch to node for some of their stuff (and created tamejs to support it, which is nice), so apparently some people prefer the easiness over the speed vOv
"some" meaning anything that doesn't need to be reliable, fast, or efficient

if your goal is to poo poo out a bunch of unreadable spaghetti code, waste cpu time, create some github repos and call it a day, then node.js and javascript are the technologies for you!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Anal Tributary posted:

apparently some people prefer the easiness over the speed vOv

these people are wrong

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dr. Honked posted:

dr honked youre p cool and tbqh i wouldnt mind spending an afternoon with you if i was in the area

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Inverse Icarus posted:

i know there's a bit of sarcasm here but seriously, learn some other languages

idk i'm trying to pick and choose my time

i've had school taking up time. i have to get some sort of job this summer; it's gonna be some retail thing, i've got actual projects i want to do (things in javascript, because that's what i know). so that leaves like not a lot of pure learning time

i'd like to learn c, or maybe lisp, but i don't have anything i'm working on that would really benefit from another language, or any projects i want to start that could use another language.

and plus there's so much more poo poo i have to learn besides just languages. i want to learn redis (not that there's much to learn), mongodb, oh, also how to better-use actual SQL dbs, some basic devops stuff (migrations, deploys, etc). i'd like to learn how to do concurrent programming, wanna play around with functional languages, etc., etc.

oh and i also really need to learn mobile web development. maybe even like iphone app development.

so i have to pick and choose. right now i'm doing emberjs stuff because it's an undeveloped ecosystem where i have a chance to really contribute, i'm pretty good at javascript, and a project i'm working on needed a js mvc framework and i found emberjs easier to get started with than backbonejs.

Janin posted:

if your goal is to poo poo out a bunch of unreadable spaghetti code,

cool i really like how not only did i mention that libraries exist to mitigate callback hell/spaghetti code, i also namedropped a specific one, and yet you still used this as a point :)

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Anal Tributary posted:

cool i really like how not only did i mention that libraries exist to mitigate callback hell/spaghetti code, i also namedropped a specific one, and yet you still used this as a point :)
I didn't say anything about callbacks. Wipe the stale 4loko out of your eyes and read again.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

javascript: the language for people who think php imposes too much structure

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

poo poo is getting real in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

how is "spaghetti code" in js a bigger issue than it is in any other language