Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ p-langs still having sql injection possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in the SQL Server Report Manager in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services SP2 and SQL Server 2005 SP4, 2008 SP2 and SP3, 2008 R2 SP1, and 2012 allows remote attackers to inject arbitrary web script or HTML via an unspecified parameter, aka "Reflected XSS Vulnerability."

Buffer overflow in the SQLVDIRLib.SQLVDirControl ActiveX control in Tools\Binn\sqlvdir.dll in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (aka SQL Server 8.0) allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (browser crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a long URL in the second argument to the Connect method. NOTE: this issue is not a vulnerability in many environments, since the control is not marked as safe for scripting and would not execute with default Internet Explorer settings.

Buffer overflow in the convert function in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP4, 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) SP4, and 2000 Desktop Engine (WMSDE) allows remote authenticated users to execute arbitrary code via a crafted SQL expression.

Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 through 2000, with SQL Authentication enabled, uses weak password encryption (XOR), which allows remote attackers to sniff and decrypt the password.

Heap-based buffer overflow in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP4, 8.00.2050, 8.00.2039, and earlier; SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) SP4; SQL Server 2005 SP2 and 9.00.1399.06; SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (WMSDE) on Windows Server 2003 SP1 and SP2; and Windows Internal Database (WYukon) SP2 allows remote authenticated users to cause a denial of service (access violation exception) or execute arbitrary code by calling the sp_replwritetovarbin extended stored procedure with a set of invalid parameters that trigger memory overwrite, aka "SQL Server sp_replwritetovarbin Limited Memory Overwrite Vulnerability."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

lol @ p-langs still having sql injection possibilities.

It's really the application, not the language, that has the vulnerability. Isn't it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in the SQL Server Report Manager in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services SP2 and SQL Server 2005 SP4, 2008 SP2 and SP3, 2008 R2 SP1, and 2012 allows remote attackers to inject arbitrary web script or HTML via an unspecified parameter, aka "Reflected XSS Vulnerability."

Buffer overflow in the SQLVDIRLib.SQLVDirControl ActiveX control in Tools\Binn\sqlvdir.dll in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (aka SQL Server 8.0) allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (browser crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a long URL in the second argument to the Connect method. NOTE: this issue is not a vulnerability in many environments, since the control is not marked as safe for scripting and would not execute with default Internet Explorer settings.

Buffer overflow in the convert function in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP4, 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) SP4, and 2000 Desktop Engine (WMSDE) allows remote authenticated users to execute arbitrary code via a crafted SQL expression.

Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 through 2000, with SQL Authentication enabled, uses weak password encryption (XOR), which allows remote attackers to sniff and decrypt the password.

Heap-based buffer overflow in Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP4, 8.00.2050, 8.00.2039, and earlier; SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) SP4; SQL Server 2005 SP2 and 9.00.1399.06; SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (WMSDE) on Windows Server 2003 SP1 and SP2; and Windows Internal Database (WYukon) SP2 allows remote authenticated users to cause a denial of service (access violation exception) or execute arbitrary code by calling the sp_replwritetovarbin extended stored procedure with a set of invalid parameters that trigger memory overwrite, aka "SQL Server sp_replwritetovarbin Limited Memory Overwrite Vulnerability."

sql server 2000 is pretty old but still better than a non-mssql

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

prefect posted:

It's really the application, not the language, that has the vulnerability. Isn't it?

you must be new here

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Werthog 95 posted:

you must be new here

Kinda, yeah. :blush:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

stop capitalizing, dont you know how to be ironic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

the language conventions and frameworks are the problems since they consider parameterized sql way too effort and enterprise to be worth it. in a real job w/ a real language (java/c#) you'd be fired if you did what p-langs do on a regular basis.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
any language that let's a retard build a string and send it to the db has that vulnerability

hey at least perl dbix is okay

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ok click the little question mark next to shaggar's av and study up a bit then you'll get it

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
hey shaggar i took ur advice on dbs a while ago and it's working gr8. ty m8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cool! :hfive:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also im not saying its not possible to do things the right way in a plang, but the general attitude in those communities is that the right way is effort and waaaay too verbose!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that is to say, to do things as right as possible in a plang. you're still better off using java/c#

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i don't really know any terrible idiots who literally send a raw string to the db but that's prob cos my company/peers know what they doing

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
has anyone here used kivy?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

WHOIS John Galt posted:

tef i remember you talking about baking web security into types, like having explicit type conversions from unsafe strings to safe strings, and etc. did you elaborate on that anywhere? is there particular research you were looking at?

there's something about that here: Tainting checker

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the language conventions and frameworks are the problems since they consider parameterized sql way too effort and enterprise to be worth it. in a real job w/ a real language (java/c#) you'd be fired if you did what p-langs do on a regular basis.

what popular p-lang web frameworks don't use parameterized queries

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

WHOIS John Galt posted:

tef i remember you talking about baking web security into types, like having explicit type conversions from unsafe strings to safe strings, and etc. did you elaborate on that anywhere? is there particular research you were looking at?

yesod enforces string safety in this way in templates to mitigate XSS attacks

http://www.yesodweb.com/book/shakespearean-templates

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

php internals drama

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

3. "PHP Should Be Implementation Neutral, and Support All Paradigms Poorly".

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Shaggar posted:

also im not saying its not possible to do things the right way in a plang, but the general attitude in those communities is that the right way is effort and waaaay too verbose!!

mega-laffo if you pay any attention at all to the 'language communities'

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

yeah man i'm part of the ruby /scene/

go to the meetups, get my free food, scope some chicks

you know, /the scene/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

WHOIS John Galt posted:

yeah man i'm part of the ruby /scene/

go to the meetups, get my free food, scope some chicks

you know, /the scene/

unironically this, except for the scoping chicks part

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
board of reading language discussion

the arguments cycle every 50 pages
how can talk of programming be so limited

i feel hollow and unrequited

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MeruFM posted:

everything is recursion and repetition

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

MeruFM posted:

still better than hn

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MeruFM posted:

because this is a general audience thread and any time somebody talks about something cinteresting dumb people will call it "ivory tower"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
biject johnynek onto ulrich drepper

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

sql server 2000 is pretty old but still better than a non-mssql

sql server 2000 doesn't have mvcc

so no, it isn't even as good as postgres 7

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
sql server 2000 also had bad management tools

ms sql didn't stop being a joke until 2005. now it owns some bones

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MeruFM posted:

:2bong:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

php is the only language community in which parameterized queries are not the norm/default. perl dbi, python mysqldb etc all expect parameterized queries.

php is special only because 90% of the php userbase is on a 5+ year old version
then again pdo probably has bugs in its parameterized query support because no one has ever used it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

php is the only language community in which parameterized queries are not the norm/default. perl dbi, python mysqldb etc all expect parameterized queries.

then again pdo probably has bugs in its parameterized query support because no one has ever used it

I'm currently stuck with PHP 5.3 (two versions old, right), because the mssql stuff has been removed (in favor of parameterized stuff I really want to use), but I can't convince the bosses that rewriting would be worth the time. :smith:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I used pdo a little and it was okay. Really annoyingly low level but ok

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Deus Rex posted:

yesod enforces string safety in this way in templates to mitigate XSS attacks

http://www.yesodweb.com/book/shakespearean-templates

cool imma czech it out

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

because this is a general audience thread and any time somebody talks about something cinteresting dumb people will call it "ivory tower"

quote:

As a member of the knitting community, I find the use of String here both confusing and inaccurate. Am I to understand that this library gives scala the power to materialize abstract concepts like Int into physical fiber?
god i hate people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
welp
https://twitter.com/Fayettevillains

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

quote:

these two are more related than you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

prefect posted:

I'm currently stuck with PHP 5.3 (two versions old, right), because the mssql stuff has been removed (in favor of parameterized stuff I really want to use), but I can't convince the bosses that rewriting would be worth the time. :smith:

let's be fair here: php 5.5 is not that big a deal. 5.5 is probably less different from 5.3 than 5.3 was from 5.2. 5.3 introduced a ton of important stuff like late static binding and closures; the most useful thing in later versions is probably short array syntax