Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol @ the existence of groovy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it is just SO much more convenient when my computer nitpicks at my code with sperglike intensity instead of just handling all that poo poo for me

i know this is trolling but lol, this is like when my intro to C prof suggested that we compile with -Wall and my first reaction was "but it still compiles, why would i want it to complain at me like that?"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just surround everything with mutex locks and call it a day

yes i use c++, how did you know

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

python does it wrong always

this is getting pretty old, this isn't even shaggaring anymore. put some effort into it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Gogey posted:

It's our functional programming & data structures class. I know nothing about OCaml, but I know it's the class that makes a bunch of people drop the major :v:

sounds like the same whiny bitches who asked "why are we using this scheme/ml/prolog poo poo when we already know c++???" in my programming language concepts class

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Internaut! posted:

is your class offered within the context of a science degree, or an engineering degree

computer science. i was a comp. eng. and didn't have to take it but i did anyway because it was fun

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Gogey posted:

The only difference between our Arts CS Degree and Eng. CS is the core. Eng has to take multivariable and physics (+ some intro engineering/stats stuff), Arts has those as whatever credits. So the B.A. CS students take that class too.

It gets dropped because it's known to be one of the hardest classes in the major (along with the Operating Systems practicum), not because "a bloo bloo language."

Anyway, the K&R C textbook is amazing. Any others like this (preferably php because its the best (better than lua))?

how the gently caress is CS an "art"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Gogey posted:

http://utf-8.jp/public/aaencode.html

school of arts & sciences gives out bachelors of arts (they give out both for CS at brown too)
i still don't get the difference (it's got "science" right in the loving name) but whatever, some schools are dumb i guess

MEAT TREAT posted:

I remember our take home final in that class was to solve 50 problems in scheme, ml and prolog. That poo poo loving owned.
one of our last prolog assignments of the semester was pretty difficult and when i finally figured it out i threw the solution up on pastebin for a classmate of mine, but forgot to tick the 'private' checkbox. the entire class had it within hours :engleft:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

c# owns, i'm sorry i ever doubted you shaggar

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shameproof posted:

I got a C# question. If I'm doing a Composite Pattern using interfaces, is there a fast way to implement an interface with a masterclass and then automatically delegate the behavior to a component?

Here's an example, I'd really like to not have to write out how BaseballPlayer does the SwingBat, CallShot, and RunToBase methods, and just have all that responsibility offloaded to BatBehavior.
code:
    interface IBattingBehavior
    {
        void SwingBat();
        void CallShot();
        void RunToBase(int baseNumber);
    }

class BaseballPlayer : IBattingBehavior
    {
        IBattingBehavior BatBehavior;

public void SwingBat() { BatBehavior.SwingBat();}
        public void CallShot() { BatBehavior.CallShot();}
        public void RunToBase(int baseNumber) { BatBehavior.RunToBase(baseNumber);}
    }

e: i'm dumb

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm new at this c# thing :saddowns:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

carmack said it, it must be true

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

and yeah I know iphone screenshot is scrubby as gently caress but i'm on my smoke break and I forget agh spiders' website

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

who the gently caress does that for code? and apparently since i'm "building upon" it, i also have to license my thing under CC-AN-NC-SA-gently caress-YOU? ugh
is that really so different from gpl 3? but yeah like they said, nobody's going to pay you for your dumb game so what the gently caress do you care

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Internaut! posted:

vim all riced up with a ton of halfassed plugins

i use a vim plugin for visual studio, basically the same thing

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

man some of us don't have a choice :saddowns:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

what's wrong w/ jenkins?

it's terrible

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

using ruby for some online class

no opinion on the language itself yet but holy poo poo do ruby people love their monkey cheese

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

welp guess i'll just learn what i can from this course and then never use ruby again thanks all

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

but mongo is web scale

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

shrughes posted:

Jesus loving christ that's not hard to do at all. You don't keep some table of requests and ask which request the parse is for, this poo poo is called closures.

Yeah and you pay the cost for context switching and overhead of threads or processes, which is why people still do event-based code to this day.

Why would your writes block to be sane? Get better at writing. Learn 2 code.

More like

code:

a -> p -> d -> reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead -> reeeeeeeeeeeeeead more -> wriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite -> push.
a -> p -> d -> reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead -> reeeeeeeeeeeeeead more ->                            wriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite -> push.

Note that the single-threaded event-based version looks like this:

code:

a -> p -> d -> reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead -> reeeeeeeeeeeeeead more -> wriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite -> push.
                a -> p -> d -> reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead -> reeeeeeeeeeeeeead more ->             wriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite -> push.

Put event loops on multiple threads, problem solved.

What are you talking about? In all event-based code the reads are going to happen in parallel. You don't schedule a read and then block anybody else from reading while you do your thing. Non-blocking IO is the thing one does with async code, LOL if you're using callbacks with blocking I/O.

Because that's how Javascript loving works. That's how it works in the browser, that's what Javascript engines support. Have you tried to take javascript engines and run more than one inside a process? Have you tried making them run on top of green threads? Guess what: the fancypants C++ programmers didn't make them compatible with all such notions.

Blah blah blah Ryan Dahl is an idiot. We know that. We don't need you to be an idiot too.
tldr: node.js is rockstar hacker tech

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ruby trip report: "poetry mode" can suck a dick

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

threefive posted:

y'all i've been lazy lately. i need to code more outside of work, what should i pick up?

go to coursera or edx or whatever and pick something you haven't done before

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

there's enough poker games already, just stop

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jabor posted:

Why would you think it is a joke? Did whoever teach you revision control say "don't check binaries in" and you thought he meant all binaries instead of just your build outputs?
holy poo poo what an :iceburn:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

svn add "C:\Program Files (x86)"

yeah sure ok

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

0xB16B00B5 posted:

another place where web apps succeed. how will will you get a clean, consistant look between operation systems

making GBS threads on xaml? i thought you were shaggaring for win8

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

you're in luck!

gonna try this out right now while I'm killing time at work

what the gently caress did you do to the rules thread :mad:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hey i'm an idiot but i just want to thank whoever it was that recommended Effective C++. if i had a choice i'd be using a good language but at least now my c++ is slightly less terrible

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FamDav posted:

Now go buy More Effective C++.

Also C++ is a good language in that all languages are a bad language.

gently caress

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i just installed the official visual studio 2012 theme editor and im using the dark theme it comes w/

oh, hey, this is pretty swell

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i just browse apod until i find something pretty

alternately: bing desktop :iamafag:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how about an obscure little wallpaper shop known as DIGITAL BLASPHEMY

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

holy poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nope it's this one

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

type nothing and let the interpreter sort it out
wish you'd type nothing :xd:

seriously though duck typing infuriated me in the month I spent loving around with ruby so I guess I'll stick to the c++ ghetto

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rotor posted:

id be down, but what's the third and fourth value?

balls and nips

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

most of my time in visual studio is spent scrolling mindlessly through source code for five seconds because someone is walking by

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tef posted:

the real problem with type inference is that it makes good errors much harder.

forgive the dumb baby but isn't this exactly what shaggar is saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i write c++/cx these days and have the choice to use auto but it just seems way less readable to me. i like to know what things are