Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

I am in posted:

Well, turns out these new amazing features have all been invented in the 60's and they are all really easy to rewrite in readable and maintainable Java

what the gently caress are you on about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I am in posted:

in the 60's when they were inventing modern computing they didn't know how to make a fast computer let alone a fast programming language

so they just invented all the language features and combined them in different ways to make slow and terrible programming languages because who can blame them, it was all new

so now that we have more computing power than we know what do with, and java pre-empted all to good language features to create the java ecosystem, what can we look forward to?

an endless stream of terrible remixes

i dont think you rly understand the idea of different programming paradigms

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

i dont think the subset of valid js that consists of only "table flip dudes" is gonna be enough to program in

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Sulk posted:

clearly java is dying

isnt that site based on some stupid metric like "total sloc committed to sourceforge in each language" or w/e iirc

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

rip sourceforge

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

tef posted:

here is the converter I used http://utf-8.jp/public/aaencode.html hth

mad

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

idiot hell fucker posted:

loving lol at this post

classic yospos

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

i fuckin love mathematic

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

rotor posted:

literally cannot bring myself to open a text editor if I'm not being paid for it

i havent rly done any proper coding since i graduated like 6 months ago cos im completely unmotivated. kind of burnt out i guess. the story would be very different if i were actually paid to do it X hours a day. i do still rly enjoy digging my teeth into a problem and am mad into maths+cs+coding but i dont tend to do it in my free time for fun any more. how am i supposed to differentiate myself in the eyes of an interviewer from some useless shitlord that knows nothing

like are there any interviewers out there who will actually give me a pencil + paper and let me play about with ideas and solve some problems rather than asking me about poo poo i dont even remember

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

i could rewrite it to use proper computer vision algos i guess cos its a complete joke atm + also written in php

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

for (var i=0; i<string.length-1; i++) {
  counts[string.charAt(i)] = counts[string.charAt(i)]+1 || 1;

what the gently caress dude

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

_.each(string.split(""), function(char) { counts[char] = counts[char]+1 || 1 }); is a cool one-liner but it's not like there's anything with just using a for loop

stop trying to shoehorn imperative code into fp

_.map(
  _.groupBy(s.split(''), _.identity),
  function(e){
    return {letter:e[0], count:e.length};
  }
)

or u can chain it like what t-rex said yea

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

TiMBuS posted:

$ ./perl6

> 1 >>> 4
Missing << or >>
> 1 >>><< 4
False
> :I
"I" => Bool::True
>

lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Inverse Icarus posted:

apparently this conversation reminded her of the time they changed the ui on the analytics page and now she's yelling about that again

buy her an account

e: give her your account

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

ahhh spiders posted:

are you in europe or somewhere that actually thinks people should be educated

thats an exclusive or

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

CaptainMeatpants posted:

going to school for computers was literally, sincerely, unambiguously the worst decision of my life

maybe u should have gone to a school for people instead

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

homercles posted:

in perl you can configure the base index to be any positive number

perl superiority

stop it your making perl sound poo poo

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Panic! At The cisco posted:

post ur erdos #

im #2 from tony hoare irl

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

wanting to take "a course on algos" makes me laff almost as much as when people refer to their CS programme's "maths module"

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

explain?

cs is maths

so singling out one particular module as "the maths one" makes me wonder wtf the others are

similarly i think you underestimate how important knowing about data structures and algorithms is. theyre like....what cs is all about. theyre not some minor topic you can dodge

i realise criticism alone isnt very helpful to you so maybe you can give us a feel for what you already know about, that we might point you in the right direction

what do you know about trees and graphs n poo poo? can u read a statement or proof written in propositional logic? how about using predicate logic to describe different properties of different types of graphs, e.g. acyclicity

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Anal Tributary posted:

none of this; the highest math i've taken is calc I.

then this should definitely be your starting point. being able to understand formal logic and reading/writing proofs and WHAT A GRAPH IS is a fundamental skill in cs

you can forget most of what you did in calc cos its not reallllllly applicable much at this point

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

CLRS is an obvious book suggestion for data structures and algorithms idk what the ~goon opinion~ of it is but its probably on like 99% of university reading lists

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

yo analvolcano go and learn what a set is or something idk

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

while clrs is an excellent reference, dpv is very good imo while being concise and eminently readable

the penultimate draft is also available fo free

nice. anal volcano u should read that ^

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Char posted:

alternatively what do you know about software development i.e. the thing that real people do at real computers making real applications in the real world

maths is hella relevant to non-trivial computing problems im sorry
neat example: this poo poo is the reason its possible to do this poo poo on non-toy programs before the heat death of the universe (its cool. companies like nokia actually use it to analyse their code irl)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Internaut! posted:

sorry how does galois theory inform some code checking tool

I scanned both articles and came up bubkis

when you formulate a dataflow analysis problem as an instance of a general dataflow framework (by defining an appropriate lattice + dataflow eq'ns + finding the "least" fixpoint of them + evaluating that at the cfg vertex youre interested in) you typically define abs/rep functions for mapping back and forth between the direct program state and the abstracted state. you need to ensure these conjugate pairs of funcs behave correctly. if you use funcs which form a galois connection, you can later use the fusion theorem to prove they still act correctly when you start dicking about with fixpoints

this is prob handwavey to the point of being incorrect cos i'm trying to piece it together by looking at my old notes and i cant remember poo poo. if you want ill try and do a proper writeup later

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

I want. plus i'm totally curious what method do they use to find the fixpoint

its just mfp/mop, iirc the dragon book has something about it + the result about mop being ideal when ???? whatever the condition was. when something is monotonic?? idk

kind of shocked how much of this stuff ive forgotten :(

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

i feel like i should read higher order perl but i mash text around just fine w/ perl right now

read it its good

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

:pwn:thon

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

shaggars gimmick has got boring

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

commute to chandler?

*upwards nod* how u doin?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Internaut! posted:

that developers with grad degrees in hard sciences in environments like wall street use proven, efficient, fast old tools and technologies because we aren't clever or industrious enough to pick up the latest fotm

and not because we can literally measure the impact to our profits when our trade data falls out of byte alignment in memory for example

lol are you for real

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

sorry im too busy being a wall street wealth creator with a degree in the hard sciences to learn your new flavour of the month skills

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

im c0dem0nster69

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Sweevo posted:

make nodes in large data structures align on 16-byte bounderies, you can fill a cache line with one read, plus use the segment registers to point to the one you want, then optimise by hardcoding the offsets for each field

hrm ive actually never thought of it that way before

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

yaoi prophet posted:

wait how do you generate the foreign import declarations from header files

very carefully

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

lol "three"? as if the universe is discrete, get a clue moran!!!

"people" are a construct so good luck counting them

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DSL joke

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

i tried to use scala once + it completely broke + i couldnt tell from the error messages if it was me or the compiler or the runtime or what that hosed up. cool language i guess??? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

realistically it was probably me