Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
any language where you cant write anonymous functions is trash. javascript is the best language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Police Academy III posted:

the best language is lisp and the only people who don't think so are those too dumb to understand lisp. c is also good b/c you can write lisp interpreters in it.

im sure lisp was all very well in the past but in the modern world we can have the best of both worlds. first-class functions and clean, logical syntax (c syntax). javascript is the answer, its what you always wanted from lisp but knew it was lacking, embrace it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Ronald Raiden posted:

javascript isn't really c syntax

It has all the best parts of c syntax tho.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

tinselt0wn posted:

JavaScript is pretty amazing cause you can use one language for both client side and server side. No more learning a dozen languages to make your web app. One is all you need.

this guy right here speaks the truth.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Rufo posted:

i havent rly done any proper coding since i graduated like 6 months ago cos im completely unmotivated. kind of burnt out i guess. the story would be very different if i were actually paid to do it X hours a day. i do still rly enjoy digging my teeth into a problem and am mad into maths+cs+coding but i dont tend to do it in my free time for fun any more. how am i supposed to differentiate myself in the eyes of an interviewer from some useless shitlord that knows nothing

like are there any interviewers out there who will actually give me a pencil + paper and let me play about with ideas and solve some problems rather than asking me about poo poo i dont even remember

you should totally show intervieweres goatkcd rufo.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The thing that most boggled my mind when i learned basic C++ is what you do if you want to define special behaviour of the postincrement and preincrement operators for your custom datatype.

you can define both, but because just writing "function ++ ()..." or whatever (i cant remember the syntax and dont care) would be ambiguous which one you meant, they are distinguished by the rule that for one of them you pass the method no parameters and for the other one you pass an unused integer parameter.

i want to know who in the gently caress came up with that and was it a joke that got taken seriously.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Sweevo posted:

every criticism of c++ is literally "bloo bloo syntax"

its a legitimate complaint in cases where the syntax literally makes no goddamn sense at all

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

newreply.php posted:

i dare you to say openoffice is anything but terrible

e: nvm, stupid

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Werthog posted:

this makes perfect sense because, knowing him, he probably flipped open that algorithms textbook that's sitting on his desk (you all know the one) to a random page and spent five seconds trying to memorize it before i came in for the interview. reading comprehension is not his strong suit

heh. whose isn't.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
i like graphs.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

tinselt0wn posted:

i like graphs, but i do not like graph's [posting]

makes u think

graph chat. post directed forests and the completest graphs u got

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
dijkstra's algorithm bestest algorithm

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
tef ive seen you say that in python strings are "infinitely deep" a couuple of times. what does this mean tia

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Police Academy III posted:

it means that indexing a string gives you another string, so you can do "fart"[0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0][0]...

oh. i assumed it would be something more interesting than that. idk why you'd care much about that

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
why are programming languages so bad,

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

tef posted:

it's a little more annoying than that

python strings act like lists, that contain lists, etc. there is no notion of a character. the problem is telling a list of things and a string apart becomes awkward.

you'll have hit this when you've passed some arg "foo" instead of ("foo",)

it causes some other issues, for some reason, python lacks a flatten operator (guido :argh:), and so everyone ends up rewriting it in their own unique way: for example

code:
def flatten(input):
    out = []
    try:
        for x in input:
            out.extend(flatten(x))
    except StandardError, e:
        out.append(input)
    return out

print flatten([1,[2,3],4])
print flatten("abc")
flatten "abc" shouldn't work but it does because you hit the recursion limit :q:

oh. yeah that seems quite a nasty thing to do. Presumably there is a python version of is_string you can use to avoid doing that any time you want to flatten a list of (lists of) strings?

tef posted:

aside: array indexing on strings isn't a good idea when you actually use unicode rather than the sticking your fingers in your ears *la la la* everything is ascii *la la la nonsense*

Why? because combining characters?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

tef posted:

that and variable width encodings. unless you use utf-32 to store strings, you will have to deal with variable width encodings in utf-8 or utf-16 (surrogate pairs). being able to leap n chars into a string without scanning is a holdover from ascii.

But what's the problem with array indexing of strings if you index codepoints or characters rather than bytes? (Characters to avoid the combining characters thing.) The language should be able to do that surely.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Sweevo posted:

when each character is a variable size then you have to walk the entire string every time you try to access the Nth entry

so don't do it if performance is crucial? idgaf and if i did gaf i'd just find a more efficient way to do whatever it is i wanted to do

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

tef posted:

combining characters are different from variable width encodings, that's a whole separate issue altogether. :q:

yes I know.

with the variable width thing, you're saying: you either have to store in utf-32 (expensive in terms of memory), or scan through the string to find the offset (expensive in terms of computation). I'm saying I'm fine with that, gimme my array indexing.

as regards normalisation forms and all that, I have to concede I don't know enough to have an opinion.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
YOSPOS: Computer is pretending

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Deuterieux posted:

cussing? well i never *fans self, collapses onto fainting couch*

we didn;t curse or call anyone unkind names, we are nice people. why yes we did snidely insinuate that we were going to try to get someone fired for tweeting an opinion we dont like, why do u ask

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

it's really funny that i claim to like a Bad Thing when it's obvious that i don't actually like it, and for that matter nobody does

but there are loads of people who really do unironically think php is great? admittedly the vast majority are uninformed to some degree but still

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

next hilarious gimmick ideas for shaggar

post about farmville in games

i would follow that gimmick

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
i ♥ tiny bug childe

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
gently caress you guys my post was funny :mad:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
all good things come to an end

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Server running at http://127.0.0.1:1337

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Deuterieux posted:

i got into an argument with somebody the other day about how sometimes there's a place for a tyrannical philosopher king who suspends everything, fixes poo poo, then gives it all back. the problem is finding somebody willing to do the third step, let along the second.

e: i could argue that lincoln was on this path what with the whole habeus corpus thing during the civil war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
replace teh patriarchy with a catriarchy, jobbe donne.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Sweevo posted:

by why do they ALWAYS choose introduction of programming? when they clearly have no aptitude for programming and grind the class to a halt by making the tutor re-explain variables to them for 20 minutes every week

if the tutor doesnt politely ask them to come to office hours they are a bad tutor

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

JawnV6 posted:

asm's not that bad, gets a bad rap

tedious more than anything

mlyp

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Im learning python

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
oh good another slapfight between zombywuf and janin. you two should really just meet up and get rid of all this tension by way of a vigorous sexual encounter

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
numerical solutions of equations is dumb and boring. solve problems analytically every day

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

ahhh spiders posted:

yeah! jam that meme in there

blimey, ive been rumbled !!!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

MEAT TREAT posted:

I never used it after school :(

Really liked Cal 3 and Diff Eq, fun stuff.

watching americans talk about these things is weird because they say things like "oh calculus 2 was my favourite calculus" and expect you to know what the hell calculus 2 is. are your mathematics courses really totally 100% uniform across every institution in the whole country or what

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

i did pure, stats and mechanics

calculus is this guy:

youre acting the goat more curly fries

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Jonny 290 posted:

if you don't standardize your classes, when people transfer (which they do all the loving time) the credits they earned at your college may not transfer over and welp they wasted their money and will tell their friends to not go to your college

one thing that is very bad to do is to give any reason at all to your new school to deny credits from old schools, which they loving love to do, because it means you have to take more classes at the new school and pay them more money

then i guess that is something we have to look forward to here as the dickheads in charge do their best to make our education system ever more like the us one

(standardisation isn't necessarily a bad thing, but your account of what prompts it sounds like a shame)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
whoops i appear to have lfposted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
lmao if you spend your day puzzling out how you can make your codes fit in 10 bits of rams instead of 12 or whatever the gently caress