Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

THC posted:

objective c is the worst loving poo poo

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
come work for me at my startup in canada

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
bring money

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
what's a good place to get a company logo done (besides SA-mart, i don't agree with their policy that you have to buy a logo that's posted in the thread)

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
lua

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

THC posted:

learning it after years of java and I hate it. its yucky

i did the exact same thing basically and it's not that hard. are you using the stanford itunes u course

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

THC posted:

no... should I

yeah, it's really good. i think it's CS193p

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

multigl posted:

just use the underlying C functions then if it bothers you that much. ObjC is like a tiny little layer on top of C.

that's dumb

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
arduino uses straight c

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i've actually compiled and run templated c++ code on arduino lol

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Jonny 290 posted:

as soon as i get newjob im gonna write a script to telnet into every walmart store in the country and run this particular script that updates our switch/port listings

how high you guys reckon i can take fork()

system-dependent

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
how many briberies is that equal to

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

volkadav posted:

~ effort poste ~

I love all the people that claim that js is suitable for large scale application development because there are libraries to do X, Y or Z. Never mind that most of them still suck for whatever reason (e.g. lacking or lovely documentation) so good luck picking the least bad out of the herd of contenders and are all generally developed by ADHD hipsters who will drop maintenance at the drop of a PBR: all of them can only do so much to hide the underlying language from you which is filled to the brim with weird behavior (if you think otherwise, you haven't used js very long... a small appetizer of crazy here: https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat). When somebody has to write a book specifically calling out which parts of your language are good, and it becomes a best-seller, that might be a hint that there's a big steaming pile of badness in your language too. It's not like somebody has had to write "C: The Good Parts."

The ultimate irony here is that none of the people jumping up and down about how awesome server-side js is have even an ounce of historical knowledge about their favorite best-ever-zomg-so-awesome-unicorns-and-puppies!!!! language. Javascript on the server-side was tried in the 1990s and was an utter failure (trivia quiz: without using Google, what servers even supported this?). It sucked for writing big apps then, it sucks for writing big apps now, and I'm seriously afraid that a generation of people will grow up thinking that JS is a good idea and waste both their lives and the time of the wiser heads that have to maintain their poo poo later on. I'm glad that you like writing performant server-side code, good on you, but realize that node is only (sort of, in some situations) fast because it embodies a particular design pattern, not because it happens to be javascript. You can write fast evented code in other languages that aren't formless blobs of over-hyped poo (and also note that event handling isn't the only way to skin a cat here).

JS is only tolerable in one place, and that's in the browser to drive event handlers and such for interactive things. That's only true because there aren't any other options (except vbs, lol).

I mean don't get me wrong, I sympathize with liking a language that's totally unsuitable for programming in the large. I liked perl for a long time. :v: But hell is other people's perl code. Say what you will about Java, it puts a hard upper limit on how completely insane you can be (sure there's a FactoryFactoryFactory but that code is still easier to read than somebody who thought it would be cool to write the monthly payroll cron job as one ten thousand character regexp or whatever the gently caress cat-on-keyboard spew you can find in the worst perl codebases). Like so many things, building solid systems requires picking the right tools for the job to hand, and JS is usually not the right tool. Much as you can use a screwdriver as a prybar though, people keep trying to do the wrong thing because they're too ignorant or lazy to reach for the right tools and just like in carpentry will end up hurting themselves or others.

I... guess I'm just :mad: about javascript. Sorry guys, as you were. I hear the bay area is neat? :frogbon:

Agreed

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i learned yesterday that the game logic in grim fandango and the later monkey island games was written in lua

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

rotor posted:

2 months ago I saw a web page with an implementation of asteroids in a browser that got like 5fps

10 years ago I saw a web page with an implementation of asteroids in svg that got like 5 fps

15 years ago I saw an implementation of asteroids in java that got like 5 fps

20 years ago I saw an implementation of asteroids written in pascal that got like 5fps

~*~progress~*~

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i use mac mail and nothing on my windows desktop

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
it's also cool how "progress" is apparently people throwing up their hands and saying "threads are hard!" and using a loving javascript webserver

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

but threads are hard :confused:

it's loving stupid to think this sorry. bye

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

TiMBuS posted:

yea co-op threads suck for long algos. i have a gui program that draws a graph and stutters if i dont use a pre-emptive thread, but poo poo i wish there was a solution that wasn't threads (this is on windows so i cant fork+pipe either argh)

dunno about node.js stuff i dont use it and hopefully never will

why don't you use threads

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Janin posted:

haskell is awesome if you want to write high-performance (lol, erlang) servers that don't crash, or if you want to have a nicer interface to some gnarly old C/C++/Python/Lua/etc library, or you are working on an extremely constrained environment and want to write a program with guaranteed-fixed memory allocation and cpu time, or or or or ...

basically, it's the best language ever for anything that isn't windows GUI programming

the nice thing with haskell w.r.t. threads is that you can use its type system to enforce lots of different constraints on stuff like shared memory access or locking that would otherwise require hundreds of pages of documentation and "IMPORTANT: DONT CALL THESE PROCEDURES IN THE SAME THREAD AS ..." warnings.

nah it sucks. cheers

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
haskell is stupid and no one uses it, thank god

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
not flushing the toilet when you take a piss because you want to pretend you're a conservationist and are protecting the environment is the most moronic liberal guilt bullshit i've ever heard of

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

BonzoESC posted:

in rural places with self-contained septic systems it's not a liberal guilt thing but a legit practical thing to do so you don't have to call the honey wagon as often

but lol@ rurals live in a city morans

if that were the case why wouldn't you have a dual-flush toilet

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tinselt0wn posted:

erlang and haskell are cool cause you can spray poo poo across all your rooms simultaneously and are notified when you miss a spot, without the global poo poo smearing taking a poo poo

Haha, yeah, but how about explaining it without using an analogy that involves your posting?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Nomnom Cookie posted:

haskell is old news the only reason anyone says anything good about it is that we don't have a new hotness yet. for free i will share what the Next Big Thing will look like: language support for bloom filters, tries, and sharding. maybe some other things that you can do perfectly well with one or at most two arrays. it will not support arrays.

another event-based single-threaded network server. this time it uses blitzbasic

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
yea thats why i like prolog i just ask for a baked cake and it happens. pwned

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
gas

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
once again a legion of retards fall to shaggar's trolling

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

newreply.php posted:

lets just talk about languages that make the most money for ppl knowing them, such as objective-c

also happens to be a sick bomb-rear end language for super cool dudes

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Shaggar posted:

objc is like they took all the bad parts of c++/c#/java and put them together.

stfu

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

ppp posted:

your posts are in a programming language?lol

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Crankit posted:

why don't people like pascal?

it's like athousand years old and even then it was for weirdos

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

i have a real interview for a real actual job tomorrow and i could not be more nervous

its frustrating because i'm a C guy mainly i mean i can code a complex C program in my sleep without looking at a single reference and i can do C# and java too but i don't know them nearly as well and the job posting doesn't give a clue what i'd actually be using it has the usual C/C++/C#/Java/Perl/JavaScript/SQL/XML/HTML mumblemess of every programming language that has does or ever will exist and is it too much to ask that you let me know ahead of time what it is you actually epxect me to know

if they wanted actual libraries and "technologies" within those languages they would have specified

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

what are you actually trying to prove with this?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
epic meltdown

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
destroy their balls

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
the company i worked for out of college moved me into their job market

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
also $5000 for a university degree seems cheap, are you in europe or somewhere that actually thinks people should be educated

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
im bad at writing things, and also thinkng and living. im dead. bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
delphi, tcl, pascal, a trio of weirdo languages for people who write software in the woods