Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i got so many babes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

rotor posted:

pascal never caught on because it was designed as a teaching language. Scheme never caught on either.

also lol @ 1 based arrays

lua has those and it makes zero difference at all unless you're a big baby

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

lua has 1.0 based arrays :q:

big deal

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

homercles posted:

in perl you can configure the base index to be any positive number

perl superiority

who cares

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

tef posted:

actually in lua parlance, they're called tablesand they're part hash, part array :q: (in 5.0+)

http://www.jucs.org/jucs_11_7/the_implementation_of_lua/jucs_11_7_1159_1176_defigueiredo.pdf

this is cool thanks

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
lua owns

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
have you tried actually problem solving instead of expecting a language to save you

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

having the language prevent concurrency issues from even being valid is p sweet

wow! a real live silver bullet!

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Janin posted:

any time you can offload some sort of annoying mechanical process to the compiler, it's a huge win.

what you just said makes no sense. then again, you're Janin

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Internaut! posted:

I know this may be hard to comprehend as a 20 something android developer but once upon a time programmers had to manage their own memory, and it was such a clusterfuck for the average code walloper that languages like java/c#/vb/ruby/python/etc were invented and became massively successful in part because they delivered the silver bullet of not needing manage your own memory

yes you can still get into trouble in those languages if you're dumb about releasing resources but it's literally a million times harder

so yeah these things exist, sorry if your fred brooks book said otherwise

lol you're such a condescending moron

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
seriously loving kill yourself

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
another worthless post from Internaut

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
lmao you thought that kickstarter was an investment website

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
as far as i can tell your posting consists entirely of tipping your hand on just how out of touch you are, while condescending to people younger than you about things they already knew. please die of old age

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

ahh spiders: get out

you're tiny bug child

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

why look, another three-post combo of shrill, histrionic bullshit tangentially related to the post it was replying to. that's our ah spiders

the only reason anyone pays any attention to you is because 90% of the people in here are morons and can't detect really lazy trolls

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

the only reason anyone pays attention to you is because once you decide to poo poo up a thread you start making half of the posts in it

because the amount of truth i need to communicate doesn't fit within a single post

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Janin posted:

tiny bug child vs ahhh spiders cripplefight :allears:

:qq: please pay attention to me i'm janin :qq:

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

wins32767 posted:

I wish I was young again. The older you get the harder it is to get that awesome feeling from solving a really awesome problem. Unless you work at an awesome job you spend more and more time solving problems you've solved over and over and over while you watch other people keep getting that rush from stuff you figured out a decade ago because you have to give something to the junior guy and why not give them something boring? Eventually your life outside of work takes up more and more of your time that you'd spend learning new tools or technologies and you get more and more political responsibilities so your ability to code starts with wither a little bit. Then some kid who has a tenth of your experience comes and (with some justification) starts spouting off about how you're out of touch so you just sadly smile and go back to fixing your bugs that originated from not paying enough attention because you were juggling ten different balls so that none of the other developers had to deal with all the bullshit and hope that the kid doesn't end up in the same place as you in a few short years.

WOw dad i didnt know you posted on something awful grampa

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
that makes sense though. im sorry you're so bitter Internaut

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

all that talk about two degrees vs. no degrees reminds me of this one supervisor i had when i worked a lovely computer lab job in college. spent 6 years in school his first time around because he started out in comp. eng. and couldn't hack it, switched to a dual major in japanese and east asian studies because anime. graduated, worked a call center job for a year, took two years off for "mental health," then came back to get another bachelor's in IST. what a winner

lmao at getting a degree in japanese because you like anime

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
asm

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

the answer is c++

and it's kinda cool so far but they're not real far into it yet. first actual assignments were posted yesterday so if you want in now's the time

what's the ambiguity in C++?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

ambiguity's probably the wrong word for it (this is why i'm taking the class, i want to ~learn~) but the example he used was that for a long time compilers saw the closing >s in a nested template declaration (e.g. list<vector<int>>) as the stream operator and you had to put whitespace in there to make it work

don't they still do that

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
i don't have anything newer than gcc 4.2 which still gives me an error

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
it actually knows what the problem is, though

error: `>>' should be `> >' within a nested template argument list

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
excellent, no rebuttal from confirmed old crank Internaut. as usual

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

having trouble understanding why this would possibly be the correct behavior unless there was a valid way of using the stream operator within a nested template argument list, apart from spergy "when in doubt, fail" attitudes

there is

A<int, 1024>>2> a;

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Internaut! posted:

you're an android developer

game, set, match

i develop for ios and in the past i developed C++. you're an old gently caress who's quickly becoming irrelevant

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

JawnV6 posted:

"hm, im off track and might not have a goddamn clue what context im in, BETTER CHAREG AHEAD"

ambiguity has the potential to add a fun, wacky dimension to programming that i think future generations will really appreciate

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Internaut! posted:

cool I have many iOS devices link your apps

gently caress you

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

unironically this

the old-school beardo attitude of crash-and-burning whenever there is the tiniest recoverable error is so stupid

nice troll

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Sock on a Fish posted:

going from python to ruby sucks because reference counting garbage collection takes care of a lot of poo poo for you

for example

i have a method that does a buffered read of a file from s3 and writes it to disk

a separate method would then untar that file on disk, but the untar would always complain about unexpected EOF

but if i tried untarring the file after that exception was thrown, poo poo was fine

turns out i wasn't explicitly closing the file, which only appeared inside the one method, but that meant it just kind of hung out with an unflushed buffer until the exception cleanup closed the file

is garbage collection guaranteed to be immediate when an object goes out of scope in ruby?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

ohshit

kind of contrived, sure, but it exists

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Internaut! posted:

I was honestly expecting a list of commercially successful well-reviewed apps

i'm working on an ios app but my android app is already well-reviewed

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

but wait, there's no opening < to match those >s, couldn't the lexer still figure it out

i dunno, you can construct that scenario though

A<B<int, 1024>>2>> ab;

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

jooky posted:

world of warcraft addons are written in lua

a lot of games use lua. grim fandango used lua. lua is old as heck

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
why wouldn't you run into that problem in ruby then

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Werthog posted:

so if i'm understanding correctly, it's not that it's impossible to parse, just that it's a pain in the rear end

maybe they shouldn't have made ">>" mean 3 (at least?) different things in the first place?

i guess my example wasn't technically ambiguous unless you only read it left to right and didn't use any kind of contextual inference

but yeah the stream operator is loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
also technically i didn't use the stream operator in my example