Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grum
May 7, 2007
the thing people like about avx-512 over the earlier instruction sets is the mask registers. they make non big matrix code way easier. before, to branch on some vector lanes but not others, you needed to use bitwise ops to implement branchless selects and at a certain level of branchiness it just becomes pointless to vectorise, but with avx-512 you get party tricks like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grum
May 7, 2007
rails is omakase

Grum
May 7, 2007
on average they don't. if everyone writes using the same formalism communication becomes possible. remarkable

Grum
May 7, 2007
punted i/o

Grum
May 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

emulators like Duckstation (or maybe just Duckstation) can fix wobbly textures these days with some math that I’m sure I would not understand

working on an emulator seems like it would be right up my VM/compiler/performance alley, but I am always intimidated by the math part
the conspiracy among graphics peeps is to get interested lay people to write a ray tracer but what they never mention is that writing a software triangle rasterizer with perspective correct texture mapping is also a weekend project

Grum fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 24, 2023

Grum
May 7, 2007

prisoner of waffles posted:

apropos of chat about MATLAB, Julia, etc., I am just now reading Nick Trefethen's "An Applied Mathematician's Apology" and getting some vibes. The author is the head of the Numerical Analysis Group at Oxford.
✂✂✂

I've never read that of his but I have read his book Approximation Theory and Approximation Practice and I cannot recommend it enough to anyone with a vague interest in how to deal with continuous functions, computationally. the guys enthusiasm for the subject comes through incredibly well, the style is conversational, its easy to sit down and implement your own toy chebfun after, going between function samples and chebyshev polynomial coefficients feels like magic, just a really good book, love it. lecture videos on his website i think somewhere aswell

Grum
May 7, 2007
they should make a teaching version of rust that checks borrows and variable name typos at run time

Grum
May 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I’ve been suggested to learn react which I know is ultimately js/html but it’s to get some poo poo done. i’ll get my head round it. a concept with me making crimecommitter was pure js but when i’ve been reading about react seems like I can focus a bit more on the mechanics and less on it fundamentally displaying anything. but i’m just rambling now

doesn't work this way. the problem react solves is to allow facebook to a throw huge number of engineering teams, with limited ability to coordinate their changes due to the number of people involved, at facebook dot com. you take on that complexity when you decide to use react. you agree to hundreds of little implicit usage contracts that you need to keep straight in your head at all times and can only be learned by loving each one up at least one time

Grum
May 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

runtime symbol resolution for me, but not for thee

i like what sdl does, if you static link they slot in a jump table anyway. so nowadays my feelin is: why not both

Grum
May 7, 2007

leper khan posted:

markdown is also clownshoes. asciidoc predates it and is better in every way other than adoption (its also supported by github though)

markdown has a cooler name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grum
May 7, 2007
sup guys just got back from my job in the instrinsics mines