Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
~ effort poste ~

I love all the people that claim that js is suitable for large scale application development because there are libraries to do X, Y or Z. Never mind that most of them still suck for whatever reason (e.g. lacking or lovely documentation) so good luck picking the least bad out of the herd of contenders and are all generally developed by ADHD hipsters who will drop maintenance at the drop of a PBR: all of them can only do so much to hide the underlying language from you which is filled to the brim with weird behavior (if you think otherwise, you haven't used js very long... a small appetizer of crazy here: https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat). When somebody has to write a book specifically calling out which parts of your language are good, and it becomes a best-seller, that might be a hint that there's a big steaming pile of badness in your language too. It's not like somebody has had to write "C: The Good Parts."

The ultimate irony here is that none of the people jumping up and down about how awesome server-side js is have even an ounce of historical knowledge about their favorite best-ever-zomg-so-awesome-unicorns-and-puppies!!!! language. Javascript on the server-side was tried in the 1990s and was an utter failure (trivia quiz: without using Google, what servers even supported this?). It sucked for writing big apps then, it sucks for writing big apps now, and I'm seriously afraid that a generation of people will grow up thinking that JS is a good idea and waste both their lives and the time of the wiser heads that have to maintain their poo poo later on. I'm glad that you like writing performant server-side code, good on you, but realize that node is only (sort of, in some situations) fast because it embodies a particular design pattern, not because it happens to be javascript. You can write fast evented code in other languages that aren't formless blobs of over-hyped poo (and also note that event handling isn't the only way to skin a cat here).

JS is only tolerable in one place, and that's in the browser to drive event handlers and such for interactive things. That's only true because there aren't any other options (except vbs, lol).

I mean don't get me wrong, I sympathize with liking a language that's totally unsuitable for programming in the large. I liked perl for a long time. :v: But hell is other people's perl code. Say what you will about Java, it puts a hard upper limit on how completely insane you can be (sure there's a FactoryFactoryFactory but that code is still easier to read than somebody who thought it would be cool to write the monthly payroll cron job as one ten thousand character regexp or whatever the gently caress cat-on-keyboard spew you can find in the worst perl codebases). Like so many things, building solid systems requires picking the right tools for the job to hand, and JS is usually not the right tool. Much as you can use a screwdriver as a prybar though, people keep trying to do the wrong thing because they're too ignorant or lazy to reach for the right tools and just like in carpentry will end up hurting themselves or others.

I... guess I'm just :mad: about javascript. Sorry guys, as you were. I hear the bay area is neat? :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020

Rufo posted:

then this should definitely be your starting point. being able to understand formal logic and reading/writing proofs and WHAT A GRAPH IS is a fundamental skill in cs

you can forget most of what you did in calc cos its not reallllllly applicable much at this point

Kinda depends on where the calc I leaves off. Series come up often enough that being familiar with them is handy and sometimes that's like the tail end of a first-of-two-terms course, sometimes it's in the second-of-three-terms course in that sequence.

I struggled some with math tbqh (got it well enough to finish a degree in the "hard" sciences but really had to slog through it), but when I went back to school more or less on a lark and took discrete math it was kind of a HOLY poo poo experience. It was the first time I ever really super enjoyed a math class and it seemed so useful day to day. For what it's worth, the course used Rosen's discrete math text, 6th ed. (The solutions manual is also pretty good, so it might be useful for self-study as well as in the context of a course.)

Re: coursera being bootstrap, yeah, but they're like fresh off the starting block and seem to be spending most of their time working on actual course delivery stuff. Just finished the Algo I course with Roughgarden and it was pretty awesome. CLRS is kind of dense, but it was kind of the ultimate reference I'd turn to if something didn't make sense in lecture.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
I thought I hated php, then I got a project at work that has lead to crawling up its rear end with gdb.

gently caress YOU, ZEND!!

:psyboom:

At least there's PHP's wonderful documentation to fall back on.